what's your Learning Styles for USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gayret

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello guys,
i am very curious about your Learning Styles or your study strategies for this exam? would you mind to share some of your tips with us? thank you very much

Members don't see this ad.

Gayret said:
hello guys,
i am very curious about your Learning Styles or your study strategies for this exam? would you mind to share some of your tips with us? thank you very much

I haven't started studying yet, but I've heard the best thing to do is to approach the USMLE as you would any other exam i.e. don't deviate from strategies that've worked for you in your first two years of med school. For me, this involves a lot of writing...I cement things in my mind by writing them out. I plan to use First aid as a template of sorts (I removed the spine and 3-hole punched it so it will fit into a binder) and add to the margin or seperate sheets of paper the notes I take from various review books.

Gayret said:
hello guys,
i am very curious about... your study strategies for this exam?

My strategy is to not waste a bunch of time on SDN asking pointless questions...

BlackNDecker said:
My strategy is to not waste a bunch of time on SDN asking pointless questions...
Might want to expand on your strategy by also not making pointless statements.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrPak said:
Might want to expand on your strategy by also not making pointless statements.

Oh the irony...someone who blogs lecturing me on making pointless statements. :laugh:

1. I tried to do as much Qbank as possible. I ended up finishing 84%. I thought this was very very helpful. The actual Step 1 format is just like Qbank. Read all of the answer explanations for all of the answer choices, even for questions you get right. The more times you read something the better it sinks in, trust me.

2. I studied the hell out of First Aid. I wish I made notes during 1st and 2nd year or at least read through the material and learned the mneumonics to become familiar with them. In any case, try to learn as much of this book as possible. It really is your bible for Step 1.

3. I supplemented with review books like BRS and HY. Don't go overboard with these b/c there is so much info even though they are condensed books compared to text books. You will NOT be able to memorize everything, so don't even have that expectation going in. Try to memorize as much as possible of what seems to be high yield. Forget minute details. The specific books I used were HY Behavioral, Neuroanatomy, and Embryo, and BRS phys.

4. Know how much time to spend on each subject. I spent 75% of my time on path, pathophys, and phys. Spend a decent amount of time on neuro and biochem. I'd say the lowest yield subjects are behavioral, embryo, and definitely anatomy (I studied anatomy for 1/2 a day).

5. NBME practice tests are for sale on their website for $45. You don't get the answers at the end, but they're old Step 1 questions that will give you a feel for the real Step 1 questions. They're different than Qbank questions a little bit I thought. The tests are online and they give you a score at the end that I have heard correlates pretty well with your final Step 1 score. I didn't choose to take these because I thought it would bother me if I did poorly. But some of my friends thought they were really helpful.

I hope that helps!