When did your SDN usage increase the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIAYO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always lurked SDN my first two years of pre-med. But, during my application year (this year) my usage of SDN has essentially skyrocketed. The waiting around bugs me, and I find it comforting to know that others are in the same boat.

When did your usage of SDN increase?

Do you also find SDN comforting?

Members don't see this ad.

For me, it's during breaks (thanksgiving, Christmas, summer, etc. ). SDN isn't necessarily a source of comfort, but rather a way to make sure I am going to be as prepared as possible when application season rolls around.

Prior to/early stages of the application cycle...then it dwindles as time proceeds.

Same, but mine increased over this winter break because I wanted to see if I could offer some advice to those who are applying or have applied this year like me.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I decided I wanted to be a doctor...so last August.

Lurking since 2009, Post-Interview invite and acceptance is when I actively started posting. Tried to do more since I I felt that I have more to contribute since I have gone through a successful application.

when i felt the need to check school specific threads everyday to see if interview invites were being given out

When? Before applying, during applying and after applying.

Generally late nights, after test days, and breaks. Haven't applied yet, but when I do SDN will probably be like a part-time job haha

Members don't see this ad :)
During exam period...as a form of procrastination. Honestly though, it kind of just makes me more stressed haha

I added during the application cycle. I started by lurking hardcore then joined. I probably went through the entire school thread for all the schools I applied to before deciding to join. Lazy, I guess.

I don't actually use it as a procrastination thing, which is weird, cuz that's how I treat most things like this (fbook anyone?). I may have used the school specific threads as procrastination though.

During the current application season. I lurked sporadically for years prior to registering, however.

I started using in the school specific threads when I started secondaries. My usage exploded this admissions cycle during break because, I've been bored to death and totally take comfort in the fact that I am not the only one applying and waiting. And waiting. And waiting. Can't wait for the semester to start Monday, at which point, insanity resumes.

I've been following since I decided to become a physician in late 2009. I finally joined to start posting answers in the MCAT Q+A forum. I think it helped with my studying. So I would say my most intense usage was the 6 months or so prior to my MCAT.

And yeah I seem to be sticking around in there to 'pay it forward'. Either that or old habits die hard.

Been lurking on here for a while, but decided to make an account last month and become a more active member. So.. pre-amcas?

Didn't hear about SDN until fourth year of undergrad. Lurked during application cycle and began posting after accepted. I like to give advice to pre-meds regarding the application cycle so my usage is the highest it has been now that I'm in med school(but still not very high....med school gets in the way). Hopefully my advice helps some poor soul in the application cycle on here.

In increasing order: Studying for MCAT, Applying, killing time during this boring gap year.

All the time... I need to get sick of this site so that it stops distracting me...

this application cylce and it makes me sad

Lurking since 2009, Post-Interview invite and acceptance is when I actively started posting. Tried to do more since I I felt that I have more to contribute since I have gone through a successful application.

Yeah, I'm with this. After an interview and before I hear about acceptance/waitlist/rejection is when I most use SDN.

before exams

Just lurking around for now and read stuff that might be helpful in the future and then I saw the thread about SDN chat so I went there last night and got chatting with a few awesome SDN users. Once the semester start which is going to be next week, I'll probably lurk and do a quick post once in a while. I find SDN a bit comforting and helps me motivate myself a lot more.

Seems like MCAT and application cycle are two common triggers. Makes sense. Let's hear
More!

A bunch of people have been saying that their usage increases during breaks, but SDN is such a ghost town on the weekend and around holidays.

A bunch of people have been saying that their usage increases during breaks, but SDN is such a ghost town on the weekend and around holidays.

Maybe during the weekends and holidays other forms of procrastination are available lol. :)