What's your passage secret??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sammy1024

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know passages rely on content but I wanted to know if you guys had any tips on how to dissect a passage??

In biology passages alone, i'm fairing like 62% accuracy over the 200ish questions i've done for passage based questions.
For discrete's i'm at about 72%, and it could use improvement, but it's not like content seems to be a big issue? If it was, then i'd be getting many more wrong in the discrete, right??

SO, I was wondering if you had any tips?

I know practice is one of them, and i'm doing that, but I wanted to know if there was anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I know passages rely on content but I wanted to know if you guys had any tips on how to dissect a passage??

In biology passages alone, i'm fairing like 62% accuracy over the 200ish questions i've done for passage based questions.
For discrete's i'm at about 72%, and it could use improvement, but it's not like content seems to be a big issue? If it was, then i'd be getting many more wrong in the discrete, right??

SO, I was wondering if you had any tips?

I know practice is one of them, and i'm doing that, but I wanted to know if there was anything else?

I started treating BS kinda like VR and have found it beneficial. I like approaching them from an elimination standpoint: what is obviously wrong, what is technically correct but doesn't fully address the question, what is correct but not included in the passage information, etc. This has helped a lot with questions and getting in the "MCAT mindset," if you will.

That's what I've been hearing. Like the recent MCAT takers have said how at least the biology is more verbalish.

Do you think it's a waste of time to map the sciences, like biology passages?

I used to go really fast with 30 min leftover and used to get like 7/8 so I decided to slow down and take my time. I finish with 5 or so minutes leftover but I'm not sure if I want toincorporate mapping.

That's what I've been hearing. Like the recent MCAT takers have said how at least the biology is more verbalish.

Do you think it's a waste of time to map the sciences, like biology passages?

I used to go really fast with 30 min leftover and used to get like 7/8 so I decided to slow down and take my time. I finish with 5 or so minutes leftover but I'm not sure if I want toincorporate mapping.

I've never done mapping. I think it's a waste of time, but it works for some people. If the passage is really complicated, I might write down a few bullet points to help me focus everything, but that's about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol thanks. I like your picture. Looks like the story of my life!

That's exactly why I chose it. It's about as close to me in real life as I feel comfortable putting on here

I started treating BS kinda like VR and have found it beneficial. I like approaching them from an elimination standpoint: what is obviously wrong, what is technically correct but doesn't fully address the question, what is correct but not included in the passage information, etc. This has helped a lot with questions and getting in the "MCAT mindset," if you will.

This is a good tip!
I read that a lot on this forum that to approach BS on mcat is more like verbal.
However, because I'm not quite good at verbal, I still don't grasp the idea of approaching it more like verbal lol.
How do you go about reading a (convoluted) Bio passage and understanding what they what's going on in terms of the the results of the experiment? If I can grasp the main idea, I can guess what the questions will be on, and answering questions is easy. But sometimes I take too long trying to understand exactly the relationships and get lost. Some due to content gaps, some due to just spending too much time on the wrong thing.
Thanks for the clear up!

Definitely grasp the main idea of the passage and the results of the experiment. Take just a brief minute to think about what might be going on (from a scientific standpoint) to cause these results.

After that, you should be able to answer several of the questions with total confidence keeping in mind your background knowledge and the scope of the passage/experiment. When I encounter a question within the passage where I'm not 100% sure of the answer, I'll use the passage as a reference to gather more information and maybe eliminate any answers irrelevant to the passage's general scope.

In this way the sciences, especially BS, become a glorified Verbal section where you're given a passage where you will certainly (if you studied properly) have a good grasp of any background knowledge.

As an aside, the MCAT, as it is, does an amazing job of measuring the intrinsic critical thinking skills a doctor must use when applying his or her knowledge base to sometimes unfamiliar areas. As I took the trial section today, I sincerely hope they don't taint this by introducing such a radical paradigm shift of content.

Definitely grasp the main idea of the passage and the results of the experiment. Take just a brief minute to think about what might be going on (from a scientific standpoint) to cause these results.

After that, you should be able to answer several of the questions with total confidence keeping in mind your background knowledge and the scope of the passage/experiment. When I encounter a question within the passage where I'm not 100% sure of the answer, I'll use the passage as a reference to gather more information and maybe eliminate any answers irrelevant to the passage's general scope.

