When did/do you tell your boss?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

packbacker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reading through another thread, I figured I'd pose this question to those of us who are currently working full-time in a non-dental field.

So when are you (or did you) tell your boss that you've been accepted and plan to attend school in August?

I'm planning to give about 6 weeks notice so that my manager can hire and train someone to fill my position. Honestly, if I worked at a smaller company I'd probably give more notice, but in my current situation (HUGE corporation), I would rather not risk being let go well in advance of attending school. Thoughts??

PB

Members don't see this ad.

packbacker said:
Reading through another thread, I figured I'd pose this question to those of us who are currently working full-time in a non-dental field.

So when are you (or did you) tell your boss that you've been accepted and plan to attend school in August?

I'm planning to give about 6 weeks notice so that my manager can hire and train someone to fill my position. Honestly, if I worked at a smaller company I'd probably give more notice, but in my current situation (HUGE corporation), I would rather not risk being let go well in advance of attending school. Thoughts??

PB

My Boss was great about it, I had discussed multple times how much I really wanted to go to Dental school in candid coversation. Again I work in academic laboratory, not anything corporation like. I think 6 weeks is more than enough! Be careful of who you tell is my advice. I told a fellow co-worker (who I thought would keep this hush,hush) and before I know it she blabbed to anyone and everyone including my boss. He later told me that he knew that I got into dental school well advanced.

HD

I'm going to be giving the old two week notice, which could come anytime between now and mid July.

I would give more of a notice so that I could help train another person (training takes about a month). I'm afraid that when I tell them I'm going to be leaving they'll just let me go. Really stinks that employers can do that when employees have to give a notice!

Members don't see this ad :)
i told my PI when he interviewed me for the job that i'd eventually be leaving for d-school (i'm a big fan of honesty haha). if our grant gets renewed, i'm hoping to stay on as a consultant during dental school so i can continue the research and earn a little extra scratch. not too sure if i'll have time though :rolleyes:

if you think the split might not be on good terms, i'd sit on it and just give 2 weeks...

I guess it really depends on your relationship with the company and what would be the least trouble for you.

I had worked at a small healthcare consulting company (20 employees) and probably would have given them more notice if management weren't such a bunch of a-holes. I had a couple coworkers before me that did great work at the company and when they decided to go back to school, they tried to be nice and give like 2 months notice. The owner didn't know how to deal with people leaving or something and would take it really personally. He made one of them leave after 3 weeks instead and the other they just treated like crap up until the last day.

So I ended up just giving the minimum 2 weeks notice, didn't even tell them my future plans. My direct supervisor was cordial about it, the division manager stopped talking to me and never said bye. The owner acted like I wasn't there anymore until the very last morning when he said something like "oh, so you're leavning?"

I'm planning on giving 2 (or 3, if i'm feeling generous) weeks of notice. I work for the government and there are constantly people in my office that quit or leave or get fired...so there's a high turnover rate. On the day I found out I was accepted to my top choice, I couldn't contain myself and had to tell one of my coworkers, and 2 other people (not in my department) overheard.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but after a couple of days...I went up to the people that I knew had found out, and I told them to please keep their mouths shut. I know that my boss would not hesitate to fire anyone, including me...since they are used to it anyway. It's a sucky job, but it pays OK...and it really sucks to pretend that you are going to be there forever.

I can't wait till this summer!!

I told my boss during my interview. He is a foreign M.D. just waiting to finish up his boards and he's on his way to bigger and better things as well, so I lucked out. He even gave me sick days the week up to and including the DAT and offerred a LOR. It's been nice not having to handle this process as a covert op, I can't imagine having to keep my mouth shut about it all day every day.

I actually had to tell my boss that I need to leave to take pre-reqs for dental school... I'm in a tech field and doing very well (just got a raise), so he was very surprised but very supportive and is allowing me the chance to go part-time while I take courses. Believe me, it was a very hard thing to say, but I'm sure most people realize everyone has different interests and need to explore them when given the chance. I know the pre-reqs are not going to be a walk in the park so I actually think the job will help balance it because I really enjoy the job I'm at now.

I'd say it's better to be completely sincere and note how the things you've learned at your job will also help in your dental career in some way.

packbacker said:

PB

I would give 2 week notice. Unless you are vested or have some sort of interest in that company it is not really your concern the filling of the position. People realize that a dentist makes in the top 5% income bracket and if you give to much notice you risk jealousy and resentment from many co workers and bosses who are not happy with their current life position and had aspirations to become a lawyer, doctor, dentist etc. Unless your field is in acadamia or something related to dentistry fly under the radar. I say this because I told my superiors about a couple of my interviews (once confronted) and my work situation afterwards became very unpleasant.

Packerbacker,

I don't have an answer to your question, but I am pretty sure I met you at the social the evening before your interview and I just wanted to say congrats! I know how badly you wanted this.

Thanks adamlc18! It certainly has taken a lot of hard work and perseverance to get here and I for one am completely excited to be heading in a new direction this fall! It still hasn't completely sunk in, though, considering I have a good 7 months of work left.

Others - Thanks for the input. I'll likely still give 4-6 weeks of notice so that I don't leave my manager in a bad situation. If they want to let me go on the spot, then more power to them. In the end, it'll just be to the detriment of their business.

PB

di1982 said:
I actually had to tell my boss that I need to leave to take pre-reqs for dental school... I'm in a tech field and doing very well (just got a raise), so he was very surprised but very supportive and is allowing me the chance to go part-time while I take courses. Believe me, it was a very hard thing to say, but I'm sure most people realize everyone has different interests and need to explore them when given the chance. I know the pre-reqs are not going to be a walk in the park so I actually think the job will help balance it because I really enjoy the job I'm at now.

I'd say it's better to be completely sincere and note how the things you've learned at your job will also help in your dental career in some way.
how do u afford to live on 1/2 a sal?

packbacker said:

PB
2 weeks -

its a gov IT job and they may say ok leave now.....
on the other habd they may lay me off before I even have the chance

I understand that feeling. I've been looking over my shoulder for the last 2-3 years while people around me have dropped like flies. It's great incentive for wanting to be your own boss!

sumozmom said:
2 weeks -

its a gov IT job and they may say ok leave now.....
on the other habd they may lay me off before I even have the chance

drdmddds said:
I would give 2 week notice. Unless you are vested or have some sort of interest in that company it is not really your concern the filling of the position. People realize that a dentist makes in the top 5% income bracket and if you give to much notice you risk jealousy and resentment from many co workers and bosses who are not happy with their current life position and had aspirations to become a lawyer, doctor, dentist etc. Unless your field is in acadamia or something related to dentistry fly under the radar. I say this because I told my superiors about a couple of my interviews (once confronted) and my work situation afterwards became very unpleasant.

this exact situation happened to me. I had a boss who wanted to go to med school and upon learning that i had been accepted to d-school I was let go for being late one day when many employees are late all of the time. Coincidence? i think not.

takingyearoff? said:
this exact situation happened to me. I had a boss who wanted to go to med school and upon learning that i had been accepted to d-school I was let go for being late one day when many employees are late all of the time. Coincidence? i think not.
i'm afraid of that since I need to work these next 2 yrs f/t and I need $ :0