when did you guys start shadowing/research/clinic duty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamyKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
For some reason it seems like everyone started super duper early, like I'm one of the last I know. In general, when did you guys start?

EBI831

legend in the making
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
summer after frosh year in college i did research/shadowing for 1.5 months. then summer after soph year. wasn't until junior year that i kicked it into full force tho and did research during the year and the summer. this year i've done nada.

bwonger06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some reason it seems like everyone started super duper early, like I'm one of the last I know. In general, when did you guys start?

light hospital volunteering (4 hours/ week) a month before i started college. started shadowing winter break freshmen year.

never too early to start :)

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Clinical experience: When you were in about 6th grade probably.
Research/Publications: about two years ago; already have multiple publications
Shadowing: I haven't done any and don't plan on it.

BigRedPremed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Shadowing: Just started this past semester. So far I've had pretty good experiences.

Research: Started as lab assistant freshman year and started research sophomore year.

Volunteering: Started hospital volunteering middle of junior year.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Volunteering: Generic ER starting the summer after my freshman year.

Research: Second semester junior year.

I don't think timing matters at all. The quality can be questioned if you try to squeeze everything right before you apply.

D

Dr. Josh

Considering I just decided on pre-med just before Spring semester of my junior year I started clinical volunteering and shadowing then.:thumbdown:

I guess I should explain I decided on this late in the game to show my lack of involvement and lack of science courses???

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came back to school so I started clinical volunteering what would have been Fall of my junior year if I had gone straight through.

StritchMD2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started volunteering in the patient transport department at my university's med center a month into freshman year for 3-4 hours a week. I basically did it because I wasn't sure what else to do that was medically-involved at the time and because I didn't have any connections.

After sophomore year, I started doing research at the medical center. It was through the research that I found some shadowing opportunities in a variety of fields.