When are secondaries sent out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tf2medic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When are secondaries sent by schools? I understand you send in your primaries first and then they send you the secondaries after. My main question is what is considered the primary. Are teacher recs part of the primary? So, even if you send in your AMCAS form earlier and the schools receive it, will they not send you the secondaries until they receive your teach recs?

So basically, what is a completed primary comprised of? Where do teacher recs come in? Do they need to be sent in with primary or do they make no difference if you send them later along with secondaries? Thanks

I'm wondering this because my premed committee doesn't even write their recommendation till mid July and they send all your teacher recs in a big packet along with their committee letter. So if secondaries are not sent until they receive your recs, then it doesn't matter if I wait till July to send in my primaries. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Primary does not include your letters of recommendation. Secondary applications ask you to send them in-- so you only do so if you have been selected for a secondary. Some schools automatically grant secondaries to every applicant who applies (Harvard) whereas some schools are very selective in who does and does not get a secondary (UCSF, UC schools in general).

The primary basically contains:
-Your basic information
-Your extracurricular activities
-Your coursework and GPA
-Your MCAT
-Your personal statement

Very general-- that's why they have secondaries, so schools can learn something specific that they want to know about you.

is there a disadvantage to send them 3 weeks into June as opposed to June 1st when AMCAS opens? my GPA will be .2-.3 higher if I wait b/c i'll get in my summer class grades. it might not seem like a big difference but it'd take me from a 3.555 science and 3.60 overall to a 3.57something and 3.625. I think just aesthetically it makes me feel better haha...is it worth waiting 3 weeks for that slight gpa boost?

Members don't see this ad :)
Three weeks into June is still quite early. It's your call. Secondaries can be received instantly, or some take months before you are awarded one.

I had to wait for my MCAT score (I took it May 25th), so I didn't even apply until a week or two into July and it worked out just fine so far.

is there a disadvantage to send them 3 weeks into June as opposed to June 1st when AMCAS opens? my GPA will be .2-.3 higher if I wait b/c i'll get in my summer class grades. it might not seem like a big difference but it'd take me from a 3.555 science and 3.60 overall to a 3.57something and 3.625. I think just aesthetically it makes me feel better haha...is it worth waiting 3 weeks for that slight gpa boost?

I would say that there's very little harm in waiting. This past cycle you could submit your primary starting around June 5th or 6th, but AMCAS didn't actually send the primary to any schools until June 21st. A couple of schools may send the secondary at the end of June, but the vast majority sent it in July, with a few running into August. The only detriment would be verification time, but it seemed to only be a few days in mid to late June. The first day it only took one day. But provided you submit sometime in June, I think you'll be set. But to be honest, I don't know if that .3 will really matter though. Miami had said that their OOS cutoff was 3.6, but then mid-cycle they stopped screening and sent the secondary to everyone. I'm not sure if any other schools have a 3.6 cutoff though. :luck:

yeah, a cutoff of like 3.6 is why i do want to wait. i feel pretty good about getting all As this semseter and that'll give me exactly a 3.6 overall. if i messup one class tho i won't see that 6 in there...which could be made up thru summer class. so who knows...

anyways, you're sure AMCAS doesn't send them out till June 21st? I just don't want to miss the first interview cycle at schools

yeah, a cutoff of like 3.6 is why i do want to wait. i feel pretty good about getting all As this semseter and that'll give me exactly a 3.6 overall. if i messup one class tho i won't see that 6 in there...which could be made up thru summer class. so who nows...

anyways, you're sure AMCAS doesn't send them out till June 21st? I just don't want to miss the first interview cycle at schools

I'm absolutely not sure. I have no idea what AMCAS is doing this year. That's what they did last year. Perhaps check with AMCAS and see what they say.

And don't sweat that .1 so much. The vast majority of schools do not seem to have a 3.6 cut off.

yeah, a cutoff of like 3.6 is why i do want to wait. i feel pretty good about getting all As this semseter and that'll give me exactly a 3.6 overall. if i messup one class tho i won't see that 6 in there...which could be made up thru summer class. so who knows...

Most schools don't interview until sept./oct. at the earliest, so I'd say you're pretty safe there. Just make sure you submit your secondaries quickly, and you'll be fine.

soo i was a bit mistaken. the first summer session actually ends June 27th, so i wouldn't submit my AMCAS till very end of June/early July. with everything else staying the same that i mentioned before, now what are your opinions?? is that too late??

Some schools like UCSF can take until October or November to get a 2ndary from. But most send you an auto-2ndary as soon as they get your primary. Why the kindness? Because they want your MONEY. Check out that handy AMCAS book with all the schools to see which schools send out auto-2naries.