When do applicants who applied later in the cycle usually start hearing from programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IceDuchess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

On average, when do applicants who were complete in Sept start receiving emails from programs? I applied to 26 programs (was complete at most of them in Sept) and only heard back from one school so far. Last year, I was complete in August and already had multiple emails from schools by now. I realize that each school is different and it takes a lot of time to evaluate each application, especially when it comes from an applicant who applied later in the cycle. I am just curious to know when I should expect to start hearing from most of the medical schools. :)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

On average, when do applicants who were complete in Sept start receiving emails from programs? I applied to 26 programs (was complete at most of them in Sept) and only heard back from one school so far. Last year, I was complete in August and already had multiple emails from schools by now. I realize that each school is different and it takes a lot of time to evaluate each application, especially when it comes from an applicant who applied later in the cycle. I am just curious to know when I should expect to start hearing from most of the medical schools. :)

Thank you!

Out of curiosity, is your plan to be compete in October next year?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it really differs based on the school and your application. I was complete between 8/21 - 9/4 at most schools and have heard back from 5 so far.

It's an unsatisfying answer but I think it does vary on the school and how you stand in comparison. I had a lot of things going on and was complete from mid-September to very early October (CASPER). I actually received results for the schools I was complete for in October first. 1 II/1 small pool/2 Rs from places that I suspect met their Canadian quote or for whom I was a poor match (wanted more service). These were "lower ranked" programs; I haven't heard anything from the higher ranked ones yet. I don't feel that I am the strongest of MD/PhD applicants when I see how some of my fellow applicants have multiple publications, US citizenship etc., but those that have had great apps seem to hear back quickly.

I really feel you on the worry but all we can do is stay optimistic :)

Reactions: 1 user
It's an unsatisfying answer but I think it does vary on the school and how you stand in comparison. I had a lot of things going on and was complete from mid-September to very early October (CASPER). I actually received results for the schools I was complete for in October first. 1 II/1 small pool/2 Rs from places that I suspect met their Canadian quote or for whom I was a poor match (wanted more service). These were "lower ranked" programs; I haven't heard anything from the higher ranked ones yet. I don't feel that I am the strongest of MD/PhD applicants when I see how some of my fellow applicants have multiple publications, US citizenship etc., but those that have had great apps seem to hear back quickly.

I really feel you on the worry but all we can do is stay optimistic :)

Thanks for your answer! Hoping to hear back soon too. That's great that you already got a few responses. I just find it so odd that so far its only been 1 school. Oh well, I'll just keep waiting and see what happens. Good luck!

You applied very late. There very well could be a next year, and if there is you need to apply June 1.

Last year I applied in June to most schools. I only put off a couple of secondaries until close to the final deadline. The only interview I received came from a program that I applied to exactly on its deadline. Even though I applied much later this year, the one school that got back to me so far has already invited me to an interview. This just shows how this process is so unpredictable. While yes, it's generally a good idea to apply early, it is also very much possible to interview with a late application. There really isn't a "need" to apply as early as June 1.

Be aware that some schools do not send emails notifying you of anything. They will expect you regularly check the applicant portal. I advise that applicants check it daily until they complete and then at least 2-3 times weekly thereafter. You own your application and it is up to you to keep on top of it.

Also be aware that many schools will keep you in active review essentially forever. They will neither invite you for II or send rejection. Many applicants will not receive a rejection notice

Thank you for the info! I didn't realize that. Last year I received emails from all of the programs that I applied to. I still checked the portals every so often, but the schools seemed to be good about getting back to me via email with any updates. I'll check more often this cycle. :)

Last year I applied in June to most schools. I only put off a couple of secondaries until close to the final deadline. The only interview I received came from a program that I applied to exactly on its deadline. Even though I applied much later this year, the one school that got back to me so far has already invited me to an interview. This just shows how this process is so unpredictable. While yes, it's generally a good idea to apply early, it is also very much possible to interview with a late application. There really isn't a "need" to apply as early as June 1.

I'm not sure you are in the position to be saying that, seeing as you did not have a successful cycle. Waiting to apply in September as a re-applicant was not smart.

Reactions: 1 users
I think your question has been thoroughly answered now, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck ! Sending good vibes

Thanks for your answer! Hoping to hear back soon too. That's great that you already got a few responses. I just find it so odd that so far its only been 1 school. Oh well, I'll just keep waiting and see what happens. Good luck!
Hm well the MD/PhD review cycle is supposedly 2-6 weeks long, i.e. shorter than MD, since there are far fewer apps, but if you are a great applicant, I think you will get some more MD IIs. People say that at least 1 II before Thanksgiving is necessary and you have checked that box. I really hope it works out for us and anyone else in this situation - I think it's sometimes easy for people who are well established in well paying careers to just say, "oh, take another gap year and apply on the first day," but I find that things are often more complicated than that.

I just want to say that you very much to everyone who replied to my question! For those of you who are also waiting to hear back, good luck!