deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wowzers3000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I recently decided to switch from pre-med to pre-pharm. I will be finishing my prereqs in the next 2 years. I want to begin pharmacy school in the fall of 2021. Does this mean that I start applying to schools in the summer of 2020?

That's the idea yes.

Most universities go through PharmCAS plus a secondary application specific to their program. In times past the application portal opens up in July and lists the available time frames for "early admission" and regular admission start and end dates. Some will allow early admission and release of your transcripts by PharmCAS as early as end of July - early September (times past, September 3rd is the deadline for early admission applications). Most others will open regular admission cycle on or around the same timeframe to early October. The closing dates are listed through the PharmCAS portal. See hyperlink below

Short answer: never. Do not apply to pharmacy school as it is a terrible idea.

I would explore other fields, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. that pay as well as pharmacy if not better, offer better work conditions than pharmacy, have better job outlooks, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years of your life in school.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would explore other fields, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, etc.

Oh, if anyone is looking to go into engineering, the aerospace field is also looking a bit dismal. The market is saturated by workers with H1B1 visas, and wages are stagnating if not lowering.

Best time to apply is never. Not now, not ever. Just dont. Turn around and do not look back. You thought you were fighting Captain America alone, and then stupid Dr. Strange brings everyone back... and then Captain Marvel shows up. If this happens to you, you gtfo.

Reactions: 4 users
I recently decided to switch from pre-med to pre-pharm. I will be finishing my prereqs in the next 2 years. I want to begin pharmacy school in the fall of 2021. Does this mean that I start applying to schools in the summer of 2020?

To each their own, If you feel passionate about Pharmacy go for it and yes you will be applying in July 2020. Be sure to have all your’e pre-reqs completed before matriculation. For the next five years the market will be saturated but after that it will be fine you will be completing your program in 2025. Hope this helps

Why do you even want to go into pharmacy if you originally planned to go into medicine? They’re two completely different fields. I even had classmates who dropped out of pharmacy school halfway through school just because they got accepted into medical school. Do what you truly want to do. I also had another classmate who enrolled in medical school right after graduating from pharmacy school.

Reactions: 1 users
To each their own, If you feel passionate about Pharmacy go for it and yes you will be applying in July 2020. Be sure to have all your’e pre-reqs completed before matriculation. For the next five years the market will be saturated but after that it will be fine you will be completing your program in 2025. Hope this helps

Why will the job market be better in five years?

Reactions: 2 users
Why will the job market be better in five years?

It won't, it will be worse. This is what prepharms tell themselves to justify their decision to enroll in pharmacy in 2019. Many pharmacists will be laid off between now and 2025, the writing is on the wall.

Reactions: 5 users

The market can remain irrational for far longer than you can stay solvent.

The job market isn’t getting better and won’t be getting better. Have people been living under a rock? Walmart wants to slash 40% of their pharmacists. Walgreens, CVS, and Fred’s Pharmacy are closing down hundreds of stores. California just opened up a 14th pharmacy school. Texas already has 9 pharmacy schools. These are all facts.

Reactions: 3 users
The job market isn’t getting better and won’t be getting better. Have people been living under a rock? Walmart wants to slash 40% of their pharmacists. Walgreens, CVS, and Fred’s Pharmacy are closing down hundreds of stores. California just opened up a 14th pharmacy school. Texas already has 9 pharmacy schools. These are all facts.

CA has 14 pharmacy schools?! I thought it was somewhere around 8, it's worse than I thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you wanting to do Pharmacy?

I just want you to know that "Pharmacist Salary" on google is not an accurate representation of what you'll be making 5 years from now. It's more likely going to be around 70-80k, with far more debt than you'll be able to pay off. And And four to five years of the prime of of your life that would have been better spent elsewhere.

... Well, actually, it's almost equally as likely that your salary will be nothing. Tons of pharmacists will be unemployed.

How in the world is it going to get better in 2025??? The number of new grads keeps growing every year while the number of jobs is not. Why would you lie to someone like that?

