When did you submit your primary/when do you plan to submit it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laurenxxxx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone talks about the importance of applying early. But what is early? June? July? Before September? I just submitted my primary today so I'm curious.

Added to that, what is the ideal time period to have everything (primary, secondary, and MCAT) in?

Members don't see this ad.

Early submission is in June. Schools start sending out interviews in August, so being done by the end of July is a good goal. That said, being done in early-mid August is by no means an app killer. When your completion date rolls into the Fall is when you have to start worrying. By mid-September, interview slots through October are often filled up so you want to be in someone's pile long before then.

I submitted it like a minute after applications opened on june 3rd. Less to worry about.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted early September last cycle and I think that it really hurt my chances. AMCAS had processing delays which meant it didn't get validated for quite some time. Medical schools only send out secondaries after your application has been validated. So here is my advice:

1) Get your transcripts in ASAP - AMCAS will NOT review until they are in.
2) The earlier the submission, the better - med school admissions are done on a rolling basis (generally)
3) Once you submit your primary, prepare responses for your secondary applications. I applied to 15 schools and received 15 secondaries. You should expect the same (GPA 3.7, MCAT 31)
4) Letter writers, at least in my experience, like to wait and wait and wait till the last minute to send in. Give them a deadline before you absolutely need it done.

Good luck.

4) Letter writers, at least in my experience, like to wait and wait and wait till the last minute to send in. Give them a deadline before you absolutely need it done.
I'd like to add to/alter your statement if I may...

Decide when your hard deadline actually is and tell your LOR writers that you need it 1-2 weeks before that, not telling them there's wiggle room. I decided to do that, and it was a great idea. 4/6 got it in on time. One was four days late. The other was 10 days late. But it affected nothing because I had that secret buffer.

I submitted June 11. Last year I submitted June 28, the two previous years I submitted the day they opened.

I wasn't complete until the end of October last year, and I think it really hurt me. I submitted on June 5th this year. My committee letter won't be in until the middle to end of July though.

I plan to apply the first day that it's available for submission next year. I definitely want to be in there as early as possible.

I submitted 4 hours after AMCAS opened and I was verified 6 days later. I think as long as you submit by mid June, you will be considered early.

I'd like to add to/alter your statement if I may...

Decide when your hard deadline actually is and tell your LOR writers that you need it 1-2 weeks before that, not telling them there's wiggle room. I decided to do that, and it was a great idea. 4/6 got it in on time. One was four days late. The other was 10 days late. But it affected nothing because I had that secret buffer.

I asked my letter writers during the first week of spring semester (end of January) and told them May 1st was their deadline. That way the committee chair had time to get those letters and write hers after, and the deadline was before finals week crunch. Worked out well, they all finished it on time! And a few of them mentioned how early I was in asking, which was a good thing because they said they would complete mine before any other student's.

Is submitting mid-July still considered early? Won't be verified by mid August probably (GPA 3.5 MCAT 28). When is a good time for me to submit?

Is submitting mid-July still considered early? Won't be verified by mid August probably (GPA 3.5 MCAT 28). When is a good time for me to submit?

Not particularly early, but not late either. If you pre-write secondaries and be complete at time of verification in mid-August, you'll be in good shape.

Submit as soon as possible. Earlier is always better.