When colleges ask you "What are you going to do if you dont get accepted here"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tytestpharmD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the admissions committee looking for when they ask this question? I think its a really odd question, because obviously you cant say "well I'll go to my second choice" because that seems like you're not really interested in their school. Or you could say "I'm going to work on my app, and highering my stats, then reapply next year"

What are they looking for!?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe they would like to know how you handle disappointments? Do you take it as a learning opportunity? Do you wallow in your misery or do you take up the pieces to fight another day? Those are some angles you can look at when answering that question. Of course, this is just my take on it. Others, I'm sure, will have different opinions.

I answered it by what I would do to make myself a better candidate next year. I think they want you to show commitment to the field, and that you would still pursue pharm school in another year. Now I had the more general question of what if you don't get into pharm school this year, not what if you don't get into this pharm school. Just answer it truthfully, but I do think this question probably gets the same answer from everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
My answer would have been something to the effect of continuing my job as a pharmacy technician, taking some upper-level courses that aren't required as prerequisites by the school, and reapplying next cycle-- simply because that's my plan if I don't get in. I don't know precisely what they're looking for, but honesty is a part of it.

If 'honesty' includes accepting an invitation to another program, I don't see a reason not to mention it, as long as it's done in a tasteful way: "While I would very much love to attend XYZ Pharmacy School, I also want to keep moving toward my goal of becoming a pharmacist, and would accept my invitation to attend ABC Pharmacy School if my application here were to be turned down."

they asked me that question: what are you going to do if you don't get accepted?

answer: I value the importance of my education, and therefore, if I do not get accepted, I will continue with my schooling and finish my bachelors degree. I am confident with my educational background, gpa, and work experience, that a pharmacy program will pick me up whether it be this year or next year. If I don't get in this year, I will definitely use this experience as a learning experience towards fullfilling my academic goals.

At my USC interview, they asked "What would you do if you don't get accepted this year?"

I said, "Oh, I've already been accepted to Touro University."
My interviewer then asked, "Where is that at? I've never heard of it before." :laugh:

At my USC interview, they asked "What would you do if you don't get accepted this year?"

I said, "Oh, I've already been accepted to Touro University."
My interviewer then asked, "Where is that at? I've never heard of it before." :laugh:
Thats funny! Did you tell them where it was at or did the interview get all weird?

Thats funny! Did you tell them where it was at or did the interview get all weird?

Yeah, I told him that it was a new school in CA. The student interviewer knew though and just kind of chuckled.

The pharmacists where I volunteered at never heard of Touro either, so when I told them I got accepted there, they were like... :confused: :laugh:

i basically told them that I would strengthen my application and try again next year b/c they are my top school :)

This is what I responded to my two interviewers when they asked me that question during my interview at Nova.

Interviewer: "What would you do if you were not acccepted to this school?"

Me: "Well, I would look at my application and analyze my records, assess any weaknesses or flaws in them, make sure to correct them, and reapply the following year.

Interviewer: ::continues to jot down some notes and moves on to another question::

I got in, by the way. :cool:

never been asked this question.
how about this answer:
"if you don't accept me, it means you guys in admin are definitely blind, and I will go with my first choice:D ".

don't really have the balls to say that.:)