What's your favorite Energy Drink?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wtm1114

Unremarkable
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. My definition for a good energy drink is one with a long duration, keeps you awake, but don't make you feel agitated. It's just like a I-dont-need-to-sleep pill. Of course I don't use it on a daily basis. It will be needed for the 24 hours before an exam. And I'm not a crammer.

Any recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

how bout "max velocity" ive only seen them in chicago, they are 99 cents at jewel.

Members don't see this ad :)
redbull - it tastes the best. since you're not a crammer, why not just go to bed early and get a good night's rest? i guess everyone's got their own style....

Just curious. My definition for a good energy drink is one with a long duration, keeps you awake, but don't make you feel agitated. It's just like a I-dont-need-to-sleep pill. Of course I don't use it on a daily basis. It will be needed for the 24 hours before an exam. And I'm not a crammer.

Any recommendation?

Surprisingly, water and a good nights sleep. Any of those caffeine-laden "energy" drinks make me jittery. I limit my coffee to one cup in the AM and one cup in the afternoon. Other than that, it's plenty of water (fight dehydration) and sleep for energy.

I personally can't stand the taste of Red Bull, Monster, or Rock Star. They all have a weird aftertaste.

I do like Starbucks doubleshot. Trader Joe's also has a triple shot version, which obviously has more espresso but I don't notice a difference. I think the Starbucks version adds caffeine.

I also like Archer Farms (Target brand) diet energy drink. It has a nice grapefruit, soda-like taste.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sparx. I love combining uppers and downers and giving myself a heart murmer.

Sugar Free Rockstar if its a weekday.

Pure will power.

No...that's not a name. I just use will power to stay awake. It works for me.

Go to starbucks and order a "venti double shot in the dark".

Just trust me.

tab energy drink, although i get sick of it. you can get it by the case in bjs/cosco and it comes out to about a dollar a can without the mess of making coffee/having coffee breath/having it stain your teeth.

my friend got asked this question in his med school interview.

my friend got asked this question in his med school interview.

I can imagine that it could look bad if you say that you drink a lot of energy drinks.

Ah, who needs energy drinks? You just crash a few hours later.

Stay hydrated and have a regular sleep schedule.

Diet Mountain Dew.

Of course I don't use it on a daily basis. It will be needed for the 24 hours before an exam.

shouldn't med students understand the concepts of compiling that only occur during sleep? i.e. you should always sleep before an exam to effectively utilize everything you may have learned/studied in the day leading up to the exam...njbmd has it right with the water/sleep combo.

1) Shouldn't this be a poll?

2) I am a two to three all-nighter type of crammer, so my preference has GOT to be good, right?
- 1st night--> monster (no more than 2-3+ unlimited diet mountain dew)
- 2nd night--> more monster and dew, throw in some thick, black coffee
- 3rd night --> the auditory/visual hallucinations will keep you awake

I drink really strong tea, but only in the morning (including taking it with me to the hospital in the best coffee mug ever made by Oxo). Diet Dr. Pepper or Diet Mountain Dew at lunch, so I can sleep at night.

Red bull - if I need a real kick

Monster otherwise...it just goes down easier and is more enjoyable.

Thank you to all the replies.

Just to answer some questions and clarify several things:

1. I sleep 8 hours a day, faithfully

2. I study 8 hours a day (in addition to attending lectures), faithfully

3. Why do I still need energy drink then? Three reasons.

First, The medical school I go to (will not mention the name for political reasons) is simply going nuts in terms of class competition. You just have to utilize all means to move upstream in the class rank. So if your peers stay up all night before the exam IN ADDITION TO studying everyday, you'd better do it.

Second, the amount of information, especially that which needs pure memorization, is overwhelming. Establishing long-term memory for such information is hard, therefore short-term memory (24 hours before exam) is extremely handy.

Last, it is unclear about what kind of role sleep plays in terms of knowledge condensation. Some says "sleep is knowledge incubation." Some says "sleep is knowledge dissipation." If I have to take a stance in this debate, I'd go with the latter argument. So pseudo-cramming* before the exam should be a good idea.

