When are dental schools making acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredds

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas when dental schools accept students ? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

They can begin accepting Dec. 1.

EcoRI is correct, Dec. 1 is the first "legal" day schools can tell students in writing. However, don't think that schools will wait until Dec. 1 to make decisions. If you have interviewed already then they already probably made a decision of you. However, this year there is a dilemma. Dec. 1 lies on a Sunday. I talked to Mark Lombard of Temple and he said that they will send out the first batch of acceptances probably the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. So someone might be lucky and get accepted before Dec. 1. Corky Cacas of UPENN said the same thing that they might send the first batch out a couple days early so they can arrive around Dec. 1. NOVA said that I should hear by Dec. 1. So I'm assuming they will do the same thing.

Yikes, just last year I was anxious for other people, but this year I can't believe it is going to be me.

good luck to everyone.

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad :)
DesiDentist,
I really hope you go to UPenn, because I sure as hell don't want to be your classmate at Nova next year!
C-ya

UNLV said they would send out on Dec 2nd.
I am wondering---if you are not a competitive applicant, but go to the interview before December, will a school put your acceptance on "hold" so they can see if there are better applicants out there to take your spot?
Or do they just send out the acceptances or rejections to everyone who interviewed prior to Dec 1....on dec 1!!!

Originally posted by Beagle
UNLV said they would send out on Dec 2nd.
I am wondering---if you are not a competitive applicant, but go to the interview before December, will a school put your acceptance on "hold" so they can see if there are better applicants out there to take your spot?
Or do they just send out the acceptances or rejections to everyone who interviewed prior to Dec 1....on dec 1!!!

For medical schools, it is a common practice to place qualified students on waiting lists and admit them one by one. After all, a majority of med applicants have high gpas, good letters, solid experience, etc.

Again, I'm not trying to bash dental schools as 'inferior.' But a lot of dental school applicants have around 2.5 - 3.3 gpas ( most claim that they were pre-dental from the start but we all know that they were pre-med at some point. Notice the strikingly positive correlation between relatively lower gpas and dental applicants vs. rel. high gpas and med applicants. There is a reason for that and some die-hard patrons here are unwilling to admit it.)

So if you have like a 3.2 and a DAT 18 and you're an okay kid, they're likely to mark you up for an acceptance on Dec. It's not like they'll be receiving a lot of exceptional applications that they should wait and compare you to the late coming applications and admit people sparingly until the last seat had been given to a candidate who was chosen carefully on the basis of his grades, recs, essays, experience, ethics, empathy, and extracurriculars.

Like in everything else, this would not be the case if you're applying to the best or state-restricted schools.

Beagle,

Admissions at Columbia and UOP told me that they will send out all acceptance, denial, or alternative list notifications on Dec. 1 to all applicants that interviewed prior to Dec. 1. So I'm assuming other dental schools will do the same. Basically, if you interviewed before Dec. 1, then you will receive some sort of a decision. They won't leave us hanging with suspense.

Slave4MD,

wow, you've just proven once again that you are an idiot. Congratulations.

To answer the poster: schools may very well put you on a waitlist. Lots of applicants get moved off the waitlists throughout the winter and the spring. If your top choice puts you on a waitlist, don't fret! There is still a great possibility that you will be able to matriculate. :D

Get lost slave4md

All those in favor of kick slave4md off this board say yes. Really tired of hearing your 2cents.

Yes, and Yes.

Slave4MD,

your put downs on the dental profession are really getting old. If you feel that dentistry is so inferior to medicine, why are you applying to dental schools. Seems very stupid to me.

Yeah,
I just don't get it still why someone so smart wants to be in the same class with "stupid people"? It will be a big pain for the smart ass, because mostly the stupid kids will hang out together. What's your business then? It's easier and less competitive in the dental school? Stay on top of the curve all by yourself?

I just talked with the Admissions Office at UNC and they said:
1. They will not be able to give any information about acceptance over the phone.
2. They will most likely not send out the acceptance letters until Dec. 2nd.

yes to hockey dentist!
maybe dental schools just do things differently than medical schools, we have more than enough qualified applicants that are already interviewed prior dec 1st and there's no need for them to wait and compare later interviewees... applying early is a strategy too...

All my dental buddies,
Just ignore slave4mD. We just finished kicking him/her off the pre-od forum. He/she was trolling there too.