In this way the sciences, especially BS, become a glorified Verbal section where you're given a passage where you will certainly (if you studied properly) have a good grasp of any background knowledge.

As an aside, the MCAT, as it is, does an amazing job of measuring the intrinsic critical thinking skills a doctor must use when applying his or her knowledge base to sometimes unfamiliar areas. As I took the trial section today, I sincerely hope they don't taint this by introducing such a radical paradigm shift of content.

Very great advice, thank you very much!

I have a stupid question, maybe it will make a difference.
What is your methodology on going about every BS passage? Like from minute 0, you have a Bio passage, what is the general steps you take, and how long does a passage take you generally? Do you ever find the need to jot points down?
I ask because my timing is off using TPR as a practice source on passages. I also don't know whether writing anything down as I am reading helps, or is it more helpful that I read through it, skipping over the known details, with the intent of understanding the main idea (experiment results and data) like verbal, and not be carried away by the details or the knowledge they provide within the passage as that should just be known to me coming into the exam due to content review and it's just there to "remind me" or "reinforce" it so I can make judgement on questions off it and/or if there is a question that ever asked for specifics I can refer to them?
That would make sense to why it's like verbal in away, and I haven't been practicing this method much which might be the reason?
thank you!

Very great advice, thank you very much!

I have a stupid question, maybe it will make a difference.
What is your methodology on going about every BS passage? Like from minute 0, you have a Bio passage, what is the general steps you take, and how long does a passage take you generally? Do you ever find the need to jot points down?
I ask because my timing is off using TPR as a practice source on passages. I also don't know whether writing anything down as I am reading helps, or is it more helpful that I read through it, skipping over the known details, with the intent of understanding the main idea (experiment results and data) like verbal, and not be carried away by the details or the knowledge they provide within the passage as that should just be known to me coming into the exam due to content review and it's just there to "remind me" or "reinforce" it so I can make judgement on questions off it and/or if there is a question that ever asked for specifics I can refer to them?
That would make sense to why it's like verbal in away, and I haven't been practicing this method much which might be the reason?
thank you!

As far as timing goes, anything that's not computer based is not going to give you an accurate representation of your timing. Time that it takes to look at your answer sheet, look back at the book, mark your answer will add up and extend a written practice section beyond the 70 minute mark.

I'll give you timing advice with this caveat: Don't worry about timing as it pertains to each individual passage. Some will be longer, some will be shorter, some will be tougher, some will be easier. No two passages are the same so you shouldn't put a set time limit on each passage. Further, if you place so much thought into clock management, you take your focus away from the test and expend energy on time management. Get used to your test taking style and perfect it within the time you're given.

My technique is to read the passage (BS, PS) first completely to understand the scope of the passage and experiments involved. When I come along a sentence that doesn't click, I'll re-read it. If it still doesn't click I'll move on. If there are listed experiments, this is where you want to understand you know what they are evaluating, why they are evaluating it and how it compares to other experiments given. This is a crucial skill you've most likely developed in your first 3 years of undergrad, whether you know it or not, so you should be able to do this fairly quickly. Next I analyze data in charts and trends in graphs to gather any information that I can quickly ascertain, ie. y increases in a linear fashion to x, this graph looks like the system displays this quality, data indicates this trend. Don't look to hard into data because you may start coming to conclusions and thinking about things that you won't be questioned on later. Eventually after you get into a habit of reading passages like this you'll find it easy because this. Writing any of this down is a waste of time because you only need to recall this information for an extremely brief moment in time. Plus, you have the highlighting tool on the CBT version of the MCAT, it serves the exact same purpose as jotting notes.

Now as you're answering questions you should be able to understand what each question is asking. You'll come across at least a question or two that will require you to do some more passage analysis, but you can take care of this on a need to basis when the particular question arises. Every question will not require an in-depth and full understanding of the material that they just presented, so don't treat the passage like it's going to.

