When do I affix PhD to my name?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcceptingUncertainty

Reaction score
This may seem obvious to some but I was wondering when I'd be able to affix PhD to my name. Context: PhD student, defended my dissertation, completing my internship now.

Members don't see this ad.

I have always been told it is ok to update one's credentials when the degree is posted on one's transcripts.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, once it's been conferred, which can sometimes vary from one university to the next (e.g., you may have defended your dissertation and completed internship but the graduation ceremony isn't for a few months, so technically your degree has not yet been conferred, even if all requirements have been met).

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed with the others that it is only after the degree is conferred. Even after the defense, the dissertation has to be formally accepted following any changes and formatting. There was a point where I was one (rather stubborn) margin space away from a doctorate.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I did as soon as I finished internship and defended. I didn't officially receive my degree till the following year b/c my university had a rule about finishing everything by June 1 and I didn't finish until July 15.