When choosing a dental school....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this kind of question has been asked before, just want to collect opinions from all of the SDNers here!
When choosing a dental school, what do you care the most? Please rank the following in order of importance to you: the facilities, academic (e.g. board scores, number of ppl who get into residency programs), the atmosphere/people, location or tuition?

My preference:
1. academic
2. atmosphere/people
3. location
4. facilities
5. tuition

:clap:
~Qoo

Members don't see this ad.

way to go, desidentist! :D
i know many ppl have viewed this thread, contribute ur ideas too!! please?!?!?!

:love:
~Qoo

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree too. The only thing that I would contribute is to divide the acedemic portion. I think clinical and book work should be seperate. On my list clinical is numver 1.

Qoo,

The only thing I would think of adding might be research activity. I think it is important to have a well balanced dental eduation. There are dental schools out there that only focus on clinical, that is good, but research is very critical as well. Going to an R1 school does not mean just doing research an applicant must be able to interperet and digest research oriented material and I don't think a lot of dental schools prepare you for that.

Hope that helps.

DesiDentist

Tuition is number one in my book. ANY dental school in the country is capable of giving a good education, depending on how much effort you are willing to put in on your end.

Saving $30,000 a year is much more important to me than academic reputation.

I have to agree with Gavin on this one. I'd go with this list:

1. Tuition
2. Academic
3. Facilities
4. Atmosphere/People
5. Location

Although I'd rank Academic and Facilities together because I wouldn't want to work on patients in a cramped dungeon.

Debt is something students tend to overlook in this process. Talk to some young practitioners out there who attended some of the REALLY expensive schools and ask them how much per month they pay in student loans. When I asked this question in 1997 to a graduate of Penn (a very expensive private school) and a graduate of Buffalo (cost of attending is half of Penn if you are from NY), the Penn dentist said she paid $3000 a month and the Buffalo dentist paid $900. At that point, my decision was made - Buffalo.

Do you know what you can do with $2100 a month? "Academic reputation" of you your school means very little once you are out in the real world. At that point, your experience and making ends meet matter way more than what university is listed on your diploma.

I agree with Griffin. This is my list ;)
1. tuition
2. location
3. academic
4. reputation

I don't care about people, atmosphere. I'm doing well no matter where I end up to be.
:D
Tink