SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

When are interviews offered?

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by Blue Frog, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Blue Frog

Blue Frog Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 8, 2006
    When are most interviews offered for residency? (As in when do they send the email to offer you an interview)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. EM_Rebuilder

EM_Rebuilder Member Physician 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas

October- January I would say covers it. VERY VERY VERY few after the 2nd week or so of December. Most the last part of October and first part of November....

4. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    After you send out your ERAS, which you can't do until September. So, wait until after that.

5. Blue Frog

Jul 8, 2006
    So if you take Step 2 mid to late october, most of your interviews have already been offered...and I read in another post that once you interview they don't care that much about step 2 scores anymore...so if you take step 2 in october, your scores don't matter that much? ...or is that cmment about step 2 not being important after inerviews not true?

6. membsr-8890

membsr-8890 2+ Year Member

Sep 18, 2006
    If they have your score, it will matter. My advice: if you plan on doing well and want your score to matter, take step 2 as early as possible (August). If you did well on step 1 and don't want your step 2 score to get in before rol deadline, take it as late as possible (Dec/Jan).

If you try to go somewhere in the middle (October), your scores will be available around early December; if you don't report them in ERAS, programs will wonder what you are hiding.

7. Pinner Doc

Pinner Doc drop knees, not bombs 7+ Year Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Does the time when you take Step 2 make a difference in when you get interview offers?

I'm having a hard time deciding if you're implying there's a link.

8. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    Interview offers are given out at the same time, you just get more if you are a "better" candidate in the eyes of people who give them out. If you kick ass on Step II, you get more interviews. If you suck, you'll get fewer.

9. Blue Frog

Jul 8, 2006
    When is the deadline for the PDs? When you say "as late as possible" why do you say dec/jan? I would think results would end up coming in before the deadline then? And don't you sometimes need that for some programs? So even if you try to wait, you would eventually have to release your scores to all programs anyways? If you schedule so your scores come after the deadline are you risking that some programs may require your score? Is there a way to find out what programs will require it to avoid this problem? Sorry, thats a lot of questions...i just feel a little lost at the moment. :oops: Thanks!