When did you know/How did you get here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeTheGipper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering when all of you residents and attendings knew that you wanted to become radiologists? Anybody know before med school? Realize it during med school? Or during a residency that you realized wasn't for you? After practicing in a different specialty for a number of years? I'm interested in peoples personal journeys into radiology.

Members don't see this ad.

I knew I wanted to become a radiologist when I was a fourth year medical student. Very last minute. Almost went into general surgery but found radiology to be simply a very cool field with very happy people. Radiology is a diverse specialty with lots of different procedures, disease entities, and technologies--best of all it is constantly evolving. All medical specialties are evolving but radiology seems to be faster in many respects.

Being a techie also biased me towards radiology :)

no regrets ever since! It has been an amazing ride and great specialty to be part of.

I hated every rotation third year worse than the previous one. Like Peter from Office Space, each new day of third year was my worst day of my life.

I hated note writing, research, rounding, clinic, the OR, early mornings, late nights, weekends, and call.

Did Radiology my first rotation of 4th year and realized that it minimized or eliminated the above things I hated more than any other field. One of the best decisions of my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hated every rotation third year worse than the previous one. Like Peter from Office Space, each new day of third year was my worst day of my life.

I hated note writing, research, rounding, clinic, the OR, early mornings, late nights, weekends, and call.

Did Radiology my first rotation of 4th year and realized that it minimized or eliminated the above things I hated more than any other field. One of the best decisions of my life.

best answer ever

Hah sounded like my 3rd year. I basically eliminated specialties left and right after rotating through them. I finally came to the conclusion that clinical medicine for the most part was the problem. :laugh: Did rads early in my 4th year and this was what I was looking for. I applied late, but still managed 11 interviews and matched.

Out of curiosity, you guys don't miss the patient contact part? Or does it suit your personality to not see patients?

Out of curiosity, you guys don't miss the patient contact part? Or does it suit your personality to not see patients?

No, I see pts. on a regular basis when I do image guided procedures. If you are in IR you can even have your own clinic. But the nature of the interaction is different- it is short and sweet. You talk to them about the procedure, take a focussed history and answer their questions.

You don't get long term followup and you don't get to know patients well, but you don't have to deal all the other stuff either.

No, I see pts. on a regular basis when I do image guided procedures. If you are in IR you can even have your own clinic. But the nature of the interaction is different- it is short and sweet. You talk to them about the procedure, take a focussed history and answer their questions.

You don't get long term followup and you don't get to know patients well, but you don't have to deal all the other stuff either.

I see...but my question was more targeted towards the folks who don't do IR.

I see...but my question was more targeted towards the folks who don't do IR.

IR is not my specialty. Most general rads and subspecialty non-IR rads do image guided procedures. Image guided Bx, abscess drainage, barium studies, breast procedures, arthrograms, myelograms are all done by non-IR rads in most places.

So basically I talk to referring docs 4-5 times a day and patients 4-5 times a day. Interactions though are usually less than 5 minutes.

Sounds like an awesome specialty to me.
:thumbup:

IR is not my specialty. Most general rads and subspecialty non-IR rads do image guided procedures. Image guided Bx, abscess drainage, barium studies, breast procedures, arthrograms, myelograms are all done by non-IR rads in most places.

So basically I talk to referring docs 4-5 times a day and patients 4-5 times a day. Interactions though are usually less than 5 minutes.

Cool. I didn't know that general rads could do procedures and see pts. (even if for 5 minutes). So do you pretty much read images for a big part of the day and then do some procedures in between?

I am currently MS3 and thinking about rads or cardiology where you can see some patients, do some procedures, and do some imaging to keep things interesting day after day. Any other fields like it?

Cool. I didn't know that general rads could do procedures and see pts. (even if for 5 minutes). So do you pretty much read images for a big part of the day and then do some procedures in between?

I am currently MS3 and thinking about rads or cardiology where you can see some patients, do some procedures, and do some imaging to keep things interesting day after day. Any other fields like it?

