When am I supposed to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezio

cheese steaks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused. I am a sophomore right now. on track to be class of 2017.

So i imagine i would have to go HAM on studying the MCAT in the summer of 2015 and take it sometime in Fall 2015 or Spring 2016??

also is there a definitive guide for the new MCAT yet? (probably not, right?)

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people study the whole summer after sophomore year and take it sometime before the fall semester starts. For you that would involve studying all of summer 2015 and taking it sometime in August or September of 2015.

Go to the MCAT subforum for more info.

A lot of people study the whole summer after sophomore year and take it sometime before the fall semester starts. For you that would involve studying all of summer 2015 and taking it sometime in August or September of 2015.

Go to the MCAT subforum for more info.

Taking it before junior year is pretty early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking it before junior year is pretty early.

Not for people going straight from undergrad to med school without a gap year. The summer before application is the best time to study for the MCAT with no other responsibilities.

Most people who wish to avoid a gap year take it Spring of Junior year, but that doesn't mean it's the best time to take it. I argue that summer after sophomore year is.

Most people take it either at the end of Summer of sophomore year or at the beginning of Summer at the end of junior year. Also, if you want to take gap years, make sure your MCAT doesn't expire before you apply.

Not for people going straight from undergrad to med school without a gap year. The summer before application is the best time to study for the MCAT with no other responsibilities.

Uh...

I would take the MCAT sometime during my Junior year if that was my plan. Studying in the summer + during the school year.

Everyone recommending the summer after sophomore year is forgetting that the new MCAT actually requires 5 consecutive semesters of chemistry (that's 2.5 years). For most people who will end up taking the new MCAT, they will not have taken 2 semesters of general chemistry, 2 semesters of organic chemistry, and 1 semester of biochemistry by the end of their sophomore year (at least not in this state - every school requires 2nd semester organic before you can start biochemistry).

Everyone recommending the summer after sophomore year is forgetting that the new MCAT actually requires 5 consecutive semesters of chemistry (that's 2.5 years). For most people who will end up taking the new MCAT, they will not have taken 2 semesters of general chemistry, 2 semesters of organic chemistry, and 1 semester of biochemistry by the end of their sophomore year (at least not in this state - every school requires 2nd semester organic before you can start biochemistry).

I'm taking Biochem in my first semester of sophomore year. It's pretty possible with AP Chem or summer Orgo.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking Biochem in my first semester of sophomore year. It's pretty possible with AP Chem or summer Orgo.
I never said it's not possible, I said most people likely will not be doing so.

Most trad students I know take the MCAT after the summer of their Sophomore year. Given the new MCAT biochem requirement, more and more premeds are taking orgo 1&2 during the summer of their freshman year to stay on track.

Take it as soon as you've taken all of your prereqs + physiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take it when you feel ready.

Start with getting a base knowledge by taking as many pre-reqs as possible!

at my school you can take biochemistry and ochem II concurrently.

Reactions: 1 users
Take it when you feel comfortable/ hitting your desired score+2, idealistically. OP, I rushed to take the MCAT and failed the first time because I wasn't ready. Took it again when I was ready and got a 30. Preparation/mental preparedness is key.

Uh...

I would take the MCAT sometime during my Junior year if that was my plan. Studying in the summer + during the school year.

Many people think that the more months you "study" for it, the better you will do. I'd say an intense 3 months of almost uninterrupted prep is much better than 3 months of intense uninterrupted prep + sporadic studying throughout the year. You are likely going to forget a lot of the studying you did over the summer if you aren't actively keeping up with practice. Doing it during the school year when you have all your junior year classes and all your extracurricular activities probably won't be as intense as during the summer.

I took the old MCAT after my sophomore year, but was able to take Biochemistry and Psychology. I could have even taken Sociology if I wanted to. Biochemistry can be taken concurrently with Organic Chemistry at many schools. I'm not aware of schools that require a full year of Organic Chemistry as a prerequisite for Biochemistry.

Many people think that the more months you "study" for it, the better you will do. I'd say an intense 3 months of almost uninterrupted prep is much better than 3 months of intense uninterrupted prep + sporadic studying throughout the year. You are likely going to forget a lot of the studying you did over the summer if you aren't actively keeping up with practice. Doing it during the school year when you have all your junior year classes and all your extracurricular activities probably won't be as intense as during the summer.

