When applying to residencies, do they look at your ugrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBiologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious if employers look at where you went for ugrad and the grades you made, or if they just look at med school and step scores

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I look to see where you went mainly just as a small talk topic for interviews. We don't have undergrad grades in ERAS.

"So I see you have a 262, multiple publications and some outstanding letters, but tell me about that C in Ochem 1... we typically don't match people with those types of grades here.."

Respected senior faculty residency interviewer: I see you went to *large state school*... so did I!
Me: 45 minute conversation about said school's football program and rampant speculation about said school's potential new football coach.
Interviewer: I guess we should have talked about your research... but this was way more fun.

Spoiler alert: I matched at that program.

Reactions: 7 users
Respected senior faculty residency interviewer: I see you went to *large state school*... so did I!
Me: 45 minute conversation about said school's football program and rampant speculation about said school's potential new football coach.
Interviewer: I guess we should have talked about your research... but this was way more fun.

Spoiler alert: I matched at that program.

Ortho? ;)

Reactions: 1 users
If you didnt go to a prep school or famous magnet school forget about matching in Derm.

04Xvb.gif

Mentioned casually in interviews sometimes. I can imagine going somewhere like Harvard could place you in a more positive light

I hear they're looking as far back as Montessori school.
I knew I should have taken finger painting more seriously. I am wondering if my pee my pants incident counts as an IA.

Reactions: 4 users
I knew I should have taken finger painting more seriously. I am wondering if my pee my pants incident counts as an IA.
I'm not sure if it would be an IA, but it might make PD's question whether or not you will be able to maintain a 'seal' during those long shifts.

Reactions: 1 users
I hear they're looking as far back as Montessori school.

When I picked a preschool for my kids, I made sure to look at their list of previous students, including undergrad colleges, med schools, step scores, and residencies.

Ortho residency at MGH or bust.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
On your ERAS application, you list your prior schools, including undergrad and any community colleges and such you went to. You also have to have experience to explain any gap years. But no where on the application does it list your undergraduate grades. The weeding comes predominately at the point of med school entry--once you've made it that far, they don't care about your past unless there is something you have done that prevents you from getting a license.