You must be an employee or a dean of a pharmacy school. You are clearly lieing to the OP.

With joined date 7/13/2019, and based on this baseless lie youre telling, i am going to go out on a limb and say your trolling will cause someone’s life a living hell. So stop it.

Is cvs planning to all of a sudden become the starbucks or google of pharmacy? How does the saturation get better in 2025? Is Trump conjuring up some hidden government funding to support pharmacists or pharmacies? Or is the senate working on getting rid of frauds like pbms or apha or new pharmacy schools?

Mod, if youre reading this, you need to get rid of these people that are spreading false information that may ruin someone’s life.

Oh wow, I didn't think about some of the "everything's fine" people being from pharmacy schools and such. Yikes

Oh wow, I didn't think about some of the "everything's fine" people being from pharmacy schools and such. Yikes

A couple years ago the dean of one of the new diploma mills straight up lied to everyone here. Chapman I think.

Chapman is terrible! About one-third of the pharmacy class of 2018 couldn’t pass Naplex for an entire year! This is very shameful. If you can’t pass Naplex, then you can’t practice as a licensed pharmacist anywhere in the entire country.

Chapman is terrible! About one-third of the pharmacy class of 2018 couldn’t pass Naplex for an entire year! This is very shameful. If you can’t pass Naplex, then you can’t practice as a licensed pharmacist anywhere in the entire country.

I found the thread. Give it a read to see how the dean blatantly lies. He even challenged us to compare the first graduating class's NAPLEX pass rates to other schools!! LMAO that didn't age well.
Chapman University School of Pharmacy gets Candidate Status

It’s a real shame when a school has no shame in lying. So much for the first graduating class’ Naplex passing rate. It’s an embarrassment. Poor grads walked away with $200,000+ in student loan debt.

You apply when you get a time machine and go back to the year 2000.

With joined date 7/13/2019, and based on this baseless lie youre telling, i am going to go out on a limb and say your trolling will cause someone’s life a living hell. So stop it.

Is cvs planning to all of a sudden become the starbucks or google of pharmacy? How does the saturation get better in 2025? Is Trump conjuring up some hidden government funding to support pharmacists or pharmacies? Or is the senate working on getting rid of frauds like pbms or apha or new pharmacy schools?

Mod, if youre reading this, you need to get rid of these people that are spreading false information that may ruin someone’s life.
Im not sure what you're problem is but I am just saying that if this is something someone is passionate about and has thought about doing than a bitter person like you shouldn't stop them. This is my life too, I chose this path I am not spreading lies nor am I promoting any school. People are going to do what they want to do and what they think is best for them. Do you think people come here and listen to your negative comments, miserable, and bitter comments and decide to completely change their life because you said so. This is a platform for people to connect with others from similar fields and see what is out there. If anything Mod, should get rid of people like you. There is a way to talk to people but because you think you are behind a computer you can force your opinion down people's throat and call people name's because God forbid they are not agreeing with you. Just because you joined in 2008 that makes you some superior know it all. You need to get a grip and grow up.

Im not sure what you're problem is but I am just saying that if this is something someone is passionate about and has thought about doing than a bitter person like you shouldn't stop them. This is my life too, I chose this path I am not spreading lies nor am I promoting any school. People are going to do what they want to do and what they think is best for them. Do you think people come here and listen to your negative comments, miserable, and bitter comments and decide to completely change their life because you said so. This is a platform for people to connect with others from similar fields and see what is out there. If anything Mod, should get rid of people like you. There is a way to talk to people but because you think you are behind a computer you can force your opinion down people's throat and call people name's because God forbid they are not agreeing with you. Just because you joined in 2008 that makes you some superior know it all. You need to get a grip and grow up.

No need to get angry bc i called you out on your... what ever false information you stated.

Miserable huh? Hmmm well being a pic at a well-run independent pharmacy making decent money, i wouldnt call my life miserable. Although i am fed up with my profession going down the drain before my eyes.

