what's your Myers Briggs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

what's your myers-briggs type?

• ENFJ

Votes: 29 6.4%
  • ENFP

Votes: 21 4.6%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 54 11.9%
  • ENTP

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • ESFJ

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • ESFP

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 23 5.1%
  • ESTP

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • INFJ

Votes: 59 13.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 18 4.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 26.4%
  • INTP

Votes: 30 6.6%
  • ISFJ

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • ISFP

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • ISTJ

Votes: 34 7.5%
  • ISTP

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

amandil

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious! What are the most common M-B types among pre-meds (or, more specifically, pre-meds who surf sdn AND are willing to post :laugh: )

Here's the M-B test link: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Members don't see this ad.

Right after I voted I saw the spread pop up and I was like, dang, everyone is an INTJ . . . only to see that yes, everyone who voted is . . . but at this point there is an n=2.

When I took this in college, I was an INTJ, but now that I'm working, I scored ENTJ. I wonder if I am an "E" who didn't let myself get distracted by things while being a nerd in school, or an "I" who is having way too good of a time b/c in less than a year, it'll be back to the books hardcore. Either way, cheers to having a good ole time! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine didn't surprise me, ENFJ. Strong E, mild J, Middle N and F.

I am so damn social, I tried to have a conversation with my M-B test.

gdbaby said:
Mine didn't surprise me, ENFJ. Strong E, mild J, Middle N and F.

I am so damn social, I tried to have a conversation with my M-B test.
im with you, it goes with the name, dont you think, baby? :rolleyes: ;)

ISFJ.

I am caring but brooding and distant....much needed characteristics to become a superhero. :D

ENFP - 'the champion' !

thus far, i'm the lone infp. weak f (tested as a t once), moderate i, strong n and super strong p. we're supposedly healer idealists. i like that. :)

exlawgrrl said:
thus far, i'm the lone infp. weak f (tested as a t once), moderate i, strong n and super strong p. we're supposedly healer idealists. i like that. :)

Scoot over! Theres two of us now!

ENTJ

as the article said: "I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?"

sounds about right... :D

Two years ago (before I became a pre-med, actually) I was an ESFP. After graduating, getting a real job, and deciding to try for medical school I just discovered that I am now an ESFJ (but only 11% J). Guess I had to get my act together :rolleyes:

I think I had more fun when I was an ESFP "diva" though!! :laugh:

First Architect Rational.

Members don't see this ad :)
For years, I always got INTP with these tests, but since about the middle of college, I've been getting INTJ. Seems like the major difference in the descriptions is that INTJs have more confidence... sounds about right.

amandil said:
Two years ago (before I became a pre-med, actually) I was an ESFP. After graduating, getting a real job, and deciding to try for medical school I just discovered that I am now an ESFJ (but only 11% J). Guess I had to get my act together :rolleyes:

I think I had more fun when I was an ESFP "diva" though!! :laugh:

Haha I was thinking of setting up this poll myself...I used to be INFJ...now I'm an ENFJ, "benevolent pedagogue." College is a time for changes! And apparently now I have something in common with Bob Saget,hurray :cool:

ha ha. amazingly, the 5 times i've taken a version of this exam in one of its various manifestations, I've come up as an INFJ... at least I'm consistent. :)

And then there was this quote:

"I'm really sorry you have to die."

Oops.

jbrice1639 said:
ENTJ

as the article said: "I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?"

sounds about right... :D

Looks like we have a lot of ENTJ and INTJ.

The description of INTJ claimed that this was 1% of the population... my as*! I thought I was unique for a second.

Dr.D-man said:
The description of INTJ claimed that this was 1% of the population... my as*!

But we're already a self-selecting sample... and pre-meds are most definitely less than 1% of the overall population.

I'm not surprised that premeds are more often XXTJ, but I would've thought that doctors would be more extraverted than introverted?

