1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

When are letters of rec considered LATE?

Discussion in 'Radiation Oncology' started by napoleondynamite, Aug 11, 2006.

1. napoleondynamite

napoleondynamite Keepin' it real yo
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm in the process of filling out my ERAS currently and (quite regrettably) still have not even asked faculty for letters of recommendation yet. I decided on RadOnc rather late, and am just completing my first rotation in RadOnc. I plan on asking for letters in the next week or so & assume it will take several weeks probably for them to be submitted.

Soooo, assuming I have ZERO letters submitted to ERAS until mid-Septemberish, is that going to hurt me? Also, I am doing an away rotation at a big name school next month in the hopes of getting a letter. How late is too late to submit that bad boy?

Looking forward to meeting you all on the interview trail (assuming I will have an interview trail!) Thanks for all the good advice these last several months. ND.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. stephew

stephew SDN Super Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

just submitt each piece as soon as it comes in.

4. Gfunk6

Gfunk6 And to think . . . I hesitated
    Physician PhD Faculty Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Be sure to call each faculty member 1x per week as necessary to remind them about the reco. Before you ask emphasize that you need them quickly. Be very humble and gracious.

5. napoleondynamite

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What about getting a letter from a PhD? I know that this is probably not ideal, but would it be completely frowned upon? The reason I ask is that I did research between 1st and 2nd year with a PhD as my mentor. I recieved a grant for the research & thought it might look good to have that mentioned. But is it worth it if the letter is from a PhD? Thanks.

6. Gfunk6

Gfunk6 And to think . . . I hesitated
    Physician PhD Faculty Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If said PhD was your research mentor AND you recieved a grant through his lab, then it is definitely worthwhile to ask them to write you a LOR.

7. napoleondynamite

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

OK, thanks Gfunk6. For some reason, I have been under the impression for a long time that in this field letters are ONLY acceptable from RadOnc physicians...appreciate your advice. ND.