When a non-profit hospital becomes a for profit hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxBoy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.freep.com/article/201003...nguard-to-spend-1.49B-to-shore-up-improve-DMC

Vanguard deal will spend $1.49B to shore up, improve Detroit Medical Center.

Don't know if this is a good or bad thing... On the outside it looks wonderful seeing as DMC is in desperate need of renovations and resources. The DMC hospitals have been over crowded and providing way too much charitable work to keep a surplus for renovations and improvements. All attempts at federal loans have been rejected previously. Vangaurd is going to pump 1.5 billion in investments.

We have been promised that nothing changes with the residencies, only better equipment, more access to resources, ect. Renovations include brand new ORs and anesthesia equipment.

However, I am always skeptical when a corporation makes such commitments. I am not too familiar with the repercussions when a non-profit hospital becomes a for profit hospital. Any comments on the subject?

DMC is one of the 4 anesthesia programs in all Michigan. Used to be 3 before Beaumont went online this year.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.freep.com/article/201003...nguard-to-spend-1.49B-to-shore-up-improve-DMC

Vanguard deal will spend $1.49B to shore up, improve Detroit Medical Center.

Don't know if this is a good or bad thing... On the outside it looks wonderful seeing as DMC is in desperate need of renovations and resources. The DMC hospitals have been over crowded and providing way too much charitable work to keep a surplus for renovations and improvements. All attempts at federal loans have been rejected previously. Vangaurd is going to pump 1.5 billion in investments.

We have been promised that nothing changes with the residencies, only better equipment, more access to resources, ect. Renovations include brand new ORs and anesthesia equipment.

However, I am always skeptical when a corporation makes such commitments. I am not too familiar with the repercussions when a non-profit hospital becomes a for profit hospital. Any comments on the subject?

DMC is one of the 4 anesthesia programs in all Michigan. Used to be 3 before Beaumont went online this year.

I guess if you are gunning for the public service loan forgiveness program for your student loans....your payer is now a "for profit" entity, the repayments during residency would not be counted toward the 120 repayments....