What's your Guilty Pleasure when you aren't studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DUDE Me too! Anybody here into chess or anime?

Both chess and anime. Do you play actual USCF tourney's? And if so, what is your rating?

Members don't see this ad.

Both chess and anime. Do you play actual USCF tourney's? And if so, what is your rating?

Its been 2 years since my last tourney but I had a rating of around 1450 back then. I had such insane beginner's luck too. In my very first tourney game, I drew a 1700 =D yay for ridiculously drawish boring openings. Later on, I got into much more risky stuff (fried liver, grand prix, etc) and my performance dropped but it was much more fun. How about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, honestly everything I do for fun (including drinking) in my time off I really don't feel guilty about. I dunno, eh screw it just for the sake of answering put me down for being as lazy as possible....although to be perfectly frank, I don't feel guilty about that either. :p

Altering my mental status in various ways. Oh, and I never feel guilty about doing it either. But I'm an ******* with no morals, so it's to be expected.

flying and driving

w00t sports pilots license FTW

I don't feel guilty about any of these, but, since you asked...

Dancing, singing (professional lessons...and, yes...sometimes in the shower :D), watching a TON of movies, and shopping!

yeah but did you see how Tyra got faaaaaaaat....:D
Omg, I was looking at her arms the other day when they were having a marathon. She must've taken a deep liking to fried chicken after her Victoria's Secret contract let up.

Flavor of love... isn't that one with the guy who wears a viking helpet, a clock amulet, has amazingly bad teeth, and looks like a homeless person they picked up from the streets of Oakland?

Although I figured you would watch celeberty apprentice too if you are into the reality TV celeberty thing XD
Yes, that's him! I feel like such a bad person now. I don't watch it for him, of course. I like to see what those catty girls are going to do to one another.

I watched apprentice when Omarosa was on it. Haven't since then. But I am a celeb-gossip junkie :laugh:

Its been 2 years since my last tourney but I had a rating of around 1450 back then. I had such insane beginner's luck too. In my very first tourney game, I drew a 1700 =D yay for ridiculously drawish boring openings. Later on, I got into much more risky stuff (fried liver, grand prix, etc) and my performance dropped but it was much more fun. How about you?

I sort of stopped playing after the beginning of college. I was a mid Class B at that point. I remember starting off and being terrible (think 800-900). Though I remember my performance starting to tail off at the end when I just started showing up at tourneys without any preparation. I always played conservative openings (think London/Torre for White, and slav/caro-kann for Black). I knew almost no openings but I was a monster at calculating. I think my strongest part of the game was endgame and mid-game tactics.

I do the normal guilty pleasure stuff too, but I thought I'd throw this in:

When I was a Chemistry major I wasted time reading Cell Biology articles
When I was a Cell Biology major I spent countless hours reading physics
I have crammed my brain with so much science that after graduation I picked up one fiction novel after another until I was dead tired of that.
Now I just play on SDN and watch television all day.

the only thing i feel guilty about is enjoying awful top 40 radio crap

i admit to it if you ask me point blank irl though

I have read probably about 30% of the manga uploaded on www.onemanga.com

I guess that would make me an addict of anime of sort :D

haha me too! :p i also read novels (the genre varies depending on my mood... recently i've been into the classics - currently reading wuthering heights)

Members don't see this ad :)
Real Housewives of New York, and fashion magazines.

I play sports and try to maintain some degree of a social life, so those are my two when I really don't want to do anything productive or involving effort.

Hunt ducks like there is no tomorrow. Bass fishing. Fly fishing. Hunt more ducks. Plenty of time to get wasted when it is not hunting season. Like now. :thumbup:

haha me too! :p i also read novels (the genre varies depending on my mood... recently i've been into the classics - currently reading wuthering heights)

I say 30% becuase the rest of the 70% of manga on that site is all shoujo... which I hate with a passion!!! :p

Except when I used to watch fushigi yuugi and his or her circumstances... those don't count!

I watched apprentice when Omarosa was on it. Haven't since then. But I am a celeb-gossip junkie :laugh:

Hm... you live in california, guess that's a perfect place for celeb-gossip! :D

magic: yes
chess: yes
DnD: yes
anime: no

Sweet, people are still into magic and D&D. You know this means during those late night studying parties in med school, I'm going to bust out my T1 deck and some dice right? :laugh:

Sweet, people are still into magic and D&D. You know this means during those late night studying parties in med school, I'm going to bust out my T1 deck and some dice right? :laugh:

You know it. I say that once we're in med school, we all should just let our geek hang out. Theres no point hiding it any longer.

