What’s your opinion on medical schools outside of the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

For those who didn’t get in anywhere in the states? Like Mexico, Jamaica, Europe, China, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

being an IMG is a tough road, especially since residency spots are getting more competitive to land in general. that being said, if i had to go to med school outside the US/Canada, i'd opt for Europe.

For those who didn’t get in anywhere in the states? Like Mexico, Jamaica, Europe, China, etc?

With mbbs, as I’ve been told and researched recently, maybe a little more complicated than Carib.

I would focus and exhaust all my improvements/options before I move onto outside of US. Unless you have an absolute valid reason to get an IMG degree, I would not*. There, unfortunately, are stigma with a medical degree from a foreign country, especially if you are American.

*there are very very few, so few, I cannot give you a concrete example of one.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was once considered just an extension of studying medicine in the U.S. Obtaining residency was never as much of an issue, even what's considered competitive residencies in todays terms. However, this time has passed and it has become an extremely questionable option. If primary care is your end goal then it might still be worth a shot, but if you're looking to match in anything outside of primary then you may want to reconsider and make yourself a better applicant for U.S schools. I don't think the degree of education is inferior, it's more so an issue of finding rotations and obtaining residencies that are the issue to consider.