What's your pick: Wright State SOM or Michigan State CHM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureMD87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
which school would you pick:

Michigan State CHM or Wright State SOM

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on what you're interested in. I can't speak about Michigan, but I know Wright State has a big emphasis on social mission. They graduate a huge number of URM students every year, and they also have a really high percentage of their graduates go on to primary care and working in underserved areas.

Have you visited both?

I don't know much about Wright State... But I went to MSU undergrad... I was a student athlete so I had some connection with sports docs and met with ppl from admissions wile I was there...

If you are from Michigan then you will know what I am talking about: MSU just built a new beautiful medical center in Grand Rapids... U would be doing your clinicals in Flint, Detroit, Grd Rapids, or Sparrow in East Lansing...

I would suggest contacting both schools, visit if possible, but look and see what they offer and what would be a better fit.

Good luck with everything!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about Wright State... But I went to MSU undergrad... I was a student athlete so I had some connection with sports docs and met with ppl from admissions wile I was there...

If you are from Michigan then you will know what I am talking about: MSU just built a new beautiful medical center in Grand Rapids... U would be doing your clinicals in Flint, Detroit, Grd Rapids, or Sparrow in East Lansing...

I would suggest contacting both schools, visit if possible, but look and see what they offer and what would be a better fit.

Good luck with everything!

There's some misinformation in this post. MSU-CHM has preclinical (Years 1 and 2) campuses in Grand Rapids and East Lansing. Half of incoming students go to each. Clinical campuses (Years 3 and 4) are located in Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Flint, Midland, Traverse City and Marquette. Students choose their clinical campus based on demographics and interests during their first year in med school. Folks aren't bounced around from one clinical campus to another and none of the clinical sites are in Detroit.

MSU is another school which focuses on underserved populations (urban and rural) and primary care.

Hey guys,

thanx for the feedback. I've been to both campuses and am having a hard time deciding which school to attend. They both look really good to me. I'm OOS for both schools. Here's the break down of things I've noticed so far for each school:

Wright State:

Dissection based anatomy lab, cheaper tuition (have the ability to become IS after year one), extremely nice and cooperative faculty and staff, team based learning (both years)

Michigan State

Prosection based anatomy lab (my advisor said this is the new wave that some med schools are trying to allow students to learn the other areas more thoroughly), problem based learning (2nd year only), extremely nice and cooperative faculty and staff also

This is what I've found so far, please chime in if you know of more pro/cons or more differences between the two schools.

What an awesome problem to have! Congrats on your acceptances to both of these schools. They are both really good medical schools and I am sure you'll be fine where ever you end up.

I interviewed at Wright and fell in love with it. I like the fact that there are 7 hospitals to do rotations, I like the focus on service, and like you said, everyone seemed really nice and happy to be at Wright. And it is REALLY AWESOME that you can establish IS residency after the frist year.

I have a few friends at MSU that love it and the new campus in GR is AWESOME (i live in Grand Rapids) and you are right next to Spectrum Health Hospitals and VanAndel research.

Overall, I think you'll be good at either medical school. Go with your gut feeling -- AND if nothing else look at the costs.

Congrats again! I hope to have the same problem as you :)