What's your favorite studying food and drink?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CHAINCHOMPER

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Food - Pringles Buffalo Chips

Drink - Jack Daniels

Members don't see this ad.

pfft...peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole wheat with a glass of orange juice

Beer is your friend.

But for studying, caffeine-laced whatever. Diet Coke, Diet Mt. Dew, Coffee with Splenda, diet energy drink, water.

Members don't see this ad :)
anything sweet or salty (but not both) in my pantry

*EDIT*

specifically,

honey-roasted almonds, dark chocolate covered cherries, and oranges. Lots of oranges.

Red Bull and chips/candy from the vending machine.

Hot Pockets! Ugh, I can't move...

i try not to eat or drink anything, but it usually ends up being pita chips w/ baba ghanouj and diet coke or sprite zero

Beer is your friend.

But for studying, caffeine-laced whatever. Diet Coke, Diet Mt. Dew, Coffee with Splenda, diet energy drink, water.

i try not to eat or drink anything, but it usually ends up being pita chips w/ baba ghanouj and diet coke or sprite zero

DIET? That's not too smart...Neurons can only metabolize glucose so eating something with sugar or at least carbs/fat is pretty important.

Sushi
Buffalo Chicken finger Subs
Swedish fish
Monster Energy drink
Vitamin Water (the one with lots of vitamin C)

Post-exam: beers...lots of them.

DIET? That's not too smart...Neurons can only metabolize glucose so eating something with sugar or at least carbs/fat is pretty important.

Sushi
Swedish fish
Monster Energy drink

nice ninja edit.

my methods have worked pretty well thus far, young padawan.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sushi
Swedish fish
Monster Energy drink

He's right actually, studies have shown improved motivation and performance of mental tasks when the person is allowed to drink digestable sugar-based drinks rather than the no-calories drinks.

He's right actually, studies have shown improved motivation and performance of mental tasks when the person is allowed to drink digestable sugar-based drinks rather than the no-calories drinks.

studies have also shown that my awesome ECs and sweet MCAT were powered by diet soft drinks ;)

studies have also shown that my awesome ECs and sweet MCAT were powered by diet soft drinks ;)

sounds like show and tell time ;)

My anecdotal evidence shows that my studying last night for my neuroanatomy exam using sugar-based drinks was less effective then my studying today with aspartame-based drinks. Maybe being too buzzed on sugar is counteracting my ability to focus. Besides, your liver will provide sugar as needed.

Diet Cherry Coke and pretzels...sometimes I also will much on carrots and rarely I break out candy... oh and always mexican food for dinner!

Mt. Dew and Sunchips (or something else to snack on).

I go through about 6 Mt. dews a day (depends how late I stay up and how many classes I have that day). My wall is covered, literally, in cardboard 12-pack mt. dew boxes.

So I did a little lit search and these are some interest studies that came up:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1467-9280.2008.02077.x
According to this one, your brain is more likely to perform "effortful processes" if drinking lemonade sweetened with sugar rather than art. sweetner.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
But this study says low glucose level (by mild food deprivation) doesn't have an effect on the brain's ability to perform mental tasks. However, food deprevation seems a little far fetched from the discussion of sugar drinks v.s. no sugar drinks since we are talking about fast sugar here and food is a little general. (edit: I included this one to be fair)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
This one tests a direct glucose shot in an animal (mouse) study to see if the mouse perform better in a memory task. Appearently higher dose glucose injections resulted in better performance. Didn't read the article but I wanted to see if they gave the mouse in all treatment arms enough food anyways.

This one showed limited improvement in only very difficult mental tasks for people that take glucose solutions. However, I didn't see if the control solution used artificial sweeteners or was just water (I figured they would use the sweeteners if this was a good study)

This is kind of common sense but it shows that energy drinks w/ caffine and sugar help to incrase selective attention. Which I would imagine is useful when studying.

This is like the previous one but with nicotine for all you smoking pre-meds.

Okay and there were a LOT of study suggesting sugar drinks gives you better attention rate, memory performance, etc. However to be fair not all of them clearly stated using sweeteners in the control group, so I didn't mention them all.

But I recognize that maybe if you see studying as fun... then you don't need motivation or a lot of mental effort to force yourself to study. Or ofcoures if you have some physiological issue that makes you hate ingesting a lot of fast acting sugar. But for the rest of us, I would say sugar drinks > non-sugar drinks.

Arizona ice tea when I am not tired Arizona "Caution" when I am tired.
Food wise I love to eat me some jellybeans or starburst.

My anecdotal evidence shows that my studying last night for my neuroanatomy exam using sugar-based drinks was less effective then my studying today with aspartame-based drinks. Maybe being too buzzed on sugar is counteracting my ability to focus. Besides, your liver will provide sugar as needed.

i :love:medical students.. you guys are so cool *drool* cannot wait to be one of you
:hardy:

Coffee and chocolate-covered espresso beans. Or, if I'm real hard up, used coffee grinds.