Dr.D-man said:
The description of INTJ claimed that this was 1% of the population... my as*! I thought I was unique for a second.

maybe all 1% of INTJs are pre med...haha, wouldn't be surprised. We're a special bunch... :laugh:

Here are the different "names" for each type:

ENFJ Teacher Idealist
ENFP Champion Idealist
ENTJ Fieldmarshal Rational
ENTP Inventor Rational
ESFJ Provider Guardian
ESFP Performer Artisan
ESTJ Supervisor Guardian
ESTP Promoter Artisan
INFJ Counselor Idealist
INFP Healer Idealist
INTJ Mastermind Rational
INTP Architect Rational
ISFJ Protector Guardian
ISFP Composer Artisan
ISTJ Inspector Guardian
ISTP Crafter Artisan

So, apparently the "Mastermind" (INTJ) is the most common M-B type for pre-meds on SDN who respond to polls, with "Counselor" (INFJ) and "Fieldmarshal" (ENTJ) tied for a distant second. "Performer" (ESFP), "Promoter" (ESTP), "Composer" (ISFP), "Crafter" (ISTP) are all still at 0 -- and they are all Artisan (SP) types. Interesting!

Im the only ESTP suckas (well, at the moment)

You guys are all the same... oh wait.

Cool poll idea btw

I am ENFP. It says we are only 3% of the population. Interesting...

I read the descriptions and it seems kind of hoaky. I think I could only relate to about 50% of the description at best. Tests like these are crap, it is hard to gauge a personality and call them a certain type. Everyone is different.

A famous fictional person I share's my type is Balkie from Perfect Strangers. Now my life is complete. :D

I'm going to go do the Dance of Joy now.

INTJ My ego is now extra inflated. I took this in undergrad...same result so I pursued it with success.

Strategic planning
Reorganization projects

General management consulting
Inventor
Artist
Art teacher
Astronomy
Academic curriculum design

Organization development
Creating and applying technology to complex areas
Psychoanalysis

Business acquisitions and mergers
Investment analysis
Philosopher
Systems analysis
Architect
Interior design
******Scientific research
Design engineering
Artificial intelligence
Neurology
Neuropsychology

Biomedical engineering
housemate
Human resources consulting

Famous INTJs:
Dan Aykroyd (The Blues Brothers)
Susan B. Anthony
Arthur Ashe, tennis champion

Augustus Caesar (Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus)Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)
William J. Bennett, "drug czar"
William F. Buckley, Jr.
Raymond Burr (Perry Mason, Ironsides)
Chevy Chase (Cornelius Crane) (Fletch)

Phil Donahue
Michael Dukakis, governor of Mass., 1988 U.S. Dem. pres. candidate
Greg Gumbel, television sportscaster
Hannibal, Carthaginian military leader
Veronica Hamel (Hill Street Blues)
Angela Lansbury (Murder, She Wrote)
Orel Leonard Hershiser, IV
Peter Jennings
*******Charles Everett Koop FORMER SURGEON GENERAL
Ivan Lendl
C. S. Lewis (The Chronicles of Narnia)
Joan Lunden
Edwin Moses, U.S. olympian (hurdles)
Martina Navratilova
Charles Rangel, U. S. Representative, D-N.Y.
Pernell Roberts (Bonanza)
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California
Josephine Tey (Elizabeth Mackintosh), mystery writer (Brat Farrar)
Rudy Giuliani, former New York City mayor
Donald Rumsfeld, US Secretary of Defense
General Colin Powell, US Secretary of State
Lance Armstrong
Richard Gere (Pretty Woman)
Katie Couric

U.S. Presidents:
Chester A. Arthur
Calvin Coolidge REALLY LIKE THIS GUY!!!!!
Thomas Jefferson

John F. Kennedy
James K. Polk
Woodrow Wilson

Napoleon4000 said:
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California

I still do a double take when I read that. And it's on my diploma too!

Hmmmm, in the last poll we found out that 30% of SDN are virgins. On this poll 30% is revealed as INTJs. Coincidence!?

;) j/k - we intj-ers are cool!

hmm... supposedly, INFPs are Healers in the Idealist group. Wonder why they only make up 3-4% of us?

