when did you guys apply in order to get the first round of interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yahoogoogle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that you should apply as soon as you can for dental schools but i really need the summer to study DAT. i assume that the person who submits the application with DAT scores and recommendations on the first day when the application goes open doesn't have an edge over the one who does it on the second day. my question is that when is the cutoff date for first round of interviews with most schools? the cutoff date refers to the day that schools receive everything given that it takes 1 or 2 months for ADA to verify your GPA and forward your applications to your selected schools. correct me if i am wrong

Members don't see this ad.

If you submit EVERYTHING to AADSAS which is required to process the application and send it to the schools by July 31 I'd say you're good to go. To be safe, try to do it by July 10 or something early in the month. Make sure the 'extra' items such as LOR, DAT scores, and transcripts arrive when they should - transcripts should be timed to arrive with your AADSAS submission and LOR/DAT within a reasonable period of a couple weeks afterwards.

Anything in Aug and beyond, you will be pushing your luck slightly.

thanks for your reply. If the schools need to receive everything by junly 10, does that mean I have to submit my application sometime in may because it takes 1 to 2 months for ada to review, process and send it. and i saw someone mentions the time window to be 6 to 8 weeks. anyone has more info on the ada processing time?

also, how long does it take to get my official DAT score out to schools after I take the test? thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
i think some people SUBMITTED their aadsas later than that and still received a first round interview.

I submitted all of my stuff in July, but I didn't take the DAT until the end of August and I got 3 interviews. Your application can be complete with AADSAS without a DAT score, and they will send it off to your schools. The application isn't complete at the schools until they get your DAT scores. It usually takes 2 weeks for schools to get your DAT scores after you take it. So my applications were totally complete mid-Sept.

thanks for your reply. If the schools need to receive everything by junly 10, does that mean I have to submit my application sometime in may because it takes 1 to 2 months for ada to review, process and send it. and i saw someone mentions the time window to be 6 to 8 weeks. anyone has more info on the ada processing time?

also, how long does it take to get my official DAT score out to schools after I take the test? thanks in advance
No, submit it in July and you'll be fine. Schools will receive it somewhere in August or September and you'll be set. You could always submit your app in August and get 1st round interviews but honestly why chance it?

I submitted everything except DAT early. DAT was end of August. I got some interviews, but for some schools, that is simply too late. July is much better.

I e-submitted my application on may 24th...but that doesn't mean crap. Until AADSAS get's your transcripts, you don't really become a part of the cycle.

My transcripts arrived around June 14th, and were verified the next day. I didn't take the DAT until July 19th and it took about 2 weeks after that most schools to got my DAT scores and also recieved my application from AADSAS.

I think i was in the first round of interviews from most of the schools I got interviews for (early Oct. mostly). So, hope that helps...course, you don't get early interviews generally if your DAT scores or GPA are super low.

i would suggest submitting everything you can as early as possible. you should be able to get your transcripts sent in and all of your LOR's sent to aadsas to be sent out in the first round. then, as soon as you take the dat, make sure to 1) fax the score sheet to each school so they get it asap, 2) make sure your official scores are sent to each school, 3) record your scores on aadsas (you are allowed to only make changes to the LOR and DAT sections of your aadsas app.)

it takes aadsas so freakin' long to verify and send out everything. i submitted all my info. june 1st and had all of my transcripts and LOR's sent when i submitted my app. online and my app. wasn't mailed out until july 17th!!!

mid may (the first day addsas opened the new cycle)