What's your score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
114 (out of state asian though)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah the formula of +20 for favoring people based on race is pretty hefty.

I'm more disturbed by the +20 Scholarship Athlete and Provost's discretion. Of course, I'm still deluded into thinking universities are institutes of higher learning, not entertainment providers for alumni.

Legacy is BS too considering all of the SES crap they spew.

Originally posted by Ryo-Ohki
I'm more disturbed by the +20 Scholarship Athlete and Provost's discretion. Of course, I'm still deluded into thinking universities are institutes of higher learning, not entertainment providers for alumni.

Legacy is BS too considering all of the SES crap they spew.

I guess if you are going to take into account affirmative action, you might as well take into account athletics and legacy. They are all anti-competitive, but make money for the university.

sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but unless I'm reading something wrong here I don't understand how U Michigan's undergrad admissions are relevant to med school applicants. The policies are not the same for medical school although some of the same factors may be given extra weight. I know that most state medical schools give strong preference to in-state applicants; for example, UMAB med has about 80-85% of the class from Maryland, while UMCP (UM's flagship undergrad campus) takes only 65-70% of the entering freshman class from in-state. University of Massachusetts is very much the same way; the medical school in Worcester will not even consider out-of-staters, while the flagship undergrad campus in Amherst takes a substantial # of out-of-staters. I'm sure there is a very similar numerical system that each med school uses, but the chances of this system ever being revealed to us are slim-to-none.

we know this is for undergrad. we're not stupid.

Speak for yourself. I'm a *****.

Anyway, katie's post made me think. Why don't we have sports teams in medical school? I can see it now. The Albert Einstein College of Medicine "Unified Field Theory-s". The John Hopkins "We're better then Harvard, really we are-ers"

Originally posted by Gleevec
Yeah the formula of +20 for favoring people based on race is pretty hefty.

Really. A person with a SAT score of less than 920 but minority would be better off than someone with a 1600 or as the article mentioned the difference between 3.0 and a 4.0. I know standardized tests and GPA aren't everything, but +20 on that scale is crazy. Also, do poor minorities get 20 + 20 = 40? :eek:

Originally posted by Ryo-Ohki
Speak for yourself. I'm a *****.

Anyway, katie's post made me think. Why don't we have sports teams in medical school? I can see it now. The Albert Einstein College of Medicine "Unified Field Theory-s". The John Hopkins "We're better then Harvard, really we are-ers"

Because most medical schools are associated with undergrad schools, except for Mayo.

That's pretty interesting.... I always thought that admission to the nursing school was separate from general undergraduate admissions. Guess not.... makes me think of the movie "Meet the Parents", anyways.