When did you first decide you wanted to become a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When did you first decide you wanted to become a doctor?

• Total voters

Aishley

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For me, i feel as if i was in my mother's womb when i decided to become a doctor...its so great, isn't it?

and ohh...when i said graduating...i meant graduating from university...like you got your degree already and then you decided that you wanted to become a doctor..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've had the idea in my head ever since watching ER as a kid.

I decided I wanted to be a doctor during my senior year -- a bit later than most pre-meds.

hmm maybe freshman or sophomore year in HS, I was volunteering in the ER and decided that's what I wanted to do :tear:

Elementary school. Then Sophomore in college.

Late elementary school, again various times throughout high school, more so towards the end of HS, and fully committed by 1st year of undergrad

lol. in all seriousness I realized I wanted to be a Psychiatrist after being committed to a psychiatric hospital in high school (long story) and actually seeing first hand how bad some psychiatric disorders are.

lol. in all seriousness I realized I wanted to be a Psychiatrist after being committed to a psychiatric hospital in high school (long story) and actually seeing first hand how bad some psychiatric disorders are.

I went through something similar, except in middle school. Though I would never put it in a PS (obviously), that is what first sparked my desire to go into medicine.

how did OP'er become banned between yesterday and today i wonder?

Edit: ah, other posts are troll-y

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the hospital a lot during high school. Had some really awful doctors, and some really great ones. I decided I wanted to become a doctor so my pateints wouldn't have to deal with crappy doctors like I had to. Before I was in the hospital medical stuff totally creeped me out, but after going through what I did it grew on me.

Vacationing on a beach in south Texas at the age of 28, i decided I hated my engineering job and should've been tipped off when I decided I hated calculus back in undergrad. Shadowing and clinical volunteering confirmed it.

Reactions: 1 user
My mom is a nurse and growing up I always said I would never work in medicine because I didn't want to "follow in the footsteps of either of my parents." (I wanted to do something unique, even though I did admire my mom a great deal.) Plus, I was always HORRIBLE at math and science and excelled at English. However, when I was a sophomore in HS I starting working part-time at a hospital delivering food trays to patients and stocking unit fridges to make some money. Basically, I fell in love with it all. The rest is basically history.

I decided to pursue Psychiatry around my 1st year of college..:)

Last edited:
After I made my first kill.

After getting rejected by a hot girl, I decided to become a doctor and a chick slayer and sleep with all hot girls and leave them after I get bored.

:eek: you dick.

I don't see why I am a dick.

(1) I wanted them but they didn't want me, so we didn't sleep. There is a conflict of interest. (This may change if I tell them that I am a premed.)

(2) Once I become a doc, they want me, and i want them, so we sleep.

(3) But while doctoring, I don't want them as long as they want me, so the same conflict of interest rises, and we stop sleeping. :smuggrin:

Please respond

I don't see why I am a dick.

(1) I wanted them but they didn't want me, so we didn't sleep. There is a conflict of interest. (This may change if I tell them that I am a premed.)

(2) Once I become a doc, they want me, and i want them, so we sleep.

(3) But while doctoring, I don't want them as long as they want me, so the same conflict of interest rises, and we stop sleeping. :smuggrin:

Please respond
You have a problem.

You have a problem.

umm hey, it's a joke. Apologize if I made you guys feel upset. I thought I had made it obvious by writing "Please Respond."

I have a girlfriend and have been loyal to her for couple of years. :p

people, OP here, this thread was 'seriously' made to see when you guys decided to become doctor. stop going off-topic!

I love how "seriously" is in quotes. Troller Aishley is serious guys!! :laugh:

In other news, it is interesting how evenly distributed the responses are, I would have expected the data to skew towards the younger answers.

I love how "seriously" is in quotes. Troller Aishley is serious guys!! :laugh:

In other news, it is interesting how evenly distributed the responses are, I would have expected the data to skew towards the younger answers.
I expected that as well. I'm pretty surprised at the amount of people who decided to be doctors during their senior year, and even after graduation. It makes me feel less weird for deciding so 'late'. :)

I learnt how to spell "pediatrician" at 6 so I could write what I wanted to be when I grew up on school projects :D

When I first saw House. I aspire to be exactly like him in every way possible.

I even use a cane. Which I don't need.

I would say when I first started to read medical literature online. This was about when the internet was first coming out, before wikipedia and all you had was scattered articles hosted on random sites. I always had the personality of someone who had a large amount of empathy for others and a strong interest in diseases, behaviors, and whatever else a person at 5-11 years old could comprehend at the time.

When I was in high school my cousin- my two cousins are physicians- was in medical school. He once demonstrated to us all the structure of a body of a frog by disecting it. I didn't think that was my cup of tea. I also had problem remembering the names of all the bones, blood vessles, muscles, etc in highschool class in human anotomy. That was not my cup of tea either. I decided engineering and science is my calling.

Then what the hell am I diong?

My son- I hope he isn't lurking in here- has been recently accepted in an MD program. I am trying to learn how to communicate with him by engaging in here, and what kind of advice I should give him. I was lurking in here for a while. Then I thought it may be benificial to medical student to have a view of an outsider.

But don't get me wrong. I am not totally ignorant of medical field neither am I devoid of interest in the field. I have pretty good knowledge of gentics, and probably train myself as radiologits in couple of months. I once spent my vacation with my cousin mentioned above and spent most of the time reading medical books. In that sense I am life long student of medicine as a science. I am just a scientist: I am puzzled by such things as why among birds males have two X chromosomes while in animals it is females.

If you all want me to butt out I will.:love:

Last edited:
I was sick once my freshman year of college, and so my dorm-mate brought out her DVD binder and we had a weekend-long Grey's Anatomy binge. A dream was born.

my old roommate and me were both nursing majors.me being a nursing major because my cousin is one and my mom thought it would be a good idea for me to be one.(yeah,my MOM chose my major) i never considered being a doctor up until that point.i did enjoy docs and cops tv shows but other than that, nothing. I had no direction in college besides nursing so i became a pre-nursing major. I played WoW for 5 hours a day in high school and BSed my way to a 3.0 gpa. in high school nursing was the only goal i had to work towards. it wasnt my goal, but it was the only one i had on my plate.

my old roommate told me about her dreams 'bout helping starving/aids infested kids in nigeria and joining doctors without borders.before, i thought doctors were all supergeniuses with photographic memories who studied 12h a day.the thought of being near a book for 12h a day terrified me.i can do it now, but before hell no. i thought, well sista your grades are as bad as mine, maybe becoming a doctor wont be that hard.i switched my major. i started clinical volunteering/shadowing where i saw what doctors do and what doctors are really like.i love it now. it is something that i want to do, something that i get to choose.

When I figured out law was not as good of an investment.

The idea had been in my head early in high school. Then I tore my left posterior labrum my sophomore year and my right posterior labrum my junior, both due to football. So I underwent two surgeries and spent plenty of time in the doctor's office. Football was my passion for a very long time, and to see how my doctor repaired both of my shoulders so I could continue doing what I loved the most confirmed that I wanted to do the same for other athletes and other people some day.

Vacationing on a beach in south Texas at the age of 28, i decided I hated my engineering job and should've been tipped off when I decided I hated calculus back in undergrad. Shadowing and clinical volunteering confirmed it.
This thread is old, but your post is really interesting/encouraging. I know a few engineers (one in particular) who hate their jobs. I may rely the story :)