* "Pseudo-cramming" is a term invented by me to describe studying like mad before the exam in addition to studying regularly everyday.

:love:ROCKSTAR:love:

Haha...even though it makes you pee green...anyone else notice that? Maybe that only happens if you drink nothing else for 12 hours straight..hmm...

coffee, monster, or a good old slurpee ;)

I used to eat to keep from dozing off :sleep:, but now its just Tea. I think its mostly a placebo effect because I drink really diluted tea (1 tea bag for each 17oz). I take a thermos bottle filled with tea (and splenda :love:) to class everyday. It really helps me :rolleyes:.

Thank you to all the replies.

Just to answer some questions and clarify several things:

1. I sleep 8 hours a day, faithfully

2. I study 8 hours a day (in addition to attending lectures), faithfully

3. Why do I still need energy drink then? Three reasons.

First, The medical school I go to (will not mention the name for political reasons) is simply going nuts in terms of class competition. You just have to utilize all means to move upstream in the class rank. So if your peers stay up all night before the exam IN ADDITION TO studying everyday, you'd better do it.

Second, the amount of information, especially that which needs pure memorization, is overwhelming. Establishing long-term memory for such information is hard, therefore short-term memory (24 hours before exam) is extremely handy.

Last, it is unclear about what kind of role sleep plays in terms of knowledge condensation. Some says "sleep is knowledge incubation." Some says "sleep is knowledge dissipation." If I have to take a stance in this debate, I'd go with the latter argument. So pseudo-cramming* before the exam should be a good idea.

* "Pseudo-cramming" is a term invented by me to describe studying like mad before the exam in addition to studying regularly everyday.

And I would argue that there is a point where studying is useless even if you are high on caffeine. I've tried to late-night cramming thing, and it doesn't work for me.

steady diet of Mountain Dew. it just tastes so good.

I don't really rely on the caffeine a whole lot - I can't really sense it very well. I've found that chewing gum or munching on little snacks will keep me awake. Likewise with heavy metal.

I'm just curious if anyone might be able to answer this...

I've noticed a lot of low-calorie, sugarless energy drinks recently... are they any less effective than the regular stuff? I was planning to conduct a little personal investigation but I thought I'd ask here since I stumbled on to this thread...

Coffee.

When that isn't working, I turn to ephedra. Especially during histo class.

What what?! Where from!? :eek:

I miss that stuff.

Nowadays I stick with double espressos, sugar-free red bulls, and the occasional straight-up caffeine pill. If you're staying up to study (not because you have 3 women all dilated past 7cm and it's only 2 am) then try eating sunflower seeds (with the shells on). Gives you something to keep your mouth occupied and something to take care of that semi-conscious mind-wandering level that happens sometimes.

Anyone else think Red Bull tastes like watered down carbonated Dimetapp?

Indeed, redbull tastes nasty.

Ephedra is easy to get since they made it legal again (for how long, who knows?). Most supplement stores have it - or online.

!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why didn't I hear of this?!

*runs barefoot to the nearest GNC*

EDIT: From bodybuilding.com:

"Campbell's Decision:
A Step In The Right Direction.

After reviewing the evidence submitted to the court by the plaintiffs, Judge Tena Campbell ruled that the FDA has to reevaluate their decision to ban ephedrine alkaloid containing supplements, and also are prohibited from taking any enforcement action against the plaintiffs to prevent the sale of their dietary supplement containing 10 mg or less of ephedrine alkaloids per daily dose.

While former hardcore ephedra product users may not get excited about taking a product that just contains 10 mg or less of ephedrine alkaloids per daily dose (most of the ephedra product of days gone by supplied daily dosages several times more than this per day), Judge Campbell's court order is a win for the dietary supplement industry and dietary supplement taking public.

The FDA is now forced by Judge Campbell's court order to review the data and establish regulations consistent with what science proves about ephedrine alkaloid containing supplements like ephedra; putting political pressure aside.

