When are you moving for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SugarNaCl

Dental Student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering when everyone was moving for dental school.... because I'm nosey and bored waiting for my serum samples to thaw for DNA extraction...and that's a bad combination for me. I'm moving early July but have no idea if to an apt or a house yet. Need to figure that one out. You?

Members don't see this ad.

I am already in San Antonio, but will be moving closer to the medical center early June... we start classes July 16th.

late june/early july

hope that fascinating piece of info helps pass the time

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure. We'll be back from New Zealand end of July, so probably move very soon after that. Also need to find an apartment in NYC before the move - at that is ALWAYS a huge pain in the a$$. I'll probably look in Brooklyn or Hoboken- a little easier to find reasonable housing there.

My last day at my current job is July 6th, but I may start moving the weekend before that.

Speaking of buying a house, Sugar...

Will banks even loan you the money to purchase a home if you aren't going to have any income for the next 4 years?

I'm sure there have got to be dental students out there that currently own a home and qualified for their current mortgages. I suppose it depends on a number of factors...credit score, etc.

My wife and I have great credit scores and are currently working so I'm wondering if it would be wise to apply for the loan now while we still can document that we have jobs?

What I would like to do is purchase a cheaper house or condo and essentially use my educational loan money to pay for the mortgage. Ever hear of anybody doing just that?

I am already in San Antonio, but will be moving closer to the medical center early June... we start classes July 16th.

July 16th?! wow that is pretty early (for schools besides Pacific)...we don't start until August 28th, and that is for orientation. Kinda crazy how different the start dates are. To the OP, probably in late July or early August

We have orientation last week of July and classes start first week of August. I'm quitting my job in June and I'm planning on moving closer to school early July (probably after a good week of partying to celebrate ending my current job oh and independence day:thumbup: ).

Speaking of buying a house, Sugar...

Will banks even loan you the money to purchase a home if you aren't going to have any income for the next 4 years?

I'm sure there have got to be dental students out there that currently own a home and qualified for their current mortgages. I suppose it depends on a number of factors...credit score, etc.

My wife and I have great credit scores and are currently working so I'm wondering if it would be wise to apply for the loan now while we still can document that we have jobs?

What I would like to do is purchase a cheaper house or condo and essentially use my educational loan money to pay for the mortgage. Ever hear of anybody doing just that?

I really don't know. I have been doing research on this too. I'm meeting with someone at my bank soon though and will let you know if I find out anything at all. I was thinking about trying to see if a bank would loan us money for a house in VA before we moved from NY using the salary info from before I start dental school (my husband and my current jobs) and not letting them know I'm even thinking about going back to school. Not sure which way to play it yet.

I was thinking about trying to see if a bank would loan us money for a house in VA before we moved from NY using the salary info from before I start dental school (my husband and my current jobs) and not letting them know I'm even thinking about going back to school. Not sure which way to play it yet.

Exactly what we were thinking about doing. Yeah, if you get some info keep me updated. I'd much rather pay a bit more on a mortgage than blow everything on rent for 4 years.

Hey, I was just wondering when everyone was moving for dental school.... because I'm nosey and bored waiting for my serum samples to thaw for DNA extraction...and that's a bad combination for me. I'm moving early July but have no idea if to an apt or a house yet. Need to figure that one out. You?

Although classes at my school don't begin until mid-to-late August, I have an apartment lease that begins in July. ... As it will likely take a few trips to get all of my stuff down to Philadelphia from MA, I'll probably begin the process of moving in some time around mid July. I doubt I'll start living in my apartment full-time until the week before classes begin.