when did you guys start shadowing/research/clinic duty?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

DreamyKid

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Status (Visible)
For some reason it seems like everyone started super duper early, like I'm one of the last I know. In general, when did you guys start?

EBI831

legend in the making
10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2006
Chi-town royalty
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
summer after frosh year in college i did research/shadowing for 1.5 months. then summer after soph year. wasn't until junior year that i kicked it into full force tho and did research during the year and the summer. this year i've done nada.

bwonger06

10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
For some reason it seems like everyone started super duper early, like I'm one of the last I know. In general, when did you guys start?

light hospital volunteering (4 hours/ week) a month before i started college. started shadowing winter break freshmen year.

never too early to start :)

About the Ads

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Clinical experience: When you were in about 6th grade probably.
Research/Publications: about two years ago; already have multiple publications
Shadowing: I haven't done any and don't plan on it.

BigRedPremed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Shadowing: Just started this past semester. So far I've had pretty good experiences.

Research: Started as lab assistant freshman year and started research sophomore year.

Volunteering: Started hospital volunteering middle of junior year.

D

Dr. Josh

Considering I just decided on pre-med just before Spring semester of my junior year I started clinical volunteering and shadowing then.:thumbdown:

I guess I should explain I decided on this late in the game to show my lack of involvement and lack of science courses???

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I came back to school so I started clinical volunteering what would have been Fall of my junior year if I had gone straight through.

StritchMD2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I started volunteering in the patient transport department at my university's med center a month into freshman year for 3-4 hours a week. I basically did it because I wasn't sure what else to do that was medically-involved at the time and because I didn't have any connections.

After sophomore year, I started doing research at the medical center. It was through the research that I found some shadowing opportunities in a variety of fields.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.