Judge Campbell's Two Main Points Of Consideration:

1. Whether FDA's use of a risk-benefit model is appropriate under the conditions of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA); and
2. Whether the FDA has provided sufficient evidence to support the conclusion that ephedrine dietary supplements containing 10 milligrams or less of ephedrine alkaloids pose a significant or unreasonable risk of illness or injury.

Due to the fact that supplements are regulated as foods, not drugs, and under present law a dietary supplement, as with any food, is presumed to be safe. Additionally food producers are not required to establish a benefit before the sale of the product. This places the burden of proof on the FDA that a food or dietary supplement product is injurious to health.

The court therefore concluded that FDA's actions leading up to its decision to ban ephedrine containing products was contrary to the intent of Congress and improper. However, please note that there were other complex related legal issues involved in this part of the decision.

Judge Campbell also found that the FDA did not provide evidence to support the conclusion that consumption of ephedrine dietary supplements containing 10 milligrams or less per day of ephedrine alkaloids pose a significant or unreasonable risk of illness or injury.

To declare all ephedrine dietary supplements adulterated, as FDA has done, the FDA must prove that any dosage amount presents a significant or unreasonable risk of illness or injury. The FDA failed to provide scientific evidence that low-dosage ephedrine dietary supplement intake poses unreasonable or significant risk or illness or injury."

From Solaray's Website

The Ephedra Decision: The Real Story

On April 14th, 2005, a Federal District Court in Utah ruled against FDA's ban on low-dose ephedra products. The plaintiffs were Nutraceutical Corporation and its subsidiary Solaray. We sued not just to protect our ephedra product, but to protect your access to other supplements. The FDA subsequently appealed the decision to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals and on August 17th, 2006, the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals reversed and remanded. Nutraceutical subsequently petitioned for a rehearing but its petition was denied. Nutraceutical subsequently filed a petition for a writ of certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court. On May 14, 2007, Nutraceutical's petition was denied.

In the meantime, Nutraceutical filed a motion for summary judgment with the Federal District Court in Utah, and FDA responded with a cross-motion for summary judgment. On March 16th, 2007, the Federal District Court in Utah ruled in favor of FDA. However, in its decision, the District Court held that the risk-benefit test announced in FDA's decision only applied to dietary supplements containing ephedrine alkaloids. Neither Nutraceutical nor FDA appealed this decision. See the press release issued by Nutraceutical's lawyer announcing the decision not to appeal further.

Coffee is the best energy drink. A little hard on the GI tract, and can make you jittery.

I usually drink 16-20 oz in the morning and bring a thermos with 26 oz capacity to last me through the afternoon.

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned, but here's a little drink that packs a big punch. It's called Spark (Morning Spark to be exact) and it comes in little individual serving size packets. It's kind of like a crystal light packet, but with double the amount of caffeine as red bull (80mg per serving, 2 servings per packet --> 120 mg per packet).

Why Spark is better than other stuff?

1) It actually tastes good. There are multiple flavors (orange, cranberry and grapefruit are good...apple, not so much). IMHO, the orange flavor tastes like Tang...you remember, the old school drink that everyone loves.
2) Like i mentioned before, it's double the amount of caffeine in red bull.
3) It's less than $3.00 for a box containing 10 packets!!!! So, you're ultimately getting the caffeine equivalent of 20 red bulls for just about the cost of 1.
4) It only has 5 calories.
5) You actually get 100% of your vitamin C. (caffeine and fighting scurvy at the same time....what a deal!)

I know i sound like an ad for this thing, but in all honesty, I really just enjoy drinking it. And, it's very portable (i keep a couple packets in my back pack) and easy to make (add to bottle/nalgene of water).

bunch of freakin wimps in here . . . coffee, drink it black - no calories, it's like water, 'cept better which makes it cheap.

If you get used to the coffee, which is ubiquitous as MRSA in a hospital you'll never go without energy again