When can i travel on a H1b visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkpwalker

ID Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i was informed today by my residency coordinator that some of the other prospective PG1s like myself who will be migrating on an H1b visa were told by their embassies that they cannot enter the US until june 21, 10 days before they are due to start residency on july 1. Is this true for all H1b visas? this will mean that we will miss our first week of orientation. :(

Members don't see this ad.

You can't come on your H1b any earlier that 10 days. Your H1b could be dated earlier, especially if your orientation is paid.

Another possible option is coming on a visitor's visa, which depends on your country of origin. If so, you'll need to leave the US, get your H1b stamped, and then come back before starting work. Sometimes, the H1b can be stamped by an embassy not in the US -- I have had residents go to Canada for this.

Easiest (and safest) is to just come 10 days early, but that often makes finding a place to live, getting a car (if needed), etc difficult.

Another possible option is coming on a visitor's visa, which depends on your country of origin. If so, you'll need to leave the US, get your H1b stamped, and then come back before starting work. Sometimes, the H1b can be stamped by an embassy not in the US -- I have had residents go to Canada for this.

You can actually get the H1b and a B1/2 visitors visa stamped at the same time. You can then enter on the B1/2 a couple of weeks before and once you fall into the 10 day window you take a stroll over the Ambassador bridge in Detroit, surrender your I94 and re-enter on the H1b. That way, you save yourself the problem of having to get two appointments with the consulate. Be prepared to answer some inquisitive questions by the CBP officer at the border if you do that. They are not entirely stupid and would suspect that you actually intend to start to work before your official h1b start date.

Unless they do usefull stuff like ACLS/ATLS during your orientation, most of it is a royal waste of time. I cannot imagine how you can fill 2 weeks with orientation.

Tell the program that you can only enter 10 days before and ask them to accomodate you (e.g. by setting you up with a ACLS course during the second week).

You can actually get the H1b and a B1/2 visitors visa stamped at the same time. You can then enter on the B1/2 a couple of weeks before and once you fall into the 10 day window you take a stroll over the Ambassador bridge in Detroit, surrender your I94 and re-enter on the H1b. That way, you save yourself the problem of having to get two appointments with the consulate. Be prepared to answer some inquisitive questions by the CBP officer at the border if you do that. They are not entirely stupid and would suspect that you actually intend to start to work before your official h1b start date.

Unless they do usefull stuff like ACLS/ATLS during your orientation, most of it is a royal waste of time. I cannot imagine how you can fill 2 weeks with orientation.

Tell the program that you can only enter 10 days before and ask them to accomodate you (e.g. by setting you up with a ACLS course during the second week).

Funny you should say that, I am from jamaica and have been travelling to the US on a B1/B2 for years which is still valid for the next 7 years. The ACLS is actually scheduled for the first week of orientation and it seems that a lot of us may miss it because of this 10 entry rule. They could easily reschedule it for the second week to accomodate everybody, i don't see why not. will have a little chat with my residency coordinator. thanks for the advice.