I am not the only person calling you out though so dont be mad when people on here are opposing your “opinion”. What you stated has ZERO, i repeat ZERO, proof or evidence to back up. You clearly stated that in 2025 everything is going to be fine and dandy... yeah no. What we are stating isnt our opinions, these are facts. I know this bc ive been through it. And as someone who is in a hiring position, i know too well how the market is.

I may sound pessimistic but only bc thats how the pharmacy world is right now.

Youre right, people will not care what i tell them BUT why should people care what YOU say? Especially when youre just throwing wild predictions about the future without any merits whatsoever.

At least in my position, i can actually see and feel how the market is saturated. When i posted a job for a part time, PART TIME... like 9-18 hours a week, 200 people applied within the first week! I dont know about you but in Texas where supposedly saturation isnt as bad as the rest of the country, this is a crazy phenomenon to say the least. So you tell me, condescendingly as you have done before, how is 2025 going to get better?! I am genuinely curious.

Exactly! We are licensed pharmacists and we are posting facts, not opinions. We can back up all our claims if you like us to. We’re not trying to be negative or pessimistic. We’re being realistic. Back when I attended school, we get 7000 new pharmacists every year. Now that so many new schools opened up, we get 15,000 new pharmacists every year. Add a shrinking job market. Walmart is planning to lay off up to 40% of their pharmacists. Fred’s Pharmacy is closing down 129 locations. CVS and Walgreens are closing down hundreds of locations. Since things are getting really bad right now with the pharmacist job situation, they’re not going to improve in 2025.

Facts:

-Far more students graduating from pharmacy schools than job openings

-Stores closing or laying off staff in large numbers

-Six figure student loan burdens

-Falling salaries

-Vast majority of jobs are still in retail

Emotion:

-“Boo negativity of pharmacists! Why don’t you just quit already.”

-“But it’s my passion!” -those who haven’t stepped foot in a pharmacy

I’m going to do whatever I can to stand out so saturation won’t affect me!” -someone who has always only shown up and done the bare minimum

Many of these pre pharmers have NEVER worked in retail or hospital to even anticipate the market. How is your opinion better than facts?

Folks here are just trying to inform pre pharmers to NOT make a bad decision. You can if you want and learn the hard way.

Truthfully, many Rphs probably won’t have jobs in the next 5 years. (That’s an opinion, but based on my anticipation of big box corporations and the current state of pharmacy).

This is one of the most naive, immature posts I've ever read on this forum. You clearly stated that things will be fine in 2025, now we working pharmacists are asking you why you made this claim and you have no answer because it's completely false. Instead of providing an answer like a rational adult, you resorted to name calling and insults because we told you what you did not want to hear.

So we ask once again, why will things be fine for pharmacists in 2025? We are waiting for your answer.

Where do you get that after five years the market will be fine? What is your source? Every single projections and statistics I've read only says it will be worse:

I'm a college junior and I was wondering if getting a masters degree before pharmacy school would be beneficial in any way? My ultimate goal is to become a Director of Pharmacy at a Hospital any suggestions?

I'm a college junior and I was wondering if getting a masters degree before pharmacy school would be beneficial in any way? My ultimate goal is to become a Director of Pharmacy at a Hospital any suggestions?

No - you become director by having some balls... nothing to do with your education.

Unless your going to the school of big balls I would say your concept is off

Last edited:

Why are you contemplating on getting a masters? I got an MS in Neuroscience, not bc i thought it would help me get into pharmacy school but i quit in the middle of my phd. It may help but im sure it doesnt matter if your gpa or pcat sucks.

Also, youre waaaaaay ahead of yourself. First, apply and get in. Then think about how youre gonna even find a part time or prn job. Once you worked 10-15 hours a week for several months and get lucky enough to find a full time job, maybe, just MAYBE, you may want to rethink if you made the right choice to become a pharmacist. Oh yeah, no director of pharmacy isnt gonna happen.