I bolded that statement because having your own style is what is key to the MCAT. Establishing YOUR own comfort zone is what allows you to succeed. What I do works for me, it may not work for you. Adapt my methodology to what suits you, if its a carbon copy, so be it, but more likely than not it won't be. Case in point, as I was taking the MCAT today I veered from my own style. For all passages, I like to finish all the questions within a passage before moving on. I like to answer the tough questions while I'm engrossed in the subject of the passage. I did every practice test like this (each was taken in a controlled environment). Today, however, I decided to save all the real tricky questions for the end. As I got to the final review screen I clicked "Review Incomplete" and went over the test. When I was returned to that screen, I had about a minute left but still saw the "Review Incomplete" button, meaning I had missed something on my initial review. I finished that first question as time expired and don't know if there were other questions I missed. Lesson: DON'T STRAY FROM YOUR PERSONAL STYLE. Also, the "Review Incomplete"/"Review Marked" will bring you to the first question of a passage you may have multiple incomplete's in. When you press "Next", it will jump to the next passage even if you have incomplete questions remaining in the prior passage.

If you need a time for science passages, 7.5 minutes per will allow for a decent amount of review time and ample time for discretes.

As far as timing goes, anything that's not computer based is not going to give you an accurate representation of your timing. Time that it takes to look at your answer sheet, look back at the book, mark your answer will add up and extend a written practice section beyond the 70 minute mark.

I'll give you timing advice with this caveat: Don't worry about timing as it pertains to each individual passage. Some will be longer, some will be shorter, some will be tougher, some will be easier. No two passages are the same so you shouldn't put a set time limit on each passage. Further, if you place so much thought into clock management, you take your focus away from the test and expend energy on time management. Get used to your test taking style and perfect it within the time you're given.

My technique is to read the passage (BS, PS) first completely to understand the scope of the passage and experiments involved. When I come along a sentence that doesn't click, I'll re-read it. If it still doesn't click I'll move on. If there are listed experiments, this is where you want to understand you know what they are evaluating, why they are evaluating it and how it compares to other experiments given. This is a crucial skill you've most likely developed in your first 3 years of undergrad, whether you know it or not, so you should be able to do this fairly quickly. Next I analyze data in charts and trends in graphs to gather any information that I can quickly ascertain, ie. y increases in a linear fashion to x, this graph looks like the system displays this quality, data indicates this trend. Don't look to hard into data because you may start coming to conclusions and thinking about things that you won't be questioned on later. Eventually after you get into a habit of reading passages like this you'll find it easy because this. Writing any of this down is a waste of time because you only need to recall this information for an extremely brief moment in time. Plus, you have the highlighting tool on the CBT version of the MCAT, it serves the exact same purpose as jotting notes.

Now as you're answering questions you should be able to understand what each question is asking. You'll come across at least a question or two that will require you to do some more passage analysis, but you can take care of this on a need to basis when the particular question arises. Every question will not require an in-depth and full understanding of the material that they just presented, so don't treat the passage like it's going to.

I bolded that statement because having your own style is what is key to the MCAT. Establishing YOUR own comfort zone is what allows you to succeed. What I do works for me, it may not work for you. Adapt my methodology to what suits you, if its a carbon copy, so be it, but more likely than not it won't be. Case in point, as I was taking the MCAT today I veered from my own style. For all passages, I like to finish all the questions within a passage before moving on. I like to answer the tough questions while I'm engrossed in the subject of the passage. I did every practice test like this (each was taken in a controlled environment). Today, however, I decided to save all the real tricky questions for the end. As I got to the final review screen I clicked "Review Incomplete" and went over the test. When I was returned to that screen, I had about a minute left but still saw the "Review Incomplete" button, meaning I had missed something on my initial review. I finished that first question as time expired and don't know if there were other questions I missed. Lesson: DON'T STRAY FROM YOUR PERSONAL STYLE. Also, the "Review Incomplete"/"Review Marked" will bring you to the first question of a passage you may have multiple incomplete's in. When you press "Next", it will jump to the next passage even if you have incomplete questions remaining in the prior passage.

If you need a time for science passages, 7.5 minutes per will allow for a decent amount of review time and ample time for discretes.

Much much appreciated brother, thank you for a great response! Respect.
I was getting down on myself with my poor timing every passage, I tried to keep it at 8 mins each, and many times I find it hard.
So I will keep the timing in the back of my head but will work on my method to properly attack each passage as that's starting to make some more sense with me.
Once again thank a lot, and Im sorry to hear about your misfortune today. Hopefully it doesnt have a significant impact on your result. Nonetheless, it's a good advice and eye opener. Definitely need to look out for it.
I will get practicing and see how this improves my results in anyway! Thanks again :)