I took the old MCAT after my sophomore year, but was able to take Biochemistry and Psychology. I could have even taken Sociology if I wanted to. Biochemistry can be taken concurrently with Organic Chemistry at many schools. I'm not aware of schools that require a full year of Organic Chemistry as a prerequisite for Biochemistry.

Every single school in my state requires Orgo I and II before Biochemistry.

I'm your class year OP and will be taking it next August. I think it makes more sense to take it when you don't have coursework to worry about concurrently. But I'll have biochem done by then so that's definitely a factor. I think I'll just be missing Sociology and (someone above said Physio is a good prereq? really?? i won't take that until junior fall) I figure the Sociology stuff is pretty easily acquired from review books. My school doesn't have a broad Intro Soc class.

Either take in during the summer or study during the fall when you can (weekends are good) and sprint to the finish during winter break.

WUSTL biochem requires both semesters of orgo and both semesters of intro bio. I'm pretty sure other elite schools are like this too.

WUSTL biochem requires both semesters of orgo and both semesters of intro bio. I'm pretty sure other elite schools are like this too.

Ugh, I see no reason for this. There is really no use in having a complete Organic background before biochem. Sure, you learn more about biomolecules in the latter part of Organic Chemistry, but that's not a good enough reason for me to think that a whole year of Organic Chemistry should be required. One semester to learn about basic mechanisms is sufficient.

Why top schools would do this, especially when many allow incoming freshmen to take Organic Chemistry already, is beyond me.

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile

Ugh, I see no reason for this. There is really no use in having a complete Organic background before biochem. Sure, you learn more about biomolecules in the latter part of Organic Chemistry, but that's not a good enough reason for me to think that a whole year of Organic Chemistry should be required. One semester to learn about basic mechanisms is sufficient.

Why top schools would do this, especially when many allow incoming freshmen to take Organic Chemistry already, is beyond me.

My school is very, very far from a top school and it also require 1 year of orgo and 1 year of bio before biochem. Idk if your biochem is different but it would be impossible to understand anything about mechanisms in pathways without having a solid foundation in orgo in our biochem class. Maybe it's because our Biochem is the same for biochem majors; there's no intro or easier biochem for non majors.

My school is very, very far from a top school and it also require 1 year of orgo and 1 year of bio before biochem. Idk if your biochem is different but it would be impossible to understand anything about mechanisms in pathways without having a solid foundation in orgo in our biochem class. Maybe it's because our Biochem is the same for biochem majors; there's no intro or easier biochem for non majors.

I've never heard of biochem being taught to non-majors any differently than to majors. The later ones just need to take more semesters of it.

My school is also far, far away from a top school and we are required to take both Orgo I and II courses prior to taking biochem. I agree with Aerus in the sense that knowing only basic mechanisms is sufficient, but I don't know if that's true for the average student. Many students don't apply orgo I concepts even to Orgo II, let alone biochem.

I go to a HYPSM and we have two biochem courses. One requires the first term of orgo, the other can be taken concurrently with orgo. so it definitely is possible

My biochem course is the one that biochem majors take. And you don't need a year of Organic Chemistry to understand mechanisms...A semester is more than sufficient.

apparently i have to take biochem senior year because it is a 4000 level class. but i am not sure

apparently i have to take biochem senior year because it is a 4000 level class. but i am not sure

I'm not cognizant of how the 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 system works, but you should be able to take it if you fulfilled the prerequisites for the class. I've taken a lot of upper level classes as a freshman and sophomore. Check with your school to be sure.

I've never heard of biochem being taught to non-majors any differently than to majors. The later ones just need to take more semesters of it.
Yeah I haven't either but then again I don't know about all the schools so I didn't know of other schools had different courses for biochem majors

My biochem course is the one that biochem majors take. And you don't need a year of Organic Chemistry to understand mechanisms...A semester is more than sufficient.

Our Orgo I course doesn't teach mechanisms aside from acids and bases donating and accepting hydrogens. All the markovnikov stuff and everything after that was in orgo II.