When did you first realize you wanted to become a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SundayT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd ask...:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

After spending about 200 hours volunteering at the PACU and the ER, that would be... end of sophmore year in college?

After spending about 200 hours volunteering at the PACU and the ER, that would be... end of sophmore year in college?

What made you decide to start volunteering?

Members don't see this ad :)
I first realized that I wanted to become a doctor around my sophomore year of high school (probably later than most of my peers).

I had just started working at a hospital and realized that I loved being there and helping people. The environment, the people I worked with, the patients, the fast pace....the everything was just awesome.

Never thought I'd end up in the medical profession...but now it seems like the most logical job for me.

SO glad I let my mom talk me into working there! :)

I decided I wanted to be a doctor after I had been teaching college for 3 years. I know it is a little late in life but better late than never.

Around the age of 23, after being married to someone who had a misdiagnosed mental illness.

After shadowing a cardiologist at a Children's hospital and volunteering in an ER-in freshman year of college. What made me decide to volunteer or shadow? *cue cliche for a PS*:rolleyes:After my younger brother almost died from a fatal genetic arrhythmia and was in Children's for several weeks during which he had a defibrillator implanted, I visited him a lot, of course, and realized I really liked/was interested in the hospital environment and wanted to know more about what the doctors do. I was in soph year of high school then. Until then my vision of medicine was pretty much of PCP's only. I had always been interested in medicine/science though, partly from listening to my mom who is a nurse.

When I turned 3.

What made you decide to start volunteering?

The reason I tell the admin: Because I wanted to explore what the field of medicine was like to see if it would peak my interests.

The real reason: There was this girl who wanted to volunteer too... (I'm dating her now)

But yeah, like many things in college, I went in with a different motive, but ended up learning something very valuable about myself.

LOL... I guess two good things came out of it. Good luck for this application cycle :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL... I guess two good things came out of it. Good luck for this application cycle :luck:

actually, I already got into UCSD, just that my white coat ceremony isn't until August, so I don't want to change my pre-med status yet ;)

Hanging out chatting with a patient during my senior year in college. I think it was March or April. I'm not entirely sure.

After discussing opportunities that combine science and law, and found out about Forensic Pathology. I've been fascinated by it since soph/junior year of high school.

Since always, but I dodged it because in some early high school volunteer work I noticed most of the docs were all burnt out, overloaded with paperwork, and apathetic toward the patients.

Since then, I've been a teacher at several levels and am now a therapist, and have found that in both careers, many of my colleagues are burnt out, overloaded, and apathetic to their students/patients.

I've learned that there is no softball career where the system works and everyone is satisfied. I'm probably in the closest thing to the ideal job already, but I know I don't quite belong, and the horrors and excitement of medicine have been calling me with their siren song for many years now. I look forward to being burnt out, overloaded with paperwork, and apathetic toward patients in a whole new way as an MD.

Well, I decided when I was a morula. You were slow on the uptake bud! ;)

Dangit! I had a feeling I was a little late when I looked around and all I saw was a gigantic blastocoel. Tell me- as a morula- what kind of clinical experience did you get?

Dangit! I had a feeling I was a little late when I looked around and all I saw was a gigantic blastocoel. Tell me- as a morula- what kind of clinical experience did you get?
Well, I cured four different types of cancer in my mother by manufacturing the enzymes to break them down in what would become my tear ducts. My tears could still cure any sort of cancer, but unfortunately, I never cry.

when my parents were screwing around....:cool:

actually, I already got into UCSD, just that my white coat ceremony isn't until August, so I don't want to change my pre-med status yet ;)

Well, congrats then! :thumbup: