1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

When did you apply to med schoo?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by r123, Jul 16, 2006.

1. r123

r123 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When is the earliest time to apply to all med school? When did you apply? Do you think students who don't have really good stats have good chance of getting in if they apply early?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr Durden

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    First week of June after the end of your junior year is generally the earliest you can apply. This is however dependent upon having taken the MCAT that same spring and gotten the majority of your prereqs completed. Getting your application in early that summer definitely helps snag an interview--especially at rolling admission schools--but I highly doubt it will overcome mediocre stats in the long run.

4. defrunner

defrunner I'm Greased Up
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I submitted my primary a couple of weeks ago so I'm no expert. However, this is what I've heard: generally, the earlier, the better, especially if you don't have outstanding stats as a whole. However, you can still get in if you have mediocre stats in certain areas, but you do have to make up for it in other areas. For instance, a high GPA can help balance out a lower MCAT, and a high MCAT can help balance out a lower GPA. Just focus on making your application as strong as possible (especially in the personal statement) and apply early. If you're pretty weak in a certain area, you do want to demonstrate what you've done to rectify it, as well (i.e. show improvement in grades as the years have gone by, enroll in post-bac or special master's programs, show your ability to do well on a section of the MCAT if you haven't done well in the corresponding class, etc).

Present yourself in the best light and apply broadly while being realistic with your choice of schools. If you have a 3.0 GPA and a 28 MCAT with normal LORs and ECs, it's unrealistic to only apply to top-25 schools. My goal, and it really is pretty much everyone else's, is to just get the interview and then get in someplace. Once you're in, you start off with a clean slate when it comes to residencies. Do your best, be diligent with the materials, interview well and pretty much just demonstrate why you can succeed in med school and add to the value of your incoming class. Good luck with everything.

5. cbr

cbr Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

x

#4 cbr, Jul 16, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  6. Dr Durden

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you go the traditional route, you take the MCAT, get your letters of rec in order, and cram in some last minute GPA inflation and extracurriculars junior year. You fill out the centralized online AMCAS application in the summer, fill out secondaries by fall, hit the interview trail through senior year, and hopefully come winter or spring, you're holding a few acceptances. If not, you sit on waitlists the summer directly after graduation, praying for an opening somewhere so you can enroll in classes that August. If not, you start round 2.

7. thinknofu3

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yup, that's exactly right. If you want to enter med school right after college, you will submit AMCAS the summer after your junior year and be interviewing in the fall/winter of your senior year. I did that, and it was pretty stressful, but it can definitely be done. However, if you decide you want to take a year off, you can apply in the summer following your senior year, and interview the following fall/winter for matriculation the following fall. You just have to decide which timeline works best for you.