Whats YOUR secret keeping up with studying, work, sleeping, and living?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDavoodi_Co

Illiterate
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today competetion is getting more and more fierced.

Take me for example, I'm taking 22 units next fall, took 21 units last spring, work from 10:00 PM to 2:00 AM, Volunteer at a reputable hospital, and studying to become a stockbroker while studying for the Pre-med stuff!
NOW,
> I excercise
> I eat a healthy diet (semi, atleast)
> I have a semi-balanced social life,

>> Yet, like most people in my position, im exhausted all the time.

I'm sure there are millions of other students like me, and what I'm interested in knowing, is what else do you guys do in order to keep up with everyday. Personally, i'm wrecked, tired, and sleep just doesn't do it for me. Do you guys have any advice?, and for the people who are already doctors, any MEDICAL advice? Thank you very much, I hope this is the right place to post this forum!. ~~~~~> Don't be shy, and write all you want! - Mike

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone comes from different backgrounds into this medical school monster. I am married with small children and am involved in other non-medical school activities as well. It's all about balancing your time. If you are constantly tired, then you have to consider that you may have too much on your plate. It's important to have "self care". You don't want to burn out. Let go of anything that is not necessary to do right now, and maybe pick it up again later. Hope this helps.

to the OP:

I was a lazy bum for a pre-med at a top 5 university, easygoing as a medstudent at a top 30 medschool. I have managed to be in the top quarter of the class so far. To add to my laziness, I don't hold side jobs, I sleep 8-9 hrs/day during the week, 10 hrs on weekends, eat whatever I feel like (which is not like mickey-D's or anything unhealthy), don't drink EtOH, I don't push myself to the point where I feel exhausted, and I embrace my faults. I also minimize my obligations to other people, eliminate annoyances and annoying people in my life, and reward myself generously every time I do well on an exam. I keep my plate simple. We'll see if this worked for the USMLE. I haven't gotten my scores yet. I'm also looking into specialties which will allow me to keep my sleep schedule, which leaves me with Psych and Derm?!

emily69 said:
to the OP:

I was a lazy bum for a pre-med at a top 5 university, easygoing as a medstudent at a top 30 medschool. I have managed to be in the top quarter of the class so far. To add to my laziness, I don't hold side jobs, I sleep 8-9 hrs/day during the week, 10 hrs on weekends, eat whatever I feel like (which is not like mickey-D's or anything unhealthy), don't drink EtOH, I don't push myself to the point where I feel exhausted, and I embrace my faults. I also minimize my obligations to other people, eliminate annoyances and annoying people in my life, and reward myself generously every time I do well on an exam. I keep my plate simple. We'll see if this worked for the USMLE. I haven't gotten my scores yet. I'm also looking into specialties which will allow me to keep my sleep schedule, which leaves me with Psych and Derm?!

Lucky you sweetheart :love:

emily69 said:
to the OP:

haha you sound like a spitting image of myself. I dunno what it is, but I am quite sure I am not upholding the stereotypic image of a med student - ie. dedicated and hard working.

But I have made a resolution to get 'back' into med student territory for this USMLE Step 1.... .... must think like the med student i have neglected for so long..

i basically lived for my hobbies these past two years. riding to class helped a lot in terms of fitness and general mood (nothing like skipping out early and trying to feel the lactic acid burn on the way home). i also feel that the philosophy of taking things one week at a time helped me. sure, any particular night might suck in terms of what had to be done the next day, but overall it's still a lot better than working!

now, halfway through my first rotation in 3rd year, i have to say that my vaunted lifestyle has gone out the window. but i vow to sleep as much as i can, exercise for 30 min on the majority of days, and not waste free days.

Work Hard, Play Hard, and relax in between when you get a chance.

Oh, and at least 7 hours is my absolute lower limit for sleep each night, else I get burned out.

Ditto on the cutting out of alcohol, it makes a huge difference in sleep patterns/efficiency. Of course, a minor binge with the friends after a hard test, or small milestone is always nice. :D

Motivation: Realizing that if I don't bust my butt, someone else will, and I will be left in the perverbial dust cloud of life.

TheFlash said:
substance abuse

what you call abuse, some call 'better living through chemistry'

studies have shown that those who use legal or illegal drugs regularly do slightly better in medical school (maybe due to increased social interaction, more energy, etc etc) but tank in residency

emily69 said:
to the OP:

Add back EtOH, reduce sleep to 7hr (never have needed more) and only push yourself to exhaustion on the things you truly enjoy doing.

always try to keep perspective....remember what's important to you, and don't sweat the small stuff . I had to learn to go with the flow and not be so hard on myself...and don't give up the one thing that you enjoy the most...I had to keep running otherwise I would have gone CRAZY! :D

my general attitude toward life, medschool, and people apparently worked for the Boards as well. I got my scores today. Since I know some people from my school on sdn, I'm not giving out my exact score.
Let's just say I'm in the game for any specialty with my scores. Not saying they guarantee any particular outcome, but you know, my score would most likely put me in the "let's interview her and see if she is psycho" pile vs. the "you must be trippin' applying with that score" pile.
Then again, there is more to us than a three digit number-two digit number combo. Good score or not, it really doesn't matter that much to me, since I'm thinking of going into Psych anyway. Psych suits my sleep schedule, I love talking on and on about feelings and other vague ethereal things, and I like working ALONE (again, my motto of eliminating annoying people in my life. I guess if I find myself annoying, then I'm screwed!!!). The USMLE was a nice opportunity to re-prove to myself that I am capable of doing well if I apply myself.