When can you call yourself a clinical psychologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jadezomb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At what point can you call yourself a clinical psychologist? I have seen a few post-docs this year refer to themselves as clinical psychologists. However, I recall hearing from professors that this is not appropriate until you are licensed. Does it vary by state?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if one has the required hours and passed the EPPP but they are still on postdoc (i.e., two year neuropsych postdocs for example), they are licensed clinical psychologists.

Also, if one has the required hours and passed the EPPP but they are still on postdoc (i.e., two year neuropsych postdocs for example), they are licensed clinical psychologists.

Only if they're actually licensed, as their state may require additonal exams.

Although again, can vary by state. They're usually pretty explicit about use of the term.

Also, I think it's important to point out that the term "clinical psychologist" isn't necessarily specifically protected. It's the term "psychologist," as there are of course school and counseling psychologists.

In my case, I didn't define myself as a psychologist on postdoc until I had a license in hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Only if they're actually licensed, as their state may require additonal exams.

Although again, can vary by state. They're usually pretty explicit about use of the term.

Also, I think it's important to point out that the term "clinical psychologist" isn't necessarily specifically protected. It's the term "psychologist," as there are of course school and counseling psychologists.

In my case, I didn't define myself as a psychologist on postdoc until I had a license in hand.

Interesting....I had no idea that states may require additional exams. Good to know!

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting....I had no idea that states may require additional exams. Good to know!

Most states have a test about the relevant laws. Usually covers if a psychologist can admit someone to the hospital, when to call child protective services, when disclosures are permitted, don't have sex with patients, how much CE credits you need, etc. it's typically open book, and the questions are phrased verbatim out of the law. Control F can basically get you to a passing grade. This is why I typically recommend slamming ones head against a hard object as the appropriate method of preparation for this exam.

Some states have an oral exam. They tend to be very collegial and focus upon the basics of practice and the local laws. Pretty easy.

Louisiana has requirements to use the title neuropsychologist. You have to add in stuff in your application and the oral exam covers more stuff in this area.

Louisiana, New Mexico, Illinois, and Iowa require one to pass the PEP exam to practice as a prescribing/ medical psychologist. Illinois has some other requirements as well. Guam has basically no requirements for this. The DoD and IHS require state licensure as an MP.

Reactions: 2 users
Most commonly they're jurisprudence exams, but some also require oral exams or additional written tests.

Most states have a test about the relevant laws. Usually covers if a psychologist can admit someone to the hospital, when to call child protective services, when disclosures are permitted, don't have sex with patients, how much CE credits you need, etc. it's typically open book, and the questions are phrased verbatim out of the law. Control F can basically get you to a passing grade. This is why I typically recommend slamming ones head against a hard object as the appropriate method of preparation for this exam.

Some states have an oral exam. They tend to be very collegial and focus upon the basics of practice and the local laws. Pretty easy.

Louisiana has requirements to use the title neuropsychologist. You have to add in stuff in your application and the oral exam covers more stuff in this area.

Louisiana, New Mexico, Illinois, and Iowa require one to pass the PEP exam to practice as a prescribing/ medical psychologist. Illinois has some other requirements as well. Guam has basically no requirements for this. The DoD and IHS require state licensure as an MP.

Thanks for the information!

When you have passed all required examinations and are awarded (at least provisional) licensure.