When are interviews if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexrgross

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any med students answer here?
I plan to study abroad this summer and into next fall.
Im will apply in June and should be complete somewhere around the 15th.

When do I need to plan to return from overseas to make interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Can any med students answer here?
I plan to study abroad this summer and into next fall.
Im will apply in June and should be complete somewhere around the 15th.

When do I need to plan to return from overseas to make interviews?

Depends mainly on the strength of your application and how the schools conduct interviews. The earliest schools begin interviewing "strong candidates" maybe beginning early August. Most schools bring in those who apply early between September and October. Almost all give you your choice of dates though, so you have some flexibility.

I would plan on being back around mid-August; mid September at the latest just to be on the safe side.

If your top choice schools have non-rolling admissions, there's nothing wrong with staying overseas into the fall and scheduling interviews November-February. Even some schools with rolling admissions are very selective about who they accept in the fall (Case Western comes to mind), so you wouldn't be at much of a disadvantage if you schedule interviews in Nov/Dec.

If your application is less than strong and you're planning on applying to rolling admission schools, be back to interview by the end of September at the latest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your opinions, its is good to think about.

Any med students out there can chime in?

You can write on your AMCAS (at the end, after the essay) that you will be in X until [date]. You can also send an email to each school with this information. If a school wants to interview you, they will save you a spot for the timeframe when you are back in the States. The annual meeting of the AAMC is usually within the first 10 days of November but there are many interviews the rest of the month with the exception of Thanksgiving (last Thursday in November).