Whats YOUR secret keeping up with studying, work, sleeping, and living?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I took 17 credits at one school and 4 at another. Dean doesn't even know :smuggrin:

LOL! 17-18 credits the normal one; anything above that is overcredit.....

Members don't see this ad.

Cocaine's a helluva drug

My secret is that I limit my sleep. Sleep is an unnecessary artifact of earlier species that the evolved man can learn to reduce and eventually live without. I am currently able to stay up for 72-hour periods, after which I take 5 hours to sleep before waking up for another 72-hour period. During the time I am awake, I organize my applications portfolio, draft interest letters to the medical schools to which I am applying, and study for USMLE Step I. I have no need to work on secondaries because I have already finished all of them over two months ago. If you too limit your sleep, maybe you can be as productive and accomplished as I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have class full time, i work nights in the ER of an accredited hospital, work mornings as a custodian, and study during breaks, with sleep whenever i have a half hour 2 spare-basically i am entirely focused on studying and doing well on the MCAT at the moment, soon 2 b Med college.

My secret is that I limit my sleep. Sleep is an unnecessary artifact of earlier species that the evolved man can learn to reduce and eventually live without. I am currently able to stay up for 72-hour periods, after which I take 5 hours to sleep before waking up for another 72-hour period. During the time I am awake, I organize my applications portfolio, draft interest letters to the medical schools to which I am applying, and study for USMLE Step I. I have no need to work on secondaries because I have already finished all of them over two months ago. If you too limit your sleep, maybe you can be as productive and accomplished as I am.
But I thought you were only applying to harvard??? You had better take some of that non-sleeping time to get your priorities straight...Harvard doesn't like wishy-washy premed students! :p

I was under the impression that the average class (without a lab) was 3 credits (3 days a week, 1 hour per day), although many of my classes were also 4 credits, and I had a few classes that were 5 credits.

I don't think 22 credits is allowed at Penn State (maybe 23 at max, i forget) , though I know at many schools it is. 24-28 is just plain ridiculous.

At my school, 12 is the minimum, 15 is a full load, and 17 is the maximum. If you want to take more, you have to petition; usually they'll let you take up to 19 (the old max) but anything more than that, they'd raise their eyebrows and want a REALLY good reason. If you asked for 28 in a semester (which is a full year's worth for most people) they'd probably just laugh derisively and tell you to get a social life. :)

Humans can't live without sleeping; sleeping is one of the most vidal things to improve your memory and study. Is there a certain thing that you do which helps you gain energy without sleeping? like eating a particular thing, etc.....

Humans can't live without sleeping; sleeping is one of the most vidal things to improve your memory and study. Is there a certain thing that you do which helps you gain energy without sleeping? like eating a particular thing, etc.....

dude, he's a troll. Don't mind him.

If I'm overwhelmed, I do less. I like to lead a low stress life, so I do what I can to ensure it. Even when I'm in a stressful situation, I try to keep perspective on things and so I tend to not be stressed.

edit: this is my 500th post :)

To all my fellow working brethren heres a tip.

GET A SECURITY LICENCE AND WORK SECURITY JOBS.

Security jobs are fawkin awesome.

Its like getting PAID to get good grades.

The 8 hour shifts of loafing around are so boring that you can essentially sit and study all through it while taking occasional study breaks in the form of "patrolling the building"

#1 you get paid for working.
#2 you get FORCED into heavy studying since you have nothing better to do. No distractions.
#3 your actually motivated to study because you feel all sneaky and devilish for getting paid cash for study tim :cool: :cool:

(PS dont get a stupid security job like in the middle of a department store. Im talking about the ones like at the front desk of buildings.)

Today I walked in ucla med school trying to audit some med classes (hehe) and i thought by the time i get to med school and actaully sit in the classes i'd be the youngest kid there (18). But then i saw this kid which i later found out was only 16 year old sitting there with his "suit clothes" looking all hotshotty...... he shattered my dream :( I wanted to be the only hot shot-young- 18 year old in the class. eh, i oughtta put this on myspace not here.... anyways i thought i shared a little shadyness with my fellow sdners; lets see the what you guys' reaction to my unethical thinking is....

For me, I do better when I am constantly busy. One quarter I decided to take it easy and only took 14 units, and I ended up with a GPA in the low 3's. But other quarters when I had ~22 units, I did much better getting close to a 4.0.

I guess it is that laziness factor that kicks in, since when I am busy, I have no chance to be lazy and let it consume me. When I take heavier loads of classes, I am always in the mindset to finish homework and study since I am constantly doing that, so I don't veer off course.

Weird? I know I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, I do better when I am constantly busy. One quarter I decided to take it easy and only took 14 units, and I ended up with a GPA in the low 3's. But other quarters when I had ~22 units, I did much better getting close to a 4.0.

