When and where to address some old W's on my transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marinehrnt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to get some input on where and when to address some W's and no-pass's on my transcript from my early days in college. I have a total of five W's, all from 1999 and over the course of three terms, none of them were science class. I also have two no-pass from the same time period, once again no science classes. Just not sure how much I need to address this from the start; it was 12 years ago but I don't want to ignore it if it should be addressed early on. Over the past few years I have gone back and gotten straight A's with an overall gpa of 3.6 and a science gpa of 3.74. Address it early or let them ask?

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to get some input on where and when to address some W's and no-pass's on my transcript from my early days in college. I have a total of five W's, all from 1999 and over the course of three terms, none of them were science class. I also have two no-pass from the same time period, once again no science classes. Just not sure how much I need to address this from the start; it was 12 years ago but I don't want to ignore it if it should be addressed early on. Over the past few years I have gone back and gotten straight A's with an overall gpa of 3.6 and a science gpa of 3.74. Address it early or let them ask?

Your story sounds EXACTLY like mine. Same stats, same length of time. I didn't address it in anyway in my apps, and it only came up in one interview. They asked it something like this, "You seem to have two very different stories of your schooling experience, tell us about them." I just told them how it was then (started with no direction, dealing with family issues, blah blah blah) and how it was recently (matured, motivated, driven). Since I was accepted, it seemed an ok choice.

It should be address in your PS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your story sounds EXACTLY like mine. Same stats, same length of time. I didn't address it in anyway in my apps, and it only came up in one interview. They asked it something like this, "You seem to have two very different stories of your schooling experience, tell us about them." I just told them how it was then (started with no direction, dealing with family issues, blah blah blah) and how it was recently (matured, motivated, driven). Since I was accepted, it seemed an ok choice.

Thanks Grey, its nice to know I'm not the only one out there with a checkered transcript from the past. I'm thinking that I will let them ask me about it and try not to bring too much attention to it in my PS. I have heard that making too big of a deal out of it will often draw attention to areas that may have been overlooked otherwise; seems like a fine line between saying too much or nothing at all.

If you saw my "checkered" transcript from 1993 and before, you would be having a fit! I would be thrilled if all I had was a few W's, lol. I just have to hope that they will be willing to look past. I can say this; I am going to do everything possible to put myself in the best position I can. The only reason any admin board will have to deny me will be my poor performance from 20 years ago. If that's not good enough for them, then screw them I say!

I was told NEVER to address it in your personal statement. I was told this by almost everyone who read my personal statement (which is many) on this forum. Ask the people who read the PS's and they will say it doesn't belong there, I was told that often in secondaries they will ask you about any grade issues you may have. I am not divulging my checkered past in my PS... Your PS is about why you want to be a physician, not your grades

I was told NEVER to address it in your personal statement. I was told this by almost everyone who read my personal statement (which is many) on this forum. Ask the people who read the PS's and they will say it doesn't belong there, I was told that often in secondaries they will ask you about any grade issues you may have. I am not divulging my checkered past in my PS... Your PS is about why you want to be a physician, not your grades

Many of your interviews are "blind". That is, the interviewers don't know anything about your grades, they only have your personal statement. In this case, using your PS to defend your bad grades only decreases your chances to make a positive impression during your interview.

As a note, I applied to 9 different schools (allo and osteo), none of the secondaries asked about grade issues. None of my interviews were blind and it was directly addressed in only one interview. In all the interviews, I used it to my advantage because I was asked if being a non-trad makes me a stronger or weaker candidate over a more traditional student. I said that it made me a stronger candidate because I have more life experience and have had time to mature and grow, including failing and dropping out and then putting myself back in the game to come out on top.

All in all, don't fret the small stuff! The adcoms seem way more interested in what you have been doing recently.

I had W's on my transcript from a chemistry and from evolution. I was accepted early decision into my state MD school. It was never brought up during my interview. I would not bring it up on your PS. Your grade improvement speaks for itself.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I truly appreciate all the advice. It seems wise to leave any explanation for poor grades off of my personal statement and save my story if I'm asked in person or at some other part of the process.

Many of your interviews are "blind". That is, the interviewers don't know anything about your grades, they only have your personal statement. In this case, using your PS to defend your bad grades only decreases your chances to make a positive impression during your interview.

I recall you being one of the people who told me not to put it in my PS ;) hehe... I'd have to look back... :)

I recall you being one of the people who told me not to put it in my PS ;) hehe... I'd have to look back... :)

I doubt that I told you that, but my evil alter-ego may have been in control at that moment.