When are letters of rec considered LATE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

napoleondynamite

Keepin' it real yo
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of filling out my ERAS currently and (quite regrettably) still have not even asked faculty for letters of recommendation yet. I decided on RadOnc rather late, and am just completing my first rotation in RadOnc. I plan on asking for letters in the next week or so & assume it will take several weeks probably for them to be submitted.

Soooo, assuming I have ZERO letters submitted to ERAS until mid-Septemberish, is that going to hurt me? Also, I am doing an away rotation at a big name school next month in the hopes of getting a letter. How late is too late to submit that bad boy?

Looking forward to meeting you all on the interview trail (assuming I will have an interview trail!) Thanks for all the good advice these last several months. ND.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about getting a letter from a PhD? I know that this is probably not ideal, but would it be completely frowned upon? The reason I ask is that I did research between 1st and 2nd year with a PhD as my mentor. I recieved a grant for the research & thought it might look good to have that mentioned. But is it worth it if the letter is from a PhD? Thanks.

Gfunk6 said:
If said PhD was your research mentor AND you recieved a grant through his lab, then it is definitely worthwhile to ask them to write you a LOR.

OK, thanks Gfunk6. For some reason, I have been under the impression for a long time that in this field letters are ONLY acceptable from RadOnc physicians...appreciate your advice. ND.