What's your implant to explant ratio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

101N

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey:

Just started wondering about this. What's your DCS implant to explant ratio?
I'll post mine when I figure it out.

I guess there is alway's the possibility that we don't really know cause they get explanted elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Caveat: strickly speaking I've had no explants because I refer all successful trials for a paddle.

In my last 50 implants I am aware of three explants. One had good coverage but found the paresthesia annoying after about 6mo. One had persistent pain at the IPG site- in spite of heroic efforts including offered revision - and one had 'painful' paresthesias dorsal to the paddle site when sitting.

All explants were female, all had a primary dx of FBSS, all passed either formal psych screening or a BBHI2, and all occurred w/i 4/6mo of paddle implant. There were no lead migrations or technical failures.

Caveat: strickly speaking I've had no explants because I refer all successful trials for a paddle.

In my last 50 implants I am aware of three explants. One had good coverage but found the paresthesia annoying after about 6mo. One had persistent pain at the IPG site- in spite of heroic efforts including offered revision - and one had 'painful' paresthesias dorsal to the paddle site when sitting.

All explants were female, all had a primary dx of FBSS, all passed either formal psych screening or a BBHI2, and all occurred w/i 4/6mo of paddle implant. There were no lead migrations or technical failures.

I also refer successful trials for a paddle. Explants were a little higher. 6 out of 53 last I checked.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have explanted one person in 6 years...

I've got a drawer with over 20 batteries. None were my trials, one was my implant. I am explanting a system I put in 2 years ago later this week. Pain still there, paresthesias still there, relief from parasthesias is gone. Multiple attempts of reprogramming tried by top rep in the country.

i have explanted one person in 6 years...

yes...but how many of your patients were explanted by someone else.....hard to tell but i bet that your ratio is higher than 1 in 6 years if you are doing an average number of cases....usually not a technique issue just a chronic pain patient issue...

yes...but how many of your patients were explanted by someone else.....hard to tell but i bet that your ratio is higher than 1 in 6 years if you are doing an average number of cases....usually not a technique issue just a chronic pain patient issue...

I put a lot less in than theca average guy as I am super selective. But yes, I am sure someone got explanted by someone else. I gotta really like the patient to put a stim in, and I don't like most chronic pain patients...