Whats your Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Biology
minors in Chemistry and Spanish

To be honest, the other options don't really interest me, so rather than be somebody I'm not, I'll blend in with lots of the others. It's not like being a bio major keeps you out - 50% of med students WERE bio majors (at UW-Madison, specifically).

Members don't see this ad :)
Economics with a minor in chemistry. Finance is cool, premedtomed; it is very important to get a grasp on markets. I would stay away from econ, unless your school doesn't use calculus. Adcoms don't understand the difficulty. I had to learn differential equations for my major, but it was taught through the econ dept., so it didn't count as BCPM.

Psychology

(Nothing creative here- my school only offers about 20-something majors)

Interdisciplinary Studies, though now that I am in my senior year I wish I had been an English major all along. By the way, the director of admissions at UT Southwestern told me himself that they don't care what your major is when considering your application.

Biology Major
Physics/Astronomy Minor

so would polisci or international relations/studies be fine?

history. thats about it.

douche said:
so would polisci or international relations/studies be fine?

No. When they say that ANY major is acceptable, they really mean any major except for that one. :smuggrin:

Biochemistry and Economics Double Major..... Chemistry Minor.

Computer Science - C&O double major.

Totally not medschool related. I finished and then started over in Biology. :(

Oh yeah, try this for not related...corporate communication major, interpersonal comm minor.

Members don't see this ad :)
computer science, I get my ass handed to me everyday. Bastard nerds, don't care about your effort just want to see programs. Bad thing is that in my graduation I was the only pre-med comp sci. So, schools couldn't see how hard of a major it really was. Don't get me wrong, i don't believe in an easy major, just one's that repeatedly abuse you. Needless to say, med schools don't give a sheyaaaaaaat. All they care about is the nice 3.7. If you have that and you're not bio, that's when they'll lick your balls. Oh and being unique ain't all it's cracked up to be. They'll see how unique you are with your gpa, mcat, EC's and most importantly interview. After that, when they notice that there are four applicants that passed their requirements for every seat, that's when they'll just randomly pick some lucky beyatch. Come on down!!!!

safrat said:
computer science, I get my ass handed to me everyday. Bastard nerds, don't care about your effort just want to see programs. Bad thing is that in my graduation I was the only pre-med comp sci. So, schools couldn't see how hard of a major it really was. Don't get me wrong, i don't believe in an easy major, just one's that repeatedly abuse you. Needless to say, med schools don't give a sheyaaaaaaat. All they care about is the nice 3.7. If you have that and you're not bio, that's when they'll lick your balls. Oh and being unique ain't all it's cracked up to be. They'll see how unique you are with your gpa, mcat, EC's and most importantly interview. After that, when they notice that there are four applicants that passed their requirements for every seat, that's when they'll just randomly pick some lucky beyatch. Come on down!!!!

I'm CS too, and totally, completely feel your pain. You'll make it through. If it makes you feel better, at least you can get a nice paying ($20+/hr) summer job when the bio majors are cleaning glassware in a lab.
:)

bubblebobble, I wish it were true. I spent most of my free summers studying for the mcat or taking some pre-med courses, rather than doing internships or some co-op. So, I'm pretty much up **** creek without a paddle, which is pretty insane considering that one of the reasons for me choosing cs was due to the availability and quality of jobs. That is, before the bubble busted and outsourcing wasn't that rampent. It's pretty hard to believe that having a strong background in bioinformatics, having had a paper published and winning 2nd place acm se, and having a pretty decent gpa (3.5) would not get me a job. It turns out that not only did it not get me a job, but it also hurt my chances of getting into med school. I mean 3.5 is good with a great mcat, but it's just alright with an average mcat. I'm just hoping by the end of this application cycle, I can breath a sigh of relief.

double major in Biology and Philosophy..i might consider a minor in chemistry or english though..

Sage880 said:
Computer Science - C&O double major.

