What's your least favorite subject to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red Beard

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really, really, REALLY hate memorizing the names and details of the bazillion drugs we cover with each system.

You?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacolgy is by far the worst for me.

Pathway A converges with Pathway B and Pathway C, but dependent upon enzyme AB +.....

I dislike the whole pathway memorization thing.

Hate biochem memorization, but love some molecular, has to do with undergrad

I'm gonna go with Embryology...I never "got it."

So far: biochem. Hands down. I mean, really, who remembers those stupid freakin' enzymes for every freakin' little reaction for the entire biochemical pathway?!?!?!?! Ridiculous.

Add me to the biochem list. Too many irrelevant small details. Gross anatomy is a close second. School's gotten so much better after first semester.

Studying for the OSCEs is the worst to me. We get 5 minutes to run through a check list like the one below with an SP, all the while getting pimped by the doctor with questions like "What is the normal span of the liver MCL? how about mid-sternal? How would you position the patient to hear MVP? how about aortic stenosis?"

Many of the lists overlap - ie eye exam was on 3 of the lists we did this semester, but was performed slightly differently on each. I really like physical exam - it's probably one of the few classes where I really see that the info will be used on a daily basis for the rest of my career, but it's just so painful to study and be tested like this. I have put sooo many hours into this "3 credit" class...and still feel like I couldn't ID hepatomegaly to save my life.

ABDOMINAL EXAMINATION

Performed Omitted
I. KNOCKS ON DOOR & INTRODUCES SELF
II. APPROACH
A. Patient supine
B. Expose abdomen
C. Examiner on patient’s right side
III. INSPECTION – description only
A. Skin
1. Rashes / lesions
2. Dilated Veins
3. Scars
B. Umbilicus
1. Inflammation
2. Hernia
C. Contour of the abdomen
1. General
2. Hernias -- umbilical
3. Masses
IV. AUSCULTATION
A. Before palpation or percussion
B. Bowel sounds
1. Character and frequency
2. All four quadrants
C. Bruits and rubs
1. Liver
2. Renal arteries
3. Aorta
4. Femoral
V. PERCUSSION
A. Four quadrants – gas patterns, dullness
B. Appropriate technique
C. Liver span – hepatomegaly, cirrhosis
VI. PALPATION
A. Technique
1. Watch facial expressions
2. Painful area last -- Question

Performed Omitted
B. Light palpation – one hand
1. Tenderness
2 Masses
3. Guarding
C. Deep palpation – two hands
1. Rigidity
2. Rebound tenderness
3. Masses
4. Organomegaly
D. Liver edge on deep inspiration
E Spleen – from umbilicus to LUQ
F. Kidney – catch
G. Aorta – estimate size
H. CVA tenderness
VII. SPECIAL TESTS
A. Ascites
1. Shifting dullness
2. Fluid wave
B. Acute abdomen
1. Rovsing’s sign – pain in RLQ with LLQ pressure
2. Psoas sign – flexion and extension of hip
3. Oburator sign – flex hip and internally rotate
4. Rigidity
5. Rebound tenderness
6. Guarding
C. Cholecystitis – Murphy’s sign

Nephrology

Thank god im not the only one that finds this to be the most useless organ on earth. The kidney may be the trooper and hold out when everything else is going but once it goes your screwed so why bother studying it.

this is like shooting in the dark...as so much of what is studied during the first 2 years becomes COMPLETELY useless after you've taken your first round of board exams...but I'm going to go with Pharmacology as well. Sure, some of it is applicable...but there was something about memorizing the mechanisms of two dozen cancer drugs that just didn't push my happy button.

Thank god im not the only one that finds this to be the most useless organ on earth. The kidney may be the trooper and hold out when everything else is going but once it goes your screwed so why bother studying it.

Blasphemy! It's the master organ.

I would imagine that all subjects eventually reach the level of "suck," and mindnumbing boredom.

I'm going to have to also go w/ biochem w/ gross anatomy being a close 2nd. Ugh....

By far my worst and least favorite subjects during the first two years were biochem (lowest exam and course grade) and micro (poorly taught and a pain in the a$$). That's why I'm busting my but this week to get my biochem and micro up to snuff for the USMLE and COMLEX. Anyone else taking step 1 this week?

shyrem, why would you say biochem? Isn't that interesting that as a fellow UNE student, biochem is also probably also my least favor subject... hmmm... ;)