1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

When did you people first started studying for MCAT??

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Punisherx, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Punisherx

Non-Student
    Hi, I'm a college student interested in applying to medical school. I was wondering when I should start studying MCAT...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mdvargas

mdvargas Crystal ball reader
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    IMO, 3 months before the test date should be minimum.

4. Genesis12

Genesis12 New Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    tested in April, so I started as soon as first semester of junior year ended (early december), did the kaplan big book once-over and a few kaplan tests by the end of break (mid-January), reviewed the material throughout the semester for a few hours a week until mid-march (spring break), and from there went through 8 of the AAMC practice tests (one every few days) and reviewed topics from the questions that i missed from said practice tests until the day of the test. this seemed to work moderately well, although i wish i would have given myself a few more months to study.

based on what many posters have said, I would actually recommend taking a summer to do some hardcore review and then taking it in august after your sophomore year. trying to study for the mcats really puts a damper on your semester when you have to juggle classes as well. in any case, best of luck to you!

5. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think it just depends on how much time you can consistently devote during your "study period". I took the first test offered in the year (Jan 27) so I had the whole Christmas break plus the first few non-hectic weeks of school to completely devote. I only studied for about two months and I thought I covered the subjects pretty exhaustively.

A couple other people at my school with MCAT test dates in May are finding themselves trying to cram MCAT studying into regular tests/finals studying and totally stressing out.

6. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I started 4.5 months ahead. I studied 5-6 days a week, about 3-4 hours a day on average - I'm lucky cuz I have a slacker job, so I can study there...in fact, I studied 1.5 orgo chapters there today, lol.

7. SpartanBlueJay2

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm taking the MCAT May 31. I started studying in January. I did all the ExamKrackers books (except their physics book b/c it's not that great), then about 5 weeks later I started the Kaplan course mainly just to keep me on task.