1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

What's your top choice?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by AcidETCH, Nov 26, 2002.

1. AcidETCH

AcidETCH UPENN SDM '07

Hi all! It's coming close to that day that everyone has been waiting for! Just out of curiosity, what will your top choice dental school be if everything works out? Thanks to everyone for contibuting to this forum. If it weren't for you folks some of us would be lost. :D Anyways, best of luck when the day comes! Hope that everything works out.

Cheers,
    AE

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor

Dentist
    Every school I interviewed at was great. I interviewed at Temple, UPENN, NOVA, and UW (12/2). I would honestly be happy going to anyone of these schools. However I think it will come down to cost and location for me. I want to live near the school (like walking distance). Location is key for me too. Area has to be safe and clean. So far NOVA and UW fits that description.

Anyways, I will have to see if I get any scholarships or grants. I have an ARMY recruiter after me if I do end up taking the scholarship I will probably go to the most expensive school I can find (UPENN) so I can console myself that I save $300,000 when I go into the service.

Temples dual DMD/MBA is very attractive. However, I think getting a MBA from Wharton (UPENN) would be much better. I am trying to see if that would be possible with my Dental degree. NOVA has a health law degree you can do with your DMD degree, that would definatley help.

So it all boils down to what option I have. Hopefully I will have a lot.

DesiDentist

4. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member

ucsf is great because I can do research, cheap and near home. I also have lots of love for this school and don't really want to go away. Temple is also great about clinical. But I hate driving, especially in the am so if I end up going there I will have to car pool. That's my two top choices now.

5. gryffindor

Dentist

Dentist
    DesiDentist, it's great you have all this ambition. You're on your way to being prepared to bring on dental school when the class of 2007 starts. But earning a DDS is plenty tough by itself without having to earn an MBA or JD at the same time. You're right - an MBA from Penn is probably more attractive than an MBA from Temple - if you were trying to land a job in a big business on Wall Street. To run a successful business in dentistry, the MBA is not really a requirement. Usually you take some courses and seminars and use your own logic and skill (location, treatment presentation, office flow, etc.) to be a successful business person as well as practitioner. I don't know any practicing dentists around here who have an MBA (but maybe that's a regional thing?). The Greater New York Dental Meeting is coming up this weekend; I was glancing at the list of lecturers for the mtg and noticed only 1 had an MBA. And that one is Dr. Roger Levin who is the CEO of Levin Group; he is known for his business/practice management lectures.

Don't get too caught up in the extra degrees unless it's your absolute passion. A DDS is difficult enough and is a very respectable degree regardless of what other letters may follow it. The most common extra degree dentists have is probably an MS that many earn after doing a post-grad speciatly program. I would almost guess that more students pursue a PhD than the MBA in dentistry. Having an MBA doesn't neccesarily make you more "sought after" if you are looking to be an associate and eventually run your own practice. It may give you an edge if you enter into the world of dental products, but weigh your options carefully before signing up for extra courses.

Also, the army/navy/air force programs sound really good on paper, but I would try to talk to some students currently in the program or some recent graduates who are currently doing their payback. Sometimes the recruiters don't want to give out names of these students; you could try asking at the admissions/student affairs offices of the dental schools to see if they will give you the contact info of the students in the army program. If that doesn't work, try e-mailing/contacting class officers at the schools to see if they can put you in touch with the students/recent grads in their classes. The general feeling I get from my classmates about these programs is you have to be totally go-army and committed to the lifestyle; if you are in it for the money, you may find yourself miserable.

6. gryffindor

Dentist

Dentist
    BTW - There is an interesting discussion right now in the "General Residency Issues" forum called "MBA in Medicine."

7. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor

Dentist
    Thanks griffin,

I just found that many dental schools do not incorporate many business/management classes in their curriculum. Therefore, I thought it would be nice to pursue an MBA. Granted right now it seems approachable and I know that in Dental school it will be another story. But I'm keeping my options open, the whole military scholarship isn't for me, but just an option.

Thanks again.

DesiDentist