When do I know if I'm a junior in college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nanali

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi There! I've been reading the MCAT stuff and starting to get really confused by it. I know that the recommended time to take the MCAT is in April of ur junior year. My question for you guys is when do I know if it's my junior year, or do I wait to take all the medical school pre-reqs and then take the MCAT? I am confused b/c I was majoring in nursing and have all the pre-reqs done already and this year is my junior year, but i decided to change my major and pursue medicine. I am thinking of Bio or business, haven't decided yet. I am not starting school again till summer and so how would I know what level I am? :confused: I hope I didn't confuse you guys :) Right now I only have Chem 1 and Bio 1 out of the way. Am i considered a sophomore since I am strating over with either major?

Members don't see this ad.

The crucial thing to bear in mind is that most schools will not accept MCAT scores older than 3 yrs. If you plan on matriculating to med school immediately after graduation, then take your MCAT your pentultimate year (that way your final year you can apply and interview).

Just my $0.02

G'luck :luck:

nanali said:
Hi There! I've been reading the MCAT stuff and starting to get really confused by it. I know that the recommended time to take the MCAT is in April of ur junior year. My question for you guys is when do I know if it's my junior year, or do I wait to take all the medical school pre-reqs and then take the MCAT? I am confused b/c I was majoring in nursing and have all the pre-reqs done already and this year is my junior year, but i decided to change my major and pursue medicine. I am thinking of Bio or business, haven't decided yet. I am not starting school again till summer and so how would I know what level I am? :confused: I hope I didn't confuse you guys :) Right now I only have Chem 1 and Bio 1 out of the way. Am i considered a sophomore since I am strating over with either major?

Things you want:

1. Schools to have your scores early enough that you're fully in competition before the competition is half over. (April vs. August)

2. Good scores (rules out taking the test before you're ready).

3. Scores less than 3 years old.

Now you do the scheduling.

Members don't see this ad :)
last i checked my junior year was the year before my last year of college.

at least last i checked.

You generally know its your junior year when you count the years that you've been in college and come up with at least a 2 but not a 3.