Quantcast

When are you notified of FinAid by Med Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EggPLANTman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
When do schools tell you about their estimated financial aid package? If you have to make a decision by May, they must notify you before then because a lot of people (myself included) place a lot of weight on finances when deciding which school to attend, right?. For schools with a fixed acceptance date, do they notify you with your acceptance (eg. HMS, UPenn)? And for rolling schools (eg. Hopkins), are you notified sometime in march/april? Thanks, any information on this would be appreciated, a lot of my decision is based on the aid.

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You probably want to verify this, but I've heard that you can get an extension beyond the May 15 final decision date if you're still waiting on financial aid packages from some schools. Ideally schools try to notify you in April, but it's certainly possible you won't find out until mid to late May. FA is separate from admissions, so I'd be surprised if you were notified with your acceptance.

EggPLANTman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if schools can give an unofficial estimate of aid based on FAFSA and Need Access/Institutional supplement? Most schools require copies of your parents and your 2007 tax returns and W2's, but those don't need to be filed until April 15th, so if one of my parents files by the 15th and I can't get a copy of it into the school until late April they can't give me an official quote, but what about a quote based on my other forms? I feel as though several people wait until the deadline to file taxes, so I can't be the only one in that position...