As a P3 student looking at the SEVERE LACK OF EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES post graduation... I'm trying to help you when I say DON'T choose pharmacy right now. The market is *saturated, saturated, saturated*. Tell your friends that may be thinking Pharm too.

Even our professors have copped to the fact that **many of us may be unemployed** after graduating. I graduate in 2021, how bad do you think it will be in 2025?

Choose nursing, PA, or MD if you can hack it.
If not, please realize that there are lots of wonderful other jobs outside of medicine.

Dodge this bullet while you can, I would turn back the clock in a heartbeat if I could.

As a P3 student looking at the SEVERE LACK OF EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES post graduation... I'm trying to help you when I say DON'T choose pharmacy right now. The market is *saturated, saturated, saturated*. Tell your friends that may be thinking Pharm too.

Even our professors have copped to the fact that **many of us may be unemployed** after graduating. I graduate in 2021, how bad do you think it will be in 2025?

If not, please realize that there are lots of wonderful other jobs outside of medicine.

Dodge this bullet while you can, I would turn back the clock in a heartbeat if I could.

Market reached saturation around 2016. Some regions of country may still be hiring as I mentioned before but are you willing to relocate to boonies? Haha I dont know whos responsible for this stupidity but i would start with schools. If you’re currently in one of those new schools that opened after 2012, i would highly recommend hiring a very nasty lawyer soon after graduating and not be able to find work. Im sure there is a blood thirsty lawyer that can sue schools for millions for fraud.

I currently go to Texas Tech (TTUHSC SOP), which is one of the oldest and most respected in the state (founded 1993) and am about half-way through my P3 year... And yeah, that's what I've been told too, but all the Walgreens pharmacists I worked with just said "You'll be a great pharmacist" and "It's a hard job, but you've got it"... I was foolish enough to believe the schools and them :(.

I tell my wife and family I'm screwed, that I want to quit now while I'm ahead, etc. and all I hear is "Finish the degree and see".

I will probably not even take the NAPLEX/MPJE after graduation, as I don't want to waste another dime.
Currently looking into other trades that just make SOMETHING and have a good job outlook in the little free time that I have.

I struggle each day to go to rotation and give a **** about what the preceptor is quizzing me over, because I feel like it's all for nothing.

And hell no, I'm not willing to put my wife through that again. We had to live in Amarillo, TX for the first two years and there was some serious depression on her part (she left her home, family, and friends in San Antonio to come live with me, which I will never forget).

What I don't understand is HOW ARE THESE SCHOOLS STILL OPENING UP??? Boggles my mind...

I currently go to Texas Tech (TTUHSC SOP), which is one of the oldest and most respected in the state (founded 1993) and am about half-way through my P3 year... And yeah, that's what I've been told too, but all the Walgreens pharmacists I worked with just said "You'll be a great pharmacist" and "It's a hard job, but you've got it"... I was foolish enough to believe the schools and them :(.

I tell my wife and family I'm screwed, that I want to quit now while I'm ahead, etc. and all I hear is "Finish the degree and see".

I will probably not even take the NAPLEX/MPJE after graduation, as I don't want to waste another dime.
Currently looking into other trades that just make SOMETHING and have a good job outlook in the little free time that I have.

I struggle each day to go to rotation and give a **** about what the preceptor is quizzing me over, because I feel like it's all for nothing.

And hell no, I'm not willing to put my wife through that again. We had to live in Amarillo, TX for the first two years and there was some serious depression on her part (she left her home, family, and friends in San Antonio to come live with me, which I will never forget).

I suggest you at least pass all your boards. That way you still have options when youre done even if you dont want to go to the conventional route. Whats more important than your degree is your license. Which campus are you at now? Amarillo should have a decent job market. Just dont come down to Dallas or Houston. Or even Austin for jobs. Abilene or midland/odessa area should have a better market.