I guess it is that laziness factor that kicks in, since when I am busy, I have no chance to be lazy and let it consume me. When I take heavier loads of classes, I am always in the mindset to finish homework and study since I am constantly doing that, so I don't veer off course.

Weird? I know I am.

NOT WEIRD AT ALL! it's very important to preoccupy yourself in order to stay focus. It makes perfect sense. For me it's kind of the same to; so don't trip bro!

I found that I perform and feel fine with 4 hours of sleep a night. Those 4 hours go a long way towards giving me some free time.

I believe the key is balance and knowing your priorities.

For me, that is school, research, work, and clinical stuff. And- did i mention working out 2 hours a day- KICKBOXING, TONING/ABS, Running.

I guess I follow a schedule, make lists, and find the time to do whatever i want. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE>>>>>

And I believe in sleep 8 hours....and having a social life.

Good Luck,

PG

For me, that is school, research, work, and clinical stuff. And- did i mention working out 2 hours a day- KICKBOXING, TONING/ABS, Running.

I guess I follow a schedule, make lists, and find the time to do whatever i want. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE>>>>>

Good Luck,

PG

For sure. Exercise works really well for me. I bike, and try to go to the gym 3-4 times a week and lift weights. I only get an average of 6 hours of sleep tho, so by the end of my days... I am like this real fast: :sleep:

Good Luck,

PG

Working out keeps me going too. Eight hours would be nice an luxurious, but I have such massive social life needs, that sleeping 8 hours is pretty much out.

I prefer to sacrifice sleep for other activities, like hanging out with people, working out, reading, etc. Also, I try to set aside half an hour or an hour to eat dinner with friends every day. It's always a good break in the middle of a hectic day.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
this must be the legend i've been hearing about

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
this must be the legend i've been hearing about

Hey, this guy speaks some truth. I think some success in undergrad and beyond comes from self-medicating- and NOT from illlegal drug mind you. Caffeine held off until you really really need it; not being afraid to feel crappy from lack of sleep for 48-60 hours; and just frickin sucking it up and studying when you feel like giving up!

ooooh zombie threads :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Today competetion is getting more and more fierced.

Take me for example, I'm taking 22 units next fall, took 21 units last spring, work from 10:00 PM to 2:00 AM, Volunteer at a reputable hospital, and studying to become a stockbroker while studying for the Pre-med stuff!
NOW,
> I excercise
> I eat a healthy diet (semi, atleast)
> I have a semi-balanced social life,

>> Yet, like most people in my position, im exhausted all the time.

I'm sure there are millions of other students like me, and what I'm interested in knowing, is what else do you guys do in order to keep up with everyday. Personally, i'm wrecked, tired, and sleep just doesn't do it for me. Do you guys have any advice?, and for the people who are already doctors, any MEDICAL advice? Thank you very much, I hope this is the right place to post this forum!. ~~~~~> Don't be shy, and write all you want! - Mike

You should be...if you're human! Listen to your body...its telling you to slow down. It sounds like you have a lot going on. You need to pace yourself and know your limits. Getting proper rest, eating, and exercise is most important. Pushing yourself hard is fine, but you have to know when its too much. If you dont have your health, everything else is just gonna fall apart. Pace yourself bro'...you don't wanna burn out and jeopardize everything you are working towards.

I'm a good multitasker. For example, I'd do my physics homework or study for orgo while ward clerking for the ER. Seriously, any few moments (which were VERY few) where I could glance at the books, I would. My current job is much less stressful, so as I complete my duties, I also have the coursework DVD in the background. At home as well, I can be doing homework while watching TV or hanging out with whoever, or on the phone. I guess my biggest "trick" is that I actually pay complete attention in class. Then, I don't have to do AS much outside of class work. The other thing is that I only do things that I enjoy... I like my job, I like my other responsibilities, so, being motivated to dedicate my time to those endeavors helps in keeping me focused. I also get a good quality of sleep. I'm a full believer in no television in the bedroom, no eating in the bedroom, and so forth. I also don't eat anything at least two hours before going to bed.

Today I walked in ucla med school trying to audit some med classes (hehe) and i thought by the time i get to med school and actaully sit in the classes i'd be the youngest kid there (18). But then i saw this kid which i later found out was only 16 year old sitting there with his "suit clothes" looking all hotshotty...... he shattered my dream :( I wanted to be the only hot shot-young- 18 year old in the class. eh, i oughtta put this on myspace not here.... anyways i thought i shared a little shadyness with my fellow sdners; lets see the what you guys' reaction to my unethical thinking is....
I think im jealous of you, which is pretty damn pathetic.