I say 30% becuase the rest of the 70% of manga on that site is all shoujo... which I hate with a passion!!! :p

Except when I used to watch fushigi yuugi and his or her circumstances... those don't count!

Ah Fushigi Yuugi... bad memories of when I skipped class for 2 days to binge on it (no sleep too). I did the same thing with FMA anime as well. I'm currently reading the holy shounen trinity as well as a few other random manga titles (tsubasa RC, berserk, gantz, school rumble, mahou sensei negima)...

Motorboating--Wedding Crasher's style. :D

The hills, flavor of love, and other dumb shows on vh1 and mtv

Booze, and Playstation. Thats all I can go to wuthought getting a R-rating.

I think sex it pretty fun. Alchohol is nice too.

EDIT: Looking back at this post it doens't look very doctoresque haha :)

I think sex it pretty fun. Alchohol is nice too.

EDIT: Looking back at this post it doens't look very doctoresque haha :)

Sure it's doctoresque! How do you think we get those "my dad is a doctor, shouldn't I get in?" guys..

Sure it's doctoresque! How do you think we get those "my dad is a doctor, shouldn't I get in?" guys..

I wish someone would go into an interview and say, "I deserve to be a doctor becuase my dad is one and he says drinking is his favorite thing in the world and I can out drink even him!"

Super Smash Bros Brawl!!! Oh And Tennis, Youtube Videos (like Anime I Used To Watch Back In The Day), And Of Course Napping Or Eating

Hunt ducks like there is no tomorrow. Bass fishing. Fly fishing. Hunt more ducks. Plenty of time to get wasted when it is not hunting season. Like now. :thumbup:

+1 - getting wasted

I download entire seasons of network shows like CSI, House, Dexter, Scrubs, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and watch them back to back for like 10 episodes at a time.

What about Breaking Bad???

Finding curvy roads to drive really fast on.

wine, crossword puzzles, and magazines.. usually simultaneously. and Yoga to balance my life.

Playing Pat Benetar covers on my keytar while gold farming on WoW. Oh yea, and sometimes I make home made pumpkin soup.

Me? I like the sauce.

I also like CDs of Broadway musicals, but that's a whole other can o' worms.

XBOX 360 and Infomercials.
Preferably Time Life Music and the Bowflex, doesn't matter if I seen them a hundred times I still watch them.
Xbox games tend to be football and first person shooters.

Cup of hot tea or cider and 2 episodes Will and Grace, 2 of Frasier, 2 of The Golden Girls, 1 of The Nanny then sleeptime, ahh Lifetime:laugh: Although I'm usually out by the time The Nanny comes on.

Right now I'm on Frasier

The one's I feel guilty about:
-Sitting on the couch watching several hours worth of the episodes I watch (Scrubs, Gilmore Girls, Firefly, House, Charmed)
-Eating the cookies I like to bake

The one's I don't feel guilty about:
-Running
-Baking/Cooking
-Going out to the bars

I have become such a political news junkie. I'm kinda burned out on it now though, so I guess I'll have to find something new. At least The Office is back now.

My other hobby is working the system with airlines in order to score better seats and upgrades. I'm 6'5" and how painful flying across the country in coach is depends a lot on where you sit. Kind of random, but you know what they say about necessity.

redbull.jpg
:love:

The one's I feel guilty about:
-Sitting on the couch watching several hours worth of the episodes I watch (Scrubs, Gilmore Girls, Firefly, House, Charmed)
-Eating the cookies I like to bake

The one's I don't feel guilty about:
-Running
-Baking/Cooking
-Going out to the bars

rory is soooo hot. ive been attracted to her for over 4 years now. hottie!!i hope i run into girls like that in new hampshire.not like this california trash ive been stuck with

Sleep. it's amazing

Last edited:
During off time I'll run/jog and get some sun at the beach/pool.
But a guilty pleasure?
:idea:
OK- Law & Order (the original- where D.A. Jack McCoy kicks *** and takes names). Nip/Tuck is good too- :thumbup: