when did you know you wanted to be a vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was 18 when I decided I wanted to be a vet.

In high school, I wanted to be a marine biologist but really didn't have any clue what I was getting myself into. In grade 11, the guidance counsellors gave a presentation on career paths. They gave us this website that describes jobs (day in the life, education you need, related careers, ect) and it also included a test that suggests jobs you might be interrested in.

I looked up marine biologist... wasn't interrested... so I took the test. Animal breeder came up #1, lol. Vet was #4. I looked at the vet page, pondered over whether or not I could operate on an animal, and then clicked on vet tech which was under related careers. After doing some research, I decided that vet tech sounds like a cool job!

I mentioned this to somebody... can't remember who... but they recommend that I volunteer at a vet clinic to make sure it was what I wanted to do. In the spring, I passed out resumes everywhere and nobody was interrested. I began volunteering at the local animal shelter.

Fall of my grade 12 year, a clinic decided to take me on as a volunteer. I realized that diagnosing and treating animals was actually pretty cool. I did some job-shadowing with the vets, talked to everyone in the clinic and everyone I knew before deciding to go for being a vet over being a vet tech.

By this time, I had already applied for a very competative vet tech program. I figured out the odds... I had a slim chance of getting in (over 100 applicants, 24 slots, 3 in the previous year attended right after high school, the rest have been out of school for a few years). I decided to go ahead with the interview. I thought back to when I had really wanted to be a vet tech and used that in my interview. Guess what... I got accepted! One of the happiest days of my life. I decided that if I could get accepted into that program... then I might as well go for it and try to get into vet school.

That's basically it.

Members don't see this ad.