When are interviews typically conducted if you apply early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsh

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I´m sorry if this information is available elsewhere, but I´ve searched through a lot of the stickied threads and haven´t had too much luck. I´m thinking about studying abroad the spring semester of my senior year from Feb.15th to graduation time. I plan to apply within the first week or so of AMCAS opening up and being on-top of my secondaries as I´ll only have light managerial research obligations during the next summer and a relatively easy fall quarter.

The only thing I´ve found is that interviews have started as early as October, and that people have had interviews as late as April. For a typical early applicant, when should I expect to start and end interviewing? I have pretty good stats, so I think I should be in the first couple of waves of interviewing at most schools, but I might just be being cocky.

I´ll be studying language in South Korea, so internet connectivity should be a non-issue. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I think most schools start interviewing in October, while some start as early as September. My first interview was at the end of September. It's always good to get your stuff out early and get the interviews done quickly.

My first was the beginning of September. I think the best thing about applying early is that you get first pick of dates and can coordinate interviews as well as spread them out over 3-6 months so that you don't get stressed out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting situation. Interviews are held year-round are are based on (1) How competitive you are and (2) How early you apply. You're making the right choice to submitt your application as soon as possible. Also, don't forget to send your secondaries and letters of recommendation, too. Then, you could be contacted for interviews as early as August. If you really feel that you are in a bind, there are two options you can take. If have not received any interviews by November, you could call or write the admissions committees to alert them that you'll be leaving the country soon and will need to interview before February. The second option is to send a short letter with your secondaries mentioning that you'll be abroad during the spring semester and that you request that schools contact you in the fall if they want to interview you.

The good news is that most interviews take place before February. You won't be missing out too much. If all else fails, in extremely rare circumstances, some pre-meds have conducted phone interviews while they are overseas.

I applied the first week AMCAS was out. I filled out my secondaries within two days of receipt. My earliest interviews were September 22... and 3 of the 4 were DO schools. One MD interview in September, but none of the other MD schools have said anything to me post-secondary. I'm a pretty numbers-average applicant, tho. efex had AWESOME stats. My earliest invite was received the first couple of days in September.