GI is pretty popular for the reasons youve mentioned. Also, OB/GYN does some procedures and of course Urology. Im an MS3 as well and am guessing there are other fields out there as well, but I feel that Rads is great with respects to patient contact in that, as previously mentioned above, the encounter is very focused and you get to explain exactly what is going to happen-you also get to see, I would imagine, short term satisfaction from the patient after certain procedures (i.e thoracentesis) whereas in other fields, you would be more concerned with managing there ailments.

Members don't see this ad :)
When it was time to pick an area for my PhD I was sick of the typical cook-book style molecular assays and blots I had been doing for years. When I met my graduate advisor in Radiology he was very charismatic and assured me I could do a PhD in Biophysics even though I'm not from a physics or engineering undergrad. I loved the technical aspects of Radiology and my exposure to the clinical side has only made me certain I'll be applying in Radiology. I've always been a computer guy, so for me in a way it's a good merging of my background and my current interests in medicine.

I never went into medicine for the patient care myself. I went into it for the science and the challenges of combating disease from a scientific and translational perspective. I used to think I wanted to be a surgeon, but the lifestyle challenges seem to great to lead a balanched life with research and/or family involved.

I post because I want those reading to think that many (if not most?) Radiologists choose Radiology for reasons other than "I hated every other specialty" or "I hated dealing with patients."

I never went into medicine for the patient care myself. I went into it for the science and the challenges of combating disease from a scientific and translational perspective. I used to think I wanted to be a surgeon, but the lifestyle challenges seem to great to lead a balanched life with research and/or family involved.

I post because I want those reading to think that many (if not most?) Radiologists choose Radiology for reasons other than "I hated every other specialty" or "I hated dealing with patients."

I know you are trying to sound different or give what you think is a different perspective, but first you say "I never went into medicine for the patient care myself." and then you say "I used to think I wanted to be a surgeon, but the lifestyle challenges seem to great to lead a balanched life with research and/or family involved."

No offense but you come off being very stereotypical if anything.

Most rads I know do not hate patients, it's really how clinical care is set up that is the problem. If you do IM or primary care you actually end up dealing with so many other issues not directly related to pt. care that is the problem. Most rads actually like radiology too (there are some that don't, but that is true in every specialty isn't it?)

No offense but you come off being very stereotypical if anything.

Good to know I fit in then :p

No offense back, but I think you ignored the bulk of my post. Mainly those parts about Radiology being a good fit for my computer background and my research interests. The lifestyle concern is more one about how to balance research with medicine, which doesn't seem very stereotypical.

I threw in the patient care comment in response to gluon. It's not that I dislike patient care at all. My parents have severe chronic illnesses so I've been dealing with patient care issues my entire life. My goal has always been to fight those illnesses from the benchtop. Radiology has an important role in that.

Good to know I fit in then :p

No offense back, but I think you ignored the bulk of my post. Mainly those parts about Radiology being a good fit for my computer background and my research interests. The lifestyle concern is more one about how to balance research with medicine, which doesn't seem very stereotypical.

I threw in the patient care comment in response to gluon. It's not that I dislike patient care at all. My parents have severe chronic illnesses so I've been dealing with patient care issues my entire life. My goal has always been to fight those illnesses from the benchtop. Radiology has an important role in that.

Having interviewed many resident applicants I can tell you that more than 50% say they have an interest in computers and technology. There are tons of engineering majors, computer science and just general technogeeks that go into radiology. In fact the whole combining patient care with technology schtick given in interviews is so common, I would say it is bordering on cliche.

The research angle is very common at academic programs maybe not so much at community programs.

So yeah you basically fit in:laugh:

Wanna know what "keeps things interesting day after day"?

A fat bank roll and time off. Period. End of story.

If you think after 5 years or so after practicing some god-forsaken clinical specialty you're still gonna come home with warm and fuzzies after a day's work you are sorely mistaken. Go for the jugular --> maximize your income and time off.

Rads, anesthesia, derm. Peace out.

He's alive!!! The legend lives.

If you think after 5 years or so after practicing some god-forsaken clinical specialty you're still gonna come home with warm and fuzzies after a day's work you are sorely mistaken. Go for the jugular --> maximize your income and time off.

Is that the infamous Dr. Cuts?

Are you an attending now? How is the rads life?

Having interviewed many resident applicants I can tell you that more than 50% say they have an interest in computers and technology. There are tons of engineering majors, computer science and just general technogeeks that go into radiology. In fact the whole combining patient care with technology schtick given in interviews is so common, I would say it is bordering on cliche.

:confused:

I don't mean to offend you, but aren't you being too hasty in labeling Neuronix as a cliche or a stereotype? Sure, lots of applicants say that they "have an interest in computers and technology" - what else are they going to say? "I didn't really like any of my rotations," "I'd like to have a good lifestyle and make some money," etc. are not going to fly at a residency interview.

But, when that response comes from someone who, like Neuronix, earned a PhD doing radiology-related research, can actually discuss the physics behind an MRI scanner, and has more computer/tech experience than most med students that I have seen, doesn't that merit more than a dismissive "you're such a cliche!"? :oops:

:confused:

I don't mean to offend you, but aren't you being too hasty in labeling Neuronix as a cliche or a stereotype? Sure, lots of applicants say that they "have an interest in computers and technology" - what else are they going to say? "I didn't really like any of my rotations," "I'd like to have a good lifestyle and make some money," etc. are not going to fly at a residency interview.

But, when that response comes from someone who, like Neuronix, earned a PhD doing radiology-related research, can actually discuss the physics behind an MRI scanner, and has more computer/tech experience than most med students that I have seen, doesn't that merit more than a dismissive "you're such a cliche!"? :oops:

I didn't say he was a cliche, I said the whole combining technology/ computers with patient care angle is a very common reason given for going into radiology. I am not dismissing him at all. All I was saying that his reasons for going into radiology are far from unique and are in fact very common reasons given during interviews. There is nothing inherently wrong with this since radiology tends to attract a certain kind of person. He is trying to make it sound like he is very different from other radiology applicants when he really isn't. A PhD definitely will stand out and lend more credibility to his interest in academic radiology and research.

BTW if you are going to put something in quotes and attribute it to me at least quote something I actually said. Do not change the words and the meaning and then put it in quotes. :thumbdown:

No more discussion necessary--Apache just wrote my ERAS statement for me.

I didn't say he was a cliche, I said the whole combining technology/ computers with patient care angle is a very common reason given for going into radiology. I am not dismissing him at all. All I was saying that his reasons for going into radiology are far from unique and are in fact very common reasons given during interviews. There is nothing inherently wrong with this since radiology tends to attract a certain kind of person. He is trying to make it sound like he is very different from other radiology applicants when he really isn't. A PhD definitely will stand out and lend more credibility to his interest in academic radiology and research.

BTW if you are going to put something in quotes and attribute it to me at least quote something I actually said. Do not change the words and the meaning and then put it in quotes. :thumbdown:

why does everyone have to have something unique to say? some of this stuff is truly why i like radiology. there can only be so many reasons for liking radiology... just because something is said a lot, does not make it less true.

Do you know anyone that left radiology?? and why?

Could someone help me understand how having a background in Comp Sci, Engineering, or IT could help a radiologist? My understanding is that a radiologist simply reads radiographs from a piece of software manufactured by some corporation. It may be nice to work with a piece of sophisticated software, but having no way to modify it via an add-on or make it more efficient takes away from the glamor that a lot of individuals with technology backgrounds enjoy.

Thanks.

Could someone help me understand how having a background in Comp Sci, Engineering, or IT could help a radiologist?

If you do any type of research in Radiology, it can help a TON. If you have an academic career and/or do Radiology research during your time in or getting to Radiology this can be a big advantage.

But, that's as far as my knowledge goes :)

Could someone help me understand how having a background in Comp Sci, Engineering, or IT could help a radiologist? My understanding is that a radiologist simply reads radiographs from a piece of software manufactured by some corporation. It may be nice to work with a piece of sophisticated software, but having no way to modify it via an add-on or make it more efficient takes away from the glamor that a lot of individuals with technology backgrounds enjoy.
Thanks.