Totally not medschool related. I finished and then started over in Biology. :(

:confused: "Started over"......why not just take the few prerequisites that you missed? You aren?t literally working on a Biology degree?.right?

thewzdoc said:
Me too....I started in Aerospace Engineering at UH....moved on to anthropology and physics....and finally decided on Information Technology. I still read as much as I can about anything scientific or Aerospace related.
Physics Major, Chemistry Minor at UH Class of '04
Do I know you?

i'm a computer science major.

that says it all.

i won't ever get into med school. :scared:

does med schools even like CS majors? anyone know?

Well I think I might go for Biology & History...

Should I consider Biochem with probably some humanities?

ctaborda said:
Well I think I might go for Biology & History...

Should I consider Biochem with probably some humanities?

Whatever interests you. You?ll do better if you love what you are studying.

thewzdoc said:
Whatever interests you. You?ll do better if you love what you are studying.
This really, really can't be stressed enough. Your major means DIDDLY-POO. Do well, do well in your pre-reqs, and if you're going to devote 4 years of your life to studying something then please study something that interests you.

I majored in biology and absolutely loved it. Because I got a BS and not a BA in bio, my school didn't let me double major and I had to minor in chemistry. But I fulfilled the course work for a minors in music and English. So yeah, lots of class time, but I loved it.

Now I just cant make my mind between Anthrypology & History!!!!

of course, I would do one of those together with Biology

jpro said:
Physics Major, Chemistry Minor at UH Class of '04
Do I know you?

Ha?.probably not?..I was at UH in 1989??.so so old??. :p

ctaborda said:
Now I just cant make my mind between Anthrypology & History!!!!

of course, I would do one of those together with Biology

I loved physical anthropology.... cultural sucked (IMHO).

Good idea to second in Bio...it will take care of all you prerequisites.

WalterSobchakk said:
Come va, OSU? Dove studi? Non c'e` un "major" d'italiano all'Universita` di Florida dove studio :( . E` sempre buono vedere altra gente che parla, non vedo molti fuori i miei classi.

Ciao ragazzi, io sono Italiano :)

Ottimo il tuo italiano! ...solo un errore, dove dici: "non vedo molti fuori... "

i miei corsi

o

le mie classi

Happy Italian! :)

Majors: Economics and Organizational Communication
Minors: French, English, Management, Finance, International Business

Well, I couldn't make up my mind, so I just did everything I was interested in...and now I'm back doing post-bacc and getting a master's in Health Communication. I've got all y'all beat on unrelatedness! Yay humanities. ;)

elephunt said:
I've got all y'all beat on unrelatedness! Yay humanities. ;)

Yup...you are a minority <5% but the math&stat guys have you beat at <1%. :laugh:

elephunt, and are you going to med school?

ctaborda said:
elephunt, and are you going to med school?

That's the plan...assuming I get in somewhere. :oops:

I was a double mjr in Bio and Psychology...only b/c I wanted Neuroscience and it was the closest I could get. I have friends who went BioChem just to help them get into med school...i say don't torture yourself unless you really like it. Major in what you like and if you really want to be a Doctor it will show in everything else you do.

Chemical Engineering with a certificate (whatever thats worth) in biomedical engineering. :cool:

I started off as an Art major with a Photography emphasis. I loved photography and I still do, but I didn't see how I could reasonably keep up such a major and personally succeed in premed. I hated science and avoided it all through high school, and I knew that the only way I could understand everything I needed was if I switched my major to Human Biology with a health sciences emphasis. I've since come to really enjoy biological sciences, but I still really miss working in the darkroom. Unfortunately the time I need to put into my sciences to pummel them into submission leaves no time for it. I still manage to do some photography on the side, but I haven't been as involved with it for a long time. Sometimes I still wish I would have stuck with Photography, but I think now I'd rather keep that for fun, as a diversion from the stress of everything else.

Agent Splat said:
I started off as an Art major with a Photography emphasis. I loved photography and I still do, but I didn't see how I could reasonably keep up such a major and personally succeed in premed. I hated science and avoided it all through high school, and I knew that the only way I could understand everything I needed was if I switched my major to Human Biology with a health sciences emphasis. I've since come to really enjoy biological sciences, but I still really miss working in the darkroom. Unfortunately the time I need to put into my sciences to pummel them into submission leaves no time for it. I still manage to do some photography on the side, but I haven't been as involved with it for a long time. Sometimes I still wish I would have stuck with Photography, but I think now I'd rather keep that for fun, as a diversion from the stress of everything else.

