When Do I Submit My AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tally Keys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

Quick question! I'm applying for the 2017-2018 cycle for both MD and DO schools! I took the MCAT last July, but things came up in my family and my boyfriend was in and out of the hospital so I didn't prepare like I should have. I still sat for the test and scored and got a 492. :(

I'm retaking the MCAT on July 21st, 2017. My question is, since I already have a really crappy score, should I wait until my new scores come out on August 22nd to submit my application to schools?

I know I should submit my application July 1st to a throwaway school so I have it verified and ready to go. Will submitting to all my schools with the current crap score and adding that I plan to retake have me thrown aside by schools, or should I go for it since I will have it ready int eh first few days of the cycle?

What's better? Wait until August 22 and have a much better MCAT on the application, or submit to all my schools at the start of the cycle with a "planning to retake?"

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

Quick question! I'm applying for the 2017-2018 cycle for both MD and DO schools! I took the MCAT last July, but things came up in my family and my boyfriend was in and out of the hospital so I didn't prepare like I should have. I still sat for the test and scored and got a 492. :(

I'm retaking the MCAT on July 21st, 2017. My question is, since I already have a really crappy score, should I wait until my new scores come out on August 22nd to submit my application to schools?

I know I should submit my application July 1st to a throwaway school so I have it verified and ready to go. Will submitting to all my schools with the current crap score and adding that I plan to retake have me thrown aside by schools, or should I go for it since I will have it ready int eh first few days of the cycle?

What's better? Wait until August 22 and have a much better MCAT on the application, or submit to all my schools at the start of the cycle with a "planning to retake?"

Thank you!
Submit to a throwaway school. If you scored > 500 it would be a different story, but (in my opinion) a 492 will get you tossed aside by most programs, especially MD.

Also, you should submit June 1st, not July 1st. That is the first day for submission.