Its not about tinkering with someone else's PACS software code, but more about what hardware and software you can develop to further the field. Most of the interesting radiology research, in my opinion, is hardware development and image processing. Its a natural fit for CS/Engineering types. This is assuming you want to go the academic route. If you're just looking to become a good diagnostic radiologist, I agree that such a background doesn't do much for you. But in that case, the limitation is not your background but your viewpoint.

A better way to look at it may be to try and think of another specialty where CS/Engineering types would be better suited. Anyone? :confused:

I've heard of some of that type being interested in surgery (Make cool lap/robot devices), but radiology wins hand down.

As for myself? Another stereotypical: Did well in medical school, found out I didn't enjoy all the warts of clinical medicine, radiology is a great field that plays to my strength and compensates me well for it.

I think a lot of radiologists fall into the "Smart guy, doesn't miss patient contact, works hard but doesn't want medicine to consume his life" stereotype. I think that's why our personal statements are all boring. I swear all the guys applying with me have basically exactly the same personal statement when we answer "Why radiology?"

Thanks.

To echo what's been said a few times, it helps a LOT if you do research. I'm an M2 and have been working on some projects here and there for a Radiology lab at my school's Large Academic Medical Center, and pretty much everyone in the lab(PhDs and grad students) have extensive CompSci background- even the main MD involved. One of the other med students that worked here could write his own code here and there, and was very well-liked.

I don't have much of any CompSci background, so I just have to try to catch on as well as I can and keep my own work as clinically and physiologically relevant as possible. Reconstruction kernels, DICOM, database management, on and on and on and on! Just let me look at the pictures!:laugh:

What kind of hours do Rads residents work at your programs?

I have a simple question for all of the radiology residents out there..and the attendings

Residents:
what did you answer when you were asked the ever recurring question ' WHY RADIOLOGY?' during your interview...

Attendings:
what answer impressed you the most.. which question was most unique in a positive way..

extra question: what was the wackiest question you got during a rad interview

THANKS all!!

I have a simple question for all of the radiology residents out there..and the attendings

Residents:
what did you answer when you were asked the ever recurring question ' WHY RADIOLOGY?' during your interview...

Attendings:
what answer impressed you the most.. which question was most unique in a positive way..

THANKS all!!
Please don't be a tool. Don't use someone else's stereotyped answer to explain why you want to go into radiology. Be genuine and describe your true reasons for wanting to pursue a career and it will be the most impressive answer YOU can give.

I've heard of some of that type being interested in surgery (Make cool lap/robot devices), but radiology wins hand down.

Surely other fields fit the bill for techni-nclined medicos, such as rad onc, as well as specialised areas like cards (Electrophysiology), Neuro and neurosurg (where do I begin...). Why do you say rads wins hands-down?

I'm a huge technogeek (as you probs inferred)- for example, I don't remember the last PC I've had that I didn't build. But I think I really enjoy patient contact as well. That's why Rad Onc and Neurosurgery are really big options in my eyes. It helps that I loved the hell outta neuro as well :p

Please don't be a tool. Don't use someone else's stereotyped answer to explain why you want to go into radiology. Be genuine and describe your true reasons for wanting to pursue a career and it will be the most impressive answer YOU can give.

To be honest is something i could not do in an interview...my true answer as been well described above. Could anyone help us stand out with an answer for the question why radiology please? i dont really fancy coming out i like anatomy n a bit of comps n a bit of physics n a bit of..i dont know!

I seemed to be drawn towards radiology because it is the most efficient field in medicine that deals with diagnosing pathology critical to the care of patients. You are making a huge contribution to the medical care as a behind the scenes consultant. It is a rapid evolving field and one needs a huge knowledge base to be successful. I was original drawn to medicine because it suited my intellectual interests and curiosity. Being able to apply my knowledge to diagnosis is the best part of medicine and that is what radiologist do all the time.

Pathology has many of these characteristics but the range of fellowship options in radiology is much better. And imaging technology is much cooler then faster dna technology and the like. If path paid the same as radiology it would be much more competative but I would probably still perfer radiology.
That and IR is just begining and appears amazing.

Residents:

Attendings:

THANKS all!!

Bump