When choosing a med school, how much weight should one put on available residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpanishMusical

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this should go to the X vs Y school thread; please move it if needed.

Basically, I've been accepted to two medical schools: one T20 with full tuition scholarship and Cinci (with in-state tuition). I know it should be a simple decision, but Cinci has some cool dual-board residency programs (peds/PMR, FM/psych) that I may be interested in later on. That said, my idea of the specialty I may ultimately end up wanting to do changes a lot (as I'm sure it will in med school), but both these programs seem really cool (although they only take 1 and 4 students a year, respectively); given all this, would it be misguided to make a med school decision based on these residency factors?

Members don't see this ad.

Take the top 20 with full ride.

That puts you in a better position for residency regardless.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not as qualified to answer this question as only an admitted student myself, but the T20/full-ride is superior to whatever marginal chance going to Cinci would give you at these residencies. Your interests might change, as you pointed out, but also not having the financial burden is a huge benefit imo.

Reactions: 4 users
Take T20, use some of the extra money to treat yourself to something nice every now and then,

Agree with the other posters above, there is no practical difference in residency availability.

"That said, my idea of the specialty I may ultimately end up wanting to do changes a lot"

Then take the Top 20 full ride and don't worry about it at all.

The only time I'd advise considering the other option would be the NYU 3 year program.

Reactions: 1 user
My son thanks me nearly every time he sees me for paying for med school. He has many options and doesn't have to temper his choices by having to also factor crushing med school debt into the equation. Take the full ride. You can always apply to dual residencies, like FM/ER, and the ones you mentioned, when you are a 4th yr.

Reactions: 1 users
take the money and sleep easy. Specific residency programs at a med school will have almost zero effect on your med school experience. Every med school will have an ED, a psych rotation, and an FM rotation. You will have all the exposure you want to those specialties at any med school. You can worry about what specific programs you want as a 4th year.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the only thing to be aware of is that strong residency programs can mean more opportunity for mentorship/application guidance/LORs from people in the know for that specialty. That said, the ones you mentioned are SO specific that I think you'll be fine anywhere that has the usual core rotations - PMR is the only part of the ones you mentioned that isn't gonna be core at literally every school, but I'd bet that most T20 schools have the option of a PMR elective. Take the full ride.

Basically, I've been accepted to two medical schools: one T20 with full tuition scholarship and Cinci (with in-state tuition). I know it should be a simple decision, but Cinci has some cool dual-board residency programs (peds/PMR, FM/psych) that I may be interested in later on. That said, my idea of the specialty I may ultimately end up wanting to do changes a lot (as I'm sure it will in med school), but both these programs seem really cool (although they only take 1 and 4 students a year, respectively); given all this, would it be misguided to make a med school decision based on these residency factors?
Agree with everyone saying take the full-ride no questions.

I'll add that those particular dual-board programs are combo's of traditionally less competitive specialties, so I wouldn't expect them to be particularly competitive either. One more reason not to target Cinci in the hopes of matching those particular programs. If you're an overall average medical student you shouldn't have too much trouble getting into peds/PMR or FM/psych (for example).

As someone who advises med school applicants through the admissions process, since your specialty interests vacillate frequently, I would recommend you enroll in the T20 full ride program. It will provide you the opportunity to flush out your interests and build a network that will help you as you determine your residency path.

Free med school now. Cross that bridge later. There are so many things that change over the four years. In order to do Cinci instead you would have to be married to a city and a program. Those cool combo programs will exist and you will likely be competitive for them coming from a T20 school.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors