when did you guys start shadowing/research/clinic duty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamyKid

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some reason it seems like everyone started super duper early, like I'm one of the last I know. In general, when did you guys start?

Members don't see this ad.

summer after frosh year in college i did research/shadowing for 1.5 months. then summer after soph year. wasn't until junior year that i kicked it into full force tho and did research during the year and the summer. this year i've done nada.

For some reason it seems like everyone started super duper early, like I'm one of the last I know. In general, when did you guys start?

light hospital volunteering (4 hours/ week) a month before i started college. started shadowing winter break freshmen year.

never too early to start :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical experience: When you were in about 6th grade probably.
Research/Publications: about two years ago; already have multiple publications
Shadowing: I haven't done any and don't plan on it.

Shadowing: Just started this past semester. So far I've had pretty good experiences.

Research: Started as lab assistant freshman year and started research sophomore year.

Volunteering: Started hospital volunteering middle of junior year.

Volunteering: Generic ER starting the summer after my freshman year.

Research: Second semester junior year.

I don't think timing matters at all. The quality can be questioned if you try to squeeze everything right before you apply.

Considering I just decided on pre-med just before Spring semester of my junior year I started clinical volunteering and shadowing then.:thumbdown:

I guess I should explain I decided on this late in the game to show my lack of involvement and lack of science courses???

I came back to school so I started clinical volunteering what would have been Fall of my junior year if I had gone straight through.

I started volunteering in the patient transport department at my university's med center a month into freshman year for 3-4 hours a week. I basically did it because I wasn't sure what else to do that was medically-involved at the time and because I didn't have any connections.

After sophomore year, I started doing research at the medical center. It was through the research that I found some shadowing opportunities in a variety of fields.