:laugh: there was another mbti poll this past summer!!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=205344

...but it had open results :eek:

Here's another type-determination test:
http://www.socionics.com/sta/sta-1-r.html?0:::

Here's an interesting page with type descriptions:
http://www.sac.edu/students/admissions/placement_testing/mbtitype.htm

And here are some pages linking mbti type to med specialty (originally from deuist -- thanks!):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11228862&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/SOM/Success/Who does what.htm
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/SOM/Success/career.htm

amandil said:
hmm... supposedly, INFPs are Healers in the Idealist group. Wonder why they only make up 3-4% of us?

i think that might have to do with how many of us are probably thinking of going into tough specialties where the critical thinking/leadership roles are going to be more important than the more nurturing connotation of "healer"

just a thought. that said, i'm a probable primary care guy myself, and i was entj, so almost completely opposite the "healer"

who knows... :confused:

ENTP, really xNTx

Did you notice that >40% of the premeds here are the NT temperment?
Interesting, since only ~10% of the general population (GP) are NT.
Also, 76% of SDN posters are N, while only 26% of the GP are.

http://www.infj.org/archive/typestats.html

Another INFJ here. I totally agree with the personality description.

Some famous ones:

cool ones:
Jimmy Carter (I love Jimmy Carter!)
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Nelson Mandela

random:
Mel Gibson
Carie Fisher
Nicole Kidman
Jamie Fox
Tom Selleck
Billy Crystal

as usual, mostly INTJs. i love all the talk of how docs are supposed to be people oriented and blah blah.

stiffany said:

how did they figure out the ratios on this? also, i wonder if any of these are statistically significant... i'm way too lazy to try to calculate this... not that i can even remember what a p-value is :laugh:

seriously though if any of you took biostat, is this survey useful?

it looks like it goes like this: (but they're values are somewhat different).

1. add up all N for specialty.
2. divide by 4 (for four temperaments, giving you average n in a specialty per temperament).
3. then take N for a specific specialty and divide by quantity obtained in step 2 (to give you proportion of N versus average n)

It's hard to believe that I'm really 11% "J" when I just crammed all my studying for my biochem final into 6.5 hours last night :oops:

But.... on a brighter note..... I'm DONE!!! No more science classes!!! woohoo!!! *does a little dance*

well...until med school starts, anyway :rolleyes:

So I read on my type profile the INTJ often have problems in relationships....any other INTJ have problems in realtionships? I thought it was just me :rolleyes:

Well, does the failure of my first marriage count?

I know that many people think me 'arrogant' and tend to feel inadequate around me. I can see the arrogant thing - I'm quite shy and don't say much in large crowds unless VERY nervous (but one on one I'm totally fine with). The inadequate thing totally escapes me. My husband says it's because I project this air of confidence. I don't see it... I truly see everyone as being better than I am at something (and ALWAYS at geography).

estj here. but i was only 1% S. i don't get that. how am I S if its only 1% but like 68% E. i dont get the percentages.
-mota

Zoom-Zoom said:
Another INFJ here. I totally agree with the personality description.

Some famous ones:

cool ones:
Jimmy Carter (I love Jimmy Carter!)
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Nelson Mandela

random:
Mel Gibson
Carie Fisher
Nicole Kidman
Jamie Fox
Tom Selleck
Billy Crystal

carie fisher is a raging b*tch in real life. she called me a drunken idiot when i was out her house. and i wasn't even that drunk. and everyone else there seemed to love me.
-mota

ShyRem said:
Well, does the failure of my first marriage count?

I know that many people think me 'arrogant' and tend to feel inadequate around me. I can see the arrogant thing - I'm quite shy and don't say much in large crowds unless VERY nervous (but one on one I'm totally fine with). The inadequate thing totally escapes me. My husband says it's because I project this air of confidence. I don't see it... I truly see everyone as being better than I am at something (and ALWAYS at geography).
Your kids are ADORABLE--as are you. Shy, I think we are twins separated at birth. We MUST sit down over some wine and chat about the similarities of our lives!

gdbaby said:
Your kids are ADORABLE--as are you. Shy, I think we are twins separated at birth. We MUST sit down over some wine and chat about the similarities of our lives!

i'm calling oprah.
-mota

INTJ, which does describe me well. I remember taking this test in high school and now I'm curious to see what it was.

I wonder if other pre-professional groups have a similar tendency to cluster around certain types? Too bad there's no forums.studentlawyer.net or forums.studentbusiness.net :laugh:

Nice job bumping a thread 36 times older than your membership

INFJ. I remember taking it in high school and I had the same result. I thought it was interesting how the careers listed that I'd most likely enter was very accurate: artist, medical doctor, and psychologist. I've considered all 3 (and obviously plan on entering medicine).