I think it kinda happens to me too, but with Computers :)

Carlos.

Majors: Bio and Chem
Minors: Phil.

True love: basket weaving! j/k :laugh:

I would like to know how you managed or manage your time, between both majors :p

Carlos

rtmcad2319 said:
Majors: Bio and Chem
Minors: Phil.

True love: basket weaving! j/k :laugh:

I have a BA in Biology w/ minor in Business

will double majoring help you stand out? For example i'm planning to major in neuroscience and my second major will most like be music with specialization in vocal or german. Would it make me stand out?

public health majors out there?
what about psychologys?
cell biology?

(three majors i'm considering)

hnbui said:
will double majoring help you stand out? For example i'm planning to major in neuroscience and my second major will most like be music with specialization in vocal or german. Would it make me stand out?

do you like german? I tried taking Korean for a whole year, made myself not drop the class, gut through hell, all because I'm 1/2 korean (despite me speaking mandarin)

if you plan on majoring in german, prepared to read lots of literature, LOTS.
I can't relate to that love of german, but I can understand why you like neuroscience.

I say just major in 1 thing, maybe minor in something else, so that you can fill your extra class slots with interesting classes. Not only do I think you'll do better (higher GPA) and enjoy your classes, but you'll have more perspective :D and be more aware of things. THAT will make you stand out as a person.

GOOD LUCK!

biobossx99 said:
do you like german? I tried taking Korean for a whole year, made myself not drop the class, gut through hell, all because I'm 1/2 korean (despite me speaking mandarin)

if you plan on majoring in german, prepared to read lots of literature, LOTS.
I can't relate to that love of german, but I can understand why you like neuroscience.

I say just major in 1 thing, maybe minor in something else, so that you can fill your extra class slots with interesting classes. Not only do I think you'll do better (higher GPA) and enjoy your classes, but you'll have more perspective :D and be more aware of things. THAT will make you stand out as a person.

GOOD LUCK!

yes i like german

Chemistry major, unofficial history minor.

And I was a chem major before I was pre-med, so anyone who says that pre-meds choose science majors to help them get into med school can suck it. I really hate that $hit.

Econ major with a chem minor...

Here is some help when deciding:
1. Decide what you like to do. Adcoms do not really care what you major in. My friend was planning on finishing chem minor (on top of his liberal arts major) and was going to take the necessary classes in the spring semester before med school, when the adcom called him in november to tell him he got accepted. She told him not to bother with the chem minor, but to instead take only the classes that he needs to finish his major and enjoy his last few months before med school.
2. Decide how long you plan on taking (alot of people who double major spend more than 4 years at their undergrad school). With my Econ major, chem minor and pre-med pre-reqs, I will have taken 146 units (120 for the Econ major). The big benefit with the science major is that you can double dip with your major and your pre-med reqs so you won't be taking extra classes.
3. Pick a major that you know you can get a 3.6 or better in (GPA wise). Not all schools employ the Ivy League grade inflation practices, so make sure the profs from the department you plan on majoring in won't expect you to kill yourself to get a decent GPA.

Hope it helps.

I majored in physiology at the advise of a doctor I was shadowing in High School and I'm really glad I did. Its quite interdisiplinary so you get alot of biology, chem, and physics in it, plus I think it really helped me for the MCAT. It seemed like 3/4 of the stuff in the bio section was straight out of either my molecular or systems physio class...plus because physio is interdisiplinary I felt pretty strong in chem and physics.

Last benifit is that I have heard (haven't started school yet...so grain of salt) that a lot of people struggle with physiology in med school because they're not used to integrating concepts from different fields...they like to study each topic (bio, physics, chem) in a vaccuum and not think about how they might interact...physio helps teach you how to think about those interactions...my $0.02

B.A. in Cinema
Masters work in Aesthetic studies.

First choice in med school
First choice in residency match.

I'm a Psychobiology major... AKA Nueroscience

its a nice blend between psyc and bio and its really interesting!
what more could you want?