RapidReview

PGY-4
7+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I've been doing 25-50 qs a day since mid-February (~1200 Rx, ~300 kaplan) and my scores still seem to fluctuate quite a bit (+/- 10 average points). I'm wondering when everyone else's scores started to stabilize and even out. I graph all my kaplan percentages and it's so erratic. I haven't started my dedicated board prep so I'm not "too" concerned, just really curious. Thanks all.

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've been having same problem. Averaging mostly in the 70's for UW but occasionally getting the 50-60 slump and the 80% boosters. I think it really depends on what questions you get. I usually only do groups of 24 so with 7 questions on topics I'm shakey on, I'm already dipping out of the 70's. I don't think you should be too concerned. Identify the problem (for me anatomy, ethics, and biochem) and work to solve it.

RapidReview

PGY-4
7+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I've been having same problem. Averaging mostly in the 70's for UW but occasionally getting the 50-60 slump and the 80% boosters. I think it really depends on what questions you get. I usually only do groups of 24 so with 7 questions on topics I'm shakey on, I'm already dipping out of the 70's. I don't think you should be too concerned. Identify the problem (for me anatomy, ethics, and biochem) and work to solve it.
70% - that's awesome man! I'm at 56% for Kaplan right now, a few dips down to 45%, few high 60s.

Man, you're gonna kill that test!

rem6775

7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think it all depends. I guess I'm not in official "Step 1 only" study mode as classes are ongoing, but even when I started two months ago my percentages were pretty steady on Kaplan. I think some variation is inevitable, but mine stay pretty close to 81-82% with some upper 70s and some lower 90s based on the difficulty of the random set. But I wouldn't worry until you get closer to the exam. It will only settle down more and more the closer you get.

username456789

7+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Mine keep fluctuating between 100% and 130% (you get extra points if you can identify spelling errors in the explanations). It's extremely frustrating.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I haven't really finished my first pass yet, but I've noticed that my first question battery on a subject usually hits somewhere in the high 40's to mid 50's, while the second one is around 70%. I guess I'm just dense and need the info beaten into me once before doing decently. :p

wAyRadikull

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Your score will fluctuate til you get through all the material. Initially, along with FA, I did 48 q's following each section. My scores were in the 50-60 range through out with a few 45s sprinkled in there. It was very evident what I need to work on haha. But once I finished FA and started doing random blocks, scores evened out a bit around the 65 region, but I'm still on an overall low because of the few 45s.

Try and concentrate on the big picture, which is, learning the material. Note how they ask they ask the questions, what presentation do they give etc. That I think is more key. Anytime you feel that you're confused where you're at, take an NBME and you should get your answer.

username456789

7+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
On a serious note, I've noticed that at least with Kaplan QBank, I often gloss over a detail or two in the stem that's quite important. Not that I'll probably have time for it on the real thing, but now sometimes I'll quickly jot down all the pertinent positives/negatives in the question stem/patient's history, to be sure I've got a clear picture of what's going on.

But, more often than not lately the questions I get wrong are the ones where I know exactly what disorder they're describing, but I don't remember which minute detail of no significance is the correct minute detail of no significance when looking at the answer choices.

Elixir86

10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
But, more often than not lately the questions I get wrong are the ones where I know exactly what disorder they're describing, but I don't remember which minute detail of no significance is the correct minute detail of no significance when looking at the answer choices.
Precisely! Then, I'm able to narrow my answer choices down to 2, and I often end up choosing the wrong one. And of course, the other choice ends up being correct. Sigh...