One of the funny things I constantly see on these forums is the "dont go to pharmacy school" chant acting like there is some magical job market they could go into otherwise.

however lets just assume that 1. You couldn't get into medical school or some other profession like PA or NP bc these program have a bias in there marticulants and you dont want to subject yourself to studying "feminist theory" (grossly misusing the word theory there) for the MCAT or other various reasons such as health problems, or personal disdain for the profession.

There is not one job market in the world that isnt saturated. I have friends with engineering degrees who have trouble finidng work. Ppl with masters in CS who work at the university making 60K a year. Or people who work in diagnostics making 60K as well. They struggle to make ends meet.

if you flood the market the value declines, jobs are not immune to this.

I have been unemployed for 5 years with a bachelors in biochem (with a 3.6 gpa)
there are no jobs in that field.

I know ppl with PhDs in physics who make 40k/ year.

Research assistants with MASTERS degrees make $12/hr at TTUSHC

Post docs make $15

I would gladly take a 80-70k salary over that.

One of the funny things I constantly see on these forums is the "dont go to pharmacy school" chant acting like there is some magical job market they could go into otherwise.

however lets just assume that 1. You couldn't get into medical school or some other profession like PA or NP bc these program have a bias in there marticulants and you dont want to subject yourself to studying "feminist theory" (grossly misusing the word theory there) for the MCAT or other various reasons such as health problems, or personal disdain for the profession.

There is not one job market in the world that isnt saturated. I have friends with engineering degrees who have trouble finidng work. Ppl with masters in CS who work at the university making 60K a year. Or people who work in diagnostics making 60K as well. They struggle to make ends meet.

if you flood the market the value declines, jobs are not immune to this.

I have been unemployed for 5 years with a bachelors in biochem (with a 3.6 gpa)
there are no jobs in that field.

I know ppl with PhDs in physics who make 40k/ year.

Research assistants with MASTERS degrees make $12/hr at TTUSHC

Post docs make $15

So then what do you recommend to people wanting to become PharmDs these days?? Go to trade school unless you want to struggle?

If you can even find a job, and even if you do it will most likely be in retail hell.

Being unemployed sucks. Being unemployed with $200k+ in loans is far worse.

So then what do you recommend to people wanting to become PharmDs these days?? Go to trade school unless you want to struggle?

I am saying that if pharmDs are pissed bc there isnt a job lined up for them immediately upon graduation then maybe they have unrealistic expectations, you are one person out of 7.5 billion its not the 1970s anymore and the market is flooded everywhere pharmacy is not unique

I am saying that if pharmDs are pissed bc there isnt a job lined up for them immediately upon graduation then maybe they have unrealistic expectations, you are one person out of 7.5 billion its not the 1970s anymore and the market is flooded everywhere pharmacy is not unique

Reposted from a different thread.

Pharmacy is unique in that you:

Graduate with doctorate level loans and hold doctorate level responsibilities and liability

Hold no better job security compared to the average bachelors' degree holder

Get treated like a fast food worker

Get ordered around by somoene with only a high school or associates level education

Reposted from a different thread.

Pharmacy is unique in that you:

Graduate with doctorate level loans and hold doctorate level responsibilities and liability

Hold no better job security compared to the average bachelors' degree holder

Get treated like a fast food worker

Get ordered around by somoene with only a high school or associates level education
Pharmacy is also unique in that holding “doctorate level responsibilities” is actually just perception and not reality. This profession has failed itself due to its inability to innovate and provide value to the system and pharmacists will forever be seen as ancillary staff in healthcare. Don’t give me that “well pharmacists are the medication experts” crap — what does that even mean when ANY healthcare professional can do MTMs and anyone with a pulse can count by 5’s and take phone calls?

If you go on Reddit and read the daily posts about retail hell and how pharmacy sucks, you can’t even tell if it was a tech or a pharmacist posting that thread half the time — evidence that we have not differentiated ourselves even from our support staff in any way (and therefore why does anyone think that the public perception of pharmacists will change?).