So I did a little lit search and these are some interest studies that came up:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1467-9280.2008.02077.x
According to this one, your brain is more likely to perform "effortful processes" if drinking lemonade sweetened with sugar rather than art. sweetner.

But this study says low glucose level (by mild food deprivation) doesn't have an effect on the brain's ability to perform mental tasks. However, food deprevation seems a little far fetched from the discussion of sugar drinks v.s. no sugar drinks since we are talking about fast sugar here and food is a little general. (edit: I included this one to be fair)

This one tests a direct glucose shot in an animal (mouse) study to see if the mouse perform better in a memory task. Appearently higher dose glucose injections resulted in better performance. Didn't read the article but I wanted to see if they gave the mouse in all treatment arms enough food anyways.

This one showed limited improvement in only very difficult mental tasks for people that take glucose solutions. However, I didn't see if the control solution used artificial sweeteners or was just water (I figured they would use the sweeteners if this was a good study)

This is kind of common sense but it shows that energy drinks w/ caffine and sugar help to incrase selective attention. Which I would imagine is useful when studying.

This is like the previous one but with nicotine for all you smoking pre-meds.

Okay and there were a LOT of study suggesting sugar drinks gives you better attention rate, memory performance, etc. However to be fair not all of them clearly stated using sweeteners in the control group, so I didn't mention them all.

But I recognize that maybe if you see studying as fun... then you don't need motivation or a lot of mental effort to force yourself to study. Or ofcoures if you have some physiological issue that makes you hate ingesting a lot of fast acting sugar. But for the rest of us, I would say sugar drinks > non-sugar drinks.

What about the effect of stabbing yourself with an epi-pen on alertness? :p

Seriously though, I've used tobacco, adderall, coke, no doze and many other things as study aides, but the best of all is still carbohydrates. In moderation though because too much will make you sleepy as hell.

What about the effect of stabbing yourself with an epi-pen on alertness? :p

are you volunteering to be in my study? ;)

Seriously though, I've used tobacco, adderall, coke, no doze and many other things as study aides, but the best of all is still carbohydrates. In moderation though because too much will make you sleepy as hell.

Yeah I think each person needs to find his own optimum threshold for sugar.

Brain food, a.k.a, Tim Horton's cookies.

i chug starbucks grande iced cafe americano - no sugar nothing. then i drink water to get rid of the taste in my mouth.

Twizzlers!!! They are so delicious. Before I know it, I've eaten 10 and they don't make me full at all.

I usually don't drink sugary drinks so I stick with water.

Twizzlers!!! They are so delicious. Before I know it, I've eaten 10 and they don't make me full at all.

I usually don't drink sugary drinks so I stick with water.

With a name like that, you aren't one of us chocolate covered espresso bean aficionados? :(

A bag of Sun-Maid Raisins.

Red Balls..... Cocaine in a can.

With a name like that, you aren't one of us chocolate covered espresso bean aficionados? :(

I love those little addictive beans. I learned about them my freshman year and have to fight the urge to buy ten bags of the stuff every time I come near the chocolate isle at Giant Eagle.... So good...

I usually put them in the freezer and eat them when they are really cold. You should try it.

I always want to buy a pack when I see them at Peet's or Starbucks, but I haven't eaten enough to determine whether I really like them or not.

Bagel Bites! I love those things even if they are just crappy microwave junk food. And lots and lots of Pepsi.

Vault Zero

No food really. Maybe Wendy's on the way to the library but thats it.

By far cranberry juice is my favorite drink.

As for food, maybe a poptart or something. Food is usually too distracting though.

I actually love milk (whole) while studying, or anything really. I go through a gallon in about 4 days or so. Too bad there isn't always some around in my room. :(

As for food, I'll eat anything I got, I'm a hungry college student. I do prefer Cheez-Its though.

I actually love milk (whole) while studying, or anything really. I go through a gallon in about 4 days or so. Too bad there isn't always some around in my room.

I heart milk too, but it has a bagillion calories and I am trying to keep off some weight that I lost in the first 3 months of the year. :thumbdown:

Also I am paranoid that low-calorie dieting is harming my brain, despite all of the evidence to the contrary.

jones 24c red cranberry...that stuff is like crack

Food- Twizzlers (gotta go with the lowfat!) :)

Drink- Coke or energy drink (makes up for my lowfat candy hehe)

I actually study best on an empty stomach, but if I start getting a headache, I like to eat a couple of Red Vines.

Red Vines>>>>>>>Twizzlers, and they are also fat free:)

Drinks: Coffee if I am really sleepy, otherwise H2O is good. I do not drink the energy drinks, cuz I have no idea what is really in them:scared: Soda... I guess coke, if I have run out of coffee, but only because of the caffeine content

I heart milk too, but it has a bagillion calories and I am trying to keep off some weight that I lost in the first 3 months of the year. :thumbdown:

Also I am paranoid that low-calorie dieting is harming my brain, despite all of the evidence to the contrary.

Good for you! I guess I'm lucky that I don't need to count calories, otherwise I'd be GINORMOUS. :eek: