Whats your sex?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frozen_canadian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but I was just wondering if there are any other males on here besides myself - I get the impression that this forum is female dominated!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah - after the "Dansko Clogs" thread I could see why you wold think that.

Another male here. On second thought, this thread should be called
"Male Call"

Adeno

Yeap - but being pre-vet students I think we should refer to gender as Stallions and Fillies!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
after the "Dansko Clogs" thread I could see why you wold think that. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thats actually what got me thinking about starting this thread!

adenovirus said:
Another male here. On second thought, this thread should be called
"Male Call"

lol...this thread makes me laugh. If I was male I'd be half tempted in my interview to answer the "why do you want to be vet" question with "to meet women..."

Wasn't Michigan's class last year 100% female?

I'm mildly concerned about the lack of males in vet school simply b/c virtually all of friends are male. I wonder if males in vet school experience the same phenomena as males at horse barns.....I guess b/c they're a minority they instantly become a hundred times more desireable. At one barn I was at there wasn't one guy (even a few dumb as rocks barn aids) that didn't end up marrying or dating several girls that rode there. It was kinda meat-market-ish.

adenovirus said:
I'm a little surprised you'd think that was girly, actually... I worked in a (human) hospital for a while and everyone wore clogs, men and women. And I saw a clip on TV of a (male) vet talking about the clogs he'd had since starting vet school. And cuisine is very much a male-dominated field and clogs are *the* footwear of chefs and cooks - as evidenced by Emeril Lagasse's and Mario Batalli's choices of footwear, for instance.

I'm not denying the veterinary field is female-dominated, I just thought the clogs thread was a funny choice of evidence. I'd think that, for instance, the in-depth discussion of skirts vs. pants suits and the place of fashion in the interview circuit would have been a bigger tip-off. :)

kate_g said:
I'm a little surprised you'd think that was girly, actually... I worked in a (human) hospital for a while and everyone wore clogs, men and women.

It probably was the degree of chatter RE footwear.

HorseyVet said:
Wasn't Michigan's class last year 100% female?

Where did you hear about this rumor? Someone else had posted this on another thread. From what I remember, there were several first-year males that stopped in to talk to the interview candidates the day I was there....

Iain said:
Yeap - but being pre-vet students I think we should refer to gender as Stallions and Fillies!!!

HEY! How come the guys get to be adults and the girls have to be young? Shouldn't it be Stallions and Mares or Colts and Fillies?

And why horses? Well, I guess it's better than calling us the gender names of dogs...

snowyegret said:
Where did you hear about this rumor? Someone else had posted this on another thread. From what I remember, there were several first-year males that stopped in to talk to the interview candidates the day I was there....

I actually think I heard it from the vet I shadow, but I'm not sure where he heard it from.

:rolleyes:
HorseyVet said:
I actually think I heard it from the vet I shadow, but I'm not sure where he heard it from.
That rumor has been spread for like 3 years, first it was the class of 07 then 08 an I guess now 09.

chris03333 said:
That rumor has been spread for like 3 years, first it was the class of 07 then 08 an I guess now 09.

Yeah.. I had never heard that rumor before... it's pretty ridiculous now that I am hearing it! I can't believe anyone would believe that, let alone SAY it with any authority :)
http://cvm.msu.edu/admis/documents/AdmittedClassProfile2009.pdf
23 out of 107 are male in the class of 2009.

HeartSong said:
HEY! How come the guys get to be adults and the girls have to be young? Shouldn't it be Stallions and Mares or Colts and Fillies?

And why horses? Well, I guess it's better than calling us the gender names of dogs...

Well if you want to be a called an 'old mare' - it is fine with me!!! :laugh: :laugh:

chris03333 said:

When I went to my interview at Western University I was the only guy there. I asked the admissions director about that and she said there were more men coming for interviews the next day (she said it was just happenstance).

chemokine said:
When I went to my interview at Western University I was the only guy there. I asked the admissions director about that and she said there were more men coming for interviews the next day (she said it was just happenstance).
All of the classes had at LEAST 10 males starting out so far. I do not know the demographics of the 2010 class though.

Add one more boy to the list, me.

kate_g said:
I'd think that, for instance, the in-depth discussion of skirts vs. pants suits and the place of fashion in the interview circuit would have been a bigger tip-off. :)
I'm thinking I'll probably go with the pants. That is unless somebody tells me a